Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my friends who lives in San Diego CA, recently got a red pup and had his ears cropped a few days ago. He tells me the vet did not give them any medication for the pup?? Is this normal or should pup be getting pain meds and antibiotics? The pup seems to be crying a lot and shiverring.

What do you guys think?

Please advise, I will pass the word.:help_up_2

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Pain meds can be requested. None of mine seemed to need them. I don't recall giving antibiotics either.
None of mine cried or shivered. I don't know what to make of that. How old is the pup and when did he have the surgery?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, I don't have the details on the puppy, but just left my friend a message and he should call me back to let me know.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Mr. Desi:
cody didn't get either pain meds or antibiotics. He seemed to do fine. the only trouble he had was trying to get under the kitchen chairs - he kept getting hung up on his cup and couldn't figure it out. :)

I think if the pup seems fine, he probably is, but if you friend is concerned he should call the vet. Better safe than sorry.

cc

cc

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
CoAl-s-Mom said:
Pain meds can be requested. None of mine seemed to need them. I don't recall giving antibiotics either.
None of mine cried or shivered. I don't know what to make of that. How old is the pup and when did he have the surgery?
I *think* I may have gotten antibiotics when I had my litters cropped. But I definitely never got any pain meds. And I never saw any need for them. I have a whole roll of film of one litter the day they were cropped when I brought them home...they were partying their little hearts out.

It sounds like there might be more going on than a normal after cropping experience if the puppy is crying or anything..and in that case, a trip to the vet would be a good idea.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Dobedad said:
I've never actually seen the cropping done....so they just hold the puppy down and start cutting?

Dobedad, it is done under gereal anesthesia. I can't imagine any one cropping with out having the pup knocked out. that would just be too horrible.

cc

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My friend called me back and said that the puppy is 12 weeks old and cropping was done a few days ago. They took him to the vet and the vet said the puppy was crying for attention as he didn't see anything wrong. They are suppose to see him every week for about 8 weeks. I'll keep you guys updated.

THanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts