Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog Bella suffers from pretty severe car sickness and resulting car anxiety. We've taken her to our dog park many, many times and pretty much take her with us whenever we go hiking or running so she knows she's going somewhere really fun. But those many short rides did nothing to fix her car sickness. And we've tried Dramamine, Benadryl, not feeding her beforehand, Gingersnaps, etc, but none of that stuff worked. I was about to buy a Thundershirt and even spoke with our vet about possible anti-anxiety medications or reside to only taking her out when absolutely necessary. She simply prescribed us "Bonine" and said dogs had more luck with it. So I promptly bought some and gave her a pill before our trip to the dog park today. Lo & behold, she was like a different dog and actually seemed to enjoy the car ride and was able to sit up and look out the window. My husband and I were so thrilled and relieved we actually enjoyed the car ride, too. Feeling so happy! Hope the stuff keeps on working :)

·
Got mutt?
13,642 Posts
Oh, the joys of a car sick dog. Leo is the only one of mine in recent memory to get car sick, and she finally outgrew it, thank doG.

Reactions: bellababy

·
Registered
316 Posts
My dog Bella suffers from pretty severe car sickness and resulting car anxiety. We've taken her to our dog park many, many times and pretty much take her with us whenever we go hiking or running so she knows she's going somewhere really fun. But those many short rides did nothing to fix her car sickness. And we've tried Dramamine, Benadryl, not feeding her beforehand, Gingersnaps, etc, but none of that stuff worked. I was about to buy a Thundershirt and even spoke with our vet about possible anti-anxiety medications or reside to only taking her out when absolutely necessary. She simply prescribed us "Bonine" and said dogs had more luck with it. So I promptly bought some and gave her a pill before our trip to the dog park today. Lo & behold, she was like a different dog and actually seemed to enjoy the car ride and was able to sit up and look out the window. My husband and I were so thrilled and relieved we actually enjoyed the car ride, too. Feeling so happy! Hope the stuff keeps on working :)
That's nuts! I was just looking up thunder shirts today too. Harley isn't bad in the car but I think he gets car sickness. He spews when we go for a ride longer than 30 min. We also go fun places but the ride isn't fun so he hates getting in there.

So happy your baby is better in the car. Can I ask what Bonnie is? I'd love for Harley to enjoy the ride.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am hoping with the help of the medication Bella outgrows it, too. We expected her to outgrow it by now but she just got bigger and bigger and the drool and the slobber and the vomit just got more voluminous. Just so glad I finally found a decent solution or at least something to help, even a little! :sweat:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can I ask what Bonnie is? I'd love for Harley to enjoy the ride.

It's a brand of medication called Bonine right next to Dramamine and half the cost. I gave Bella a pill about an hour before we left for the dog park (it says it works for 4 hours) and it worked so well.

I hope it works for Harley.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Did the Bonine help with the drool?

Tess gets car sick if it's dark or if she eats right before she goes in the car. Dramamine helps her not throw up but she still drools ridiculous amounts. I'm hoping it's not a conditioned response and that I can find something to make it better. She loves car rides but starts drooling the moment she gets to the car.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did the Bonine help with the drool?
For Bella, there was a significant decrease in the drool to almost none.

She is usually like a running faucet with all the drool and gets soaked in it. The back seat cover gets soaked as well :( She even starts drooling just standing by the car knowing she's going on a trip.

My vet said to try to use Bonine for a while to curtail the physical car sickness symptoms which in turn would help alleviate the anxiety she's developed as a result of her feeling ill in a car all the time. It seems to make sense. Hope it helps Tess.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Thank you for posting this. We have tried everything also!
We have done everything recommended. Sit in the car, short trips and build up. And all those different meds. But still at 2.5 years old my boy can't go 15 min in the car before he throws up. It really is too bad because he looooves car rides. Loves them! But then he starts to get sick and it is miserable for everyone.
Maybe Cato can actually enjoy it now, for a whole ride! I'll be calling the vet to check into it on Monday.
(Wonder why no one, vet included, has ever recommended this. )
Thank you, thank you! :D

·
Registered
11,886 Posts
Kelly is our 3rd puppy, and the only one to get car sick.
- driving home 14 hours from breeder, no sickness or anxiety...due to someone holding her

Car anxiety started, on the first Monday home:
- Mom went back to work, Dad (retired) and Kelly drove up town in the SUV.
- puppy was foaming at the mouth & gaging, sitting in the passenger bucket seat beside me
Over the next few months, when we traveled as a family, Mom drove Volvo wagon while Dad held the puppy, on my lap in the front seat.
- if puppy was put in the back seat alone, her mouth would froth up

So driving my truck alone, I started making puppy lay right beside me...while I drove.
- this move eliminated her car sickness, without an extra adult in the vehicle to hold Kelly

So for first 2 puppy months:
a) family drives, puppy was held in the front passenger seat
b) driving alone, puppy had to lay beside driver...no running around & looking out the windows
(plus she got tons of belly & ear & muzzle rubs, while I drove...to keep her mind of getting sick)
Within a few months, puppy was getting heavier to constantly hold, over long distances.
- now she could jump into the back seat and not get sick...now cured
Her early car sickness anxiety was triggered by being alone or at a distance from owner contact.
- we realized this and used it to our advantage, planning out puppy placement in the initial vehicle rides

·
Registered
465 Posts
I wish I could say I haven't tried this... Been puked on to many times to count trying this option.

Kelly is our 3rd puppy, and the only one to get car sick.
- driving home 14 hours from breeder, no sickness or anxiety...due to someone holding her

Car anxiety started, on the first Monday home:
- Mom went back to work, Dad (retired) and Kelly drove up town in the SUV.
- puppy was foaming at the mouth & gaging, sitting in the passenger bucket seat beside me
Over the next few months, when we traveled as a family, Mom drove Volvo wagon while Dad held the puppy, on my lap in the front seat.
- if puppy was put in the back seat alone, her mouth would froth up

So driving my truck alone, I started making puppy lay right beside me...while I drove.
- this move eliminated her car sickness, without an extra adult in the vehicle to hold Kelly

So for first 2 puppy months:
a) family drives, puppy was held in the front passenger seat
b) driving alone, puppy had to lay beside driver...no running around & looking out the windows
(plus she got tons of belly & ear & muzzle rubs, while I drove...to keep her mind of getting sick)
Within a few months, puppy was getting heavier to constantly hold, over long distances.
- now she could jump into the back seat and not get sick...now cured
Her early car sickness anxiety was triggered by being alone or at a distance from owner contact.
- we realized this and used it to our advantage, planning out puppy placement in the initial vehicle rides

·
Registered
743 Posts
@Beaumont
Yah, I kind of wish that were an option in my case, as it is typically just J and I. She tends to drool up an ocean in my back seat (my front seat is much, much too small for her, and I would worry about her safety (and my own). I am just happy I have leather seats... easy to clean.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
I used Bonine for two different young dogs and it really worked. I had tried ginger tabs, car acclimation techniques with the first dog and none of that worked.

Only had to use the Bonine for a month or so because once they get rid of the drool/nausea response....they tend to then be totally fine the rest of their lives. If they've associated car= throwing up for a long time, it will take longer, but I found they go from being sick, to just drooling, to nothing in a 4-6 week period.

You can only give it once a day, so when I used it I'd start with one pill one hr before a car trip on an empty stomach. I found I could use training treats or if at a dog show, ring bait, and the dog never threw up on the ride home even with food in the stomach.

Our local WalMart has Bonine behind the pharmacy counter. You have to ask for it but it is not a prescription item and is ridiculously cheap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts