Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I will be getting my first doberman puppy this fall! I live 4 hours from the closest city so I do not have much access to in-person training. Are there any books, videos, or youtube channels anyone recommends? I want to train early, and I want to do it right, so any resources are welcomed!

·
Got mutt?
13,763 Posts
Check out the Fenzi Dog Sports Academy. Fenzi Dog Sports Academy - About us Positive based training in a variety of sports, from tricks to nosework to obedience to agility. Even if you never plan to compete, the foundations classes, like Get Focused and Relationship Building Through Play, will help you in everyday life.

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Check out Leerburg.com
They have a lot of videos, free articles and streaming. They also have a vast Q&A section

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
In addition to FDSA, which I too highly recommend, check out Kikopups youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/kikopup

A few good books are:
Power of Positive Dog Training, by Pat Miller
On Talking Terms with Dogs: Calming Signals, Turid Rugaass
The Focused Puppy, by Deb Jones & Judy Kellar (these are the instructors for the Get Focused class Rosemary references above, and they also teach a Performance Fundamentals class that I believe is a somewhat similar process as laid out in the Focused Puppy book.)

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Welcome, and congrats on your soon-to-be pup.

In addition to the great suggestions above, for Fenzi, and Kikopup's youtube channel, Suzanne Clothier has many great free articles Suzanne Clothier | Relationship Centered Dog Training

You have to register to view, but they do not spam you.

Another page with great resources is ClickerSolutions Recommends

Dr. Leslie McDevitt's book/DVDs, Control Unleashed (especially the puppy version)--I so wish I'd had access to that knowledge/those exercises with every single dog I've ever handled or owned.

Good luck, that should keep you busy for a while ;)

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Ah, one more! LOL. I just saw this posted by a friend on Facebook yesterday and thought they had some really good exercises and information for puppy foundation.

This website is geared toward agility foundation, but these exercises are awesome for any puppy in terms of impulse control, body awareness, personal play and relationship building, different methods of reinforcement and reward, etc. There are a bunch of different videos in there for various activities. It's not the most intuitive navigation, but click on the pictures to go to a section and look for the "next" button on bottom right to move forward within a section.

Topic Shortcuts

So regardless of whether you pursue agility, I think there is some really good stuff in here. I bookmarked for the next time I get a puppy!

Good luck with your puppy.

·
Pocket Doberman!
165 Posts
I just want to say thank you all for posting those - I really appreciate the links. Some of those youtube trainers are just as good as trainers I've been to in person. The resources you've provided are an awesome substitute for training classes.

The only useful thing I have to offer here - buy a decent clicker. Starmark or similar. Buy a treat pouch. I resisted spending money on that stuff for years, and life is so much easier now with a clicker that doesn't stick and a treat bag that can hold itself open.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts