Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

NM, CO, TX, AZ, Backyard Breeder surrendered 16 Dobermans to authorities

6K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  KenyaARaineCD 
#1 ·
This is the place where we bought our puppy from. What a mistake to buy from a BYB. We have learned so much about dobermans and dogs in general that we are now going to adopt ONLY....

16 underfed dogs found in Valencia County home | KOB.com

They are being turned over to the NM doberman rescue if anyone is interested.

#3 · (Edited)
Zetterberg... thank you for being willing to learn and put that learning into practice.

things like that make all the 'wrestling' with trolls and willfully ignorant worthwhile. ...because there are people like you who do "get" it!

Thanks so much! :)

ETA: Is this Ryan dobermans? or did you end up going to a different breeder?

#6 ·
We were already committed to our puppy when I joined this forum so we went through with it....

Ryan Dobermans also called Desert Sun Dobes.

Doberman Pinscher, Doberman puppies for sale, Dog Breed Info Center

Apparently People are coming out of the woodwork (even from states away) and trying to claim ownership of CH SEVENLY PROOF IS IN THE HEIR (Eragon) for obvious reasons.

#7 ·
It looks like they had a Bruda dog as well (at least, the ad claims so).

Reactions: millerdobes
#12 ·
If the Bruda dog ends up in rescue, I'm sure Sandi will want him back. I know that dog, I know his story, and trust me - it'll be a long time coming if that dog can make it back to the Midwest. Does anyone know who can be contacted, in case that dog is one of the ones that ended up in rescue?

#14 ·
One of the complications right now is that the dogs are still at animal control and have not yet been turned over to rescue. As far as the rescue groups are concerned, everything is up in the air until animal control releases the dogs.

Doberman Rescue of New Mexico is spearheading the effort to get these dogs into rescues as soon as they are released. The rescue group I volunteer with has offered to take two of these dogs, San Antonio Dobe rescue has offered to take two dogs, and I think the Dobe rescue in Corpus Christi has offered to take one dog. I know that Doberman Rescue of North Texas is also involved, but I don't know to what extent. The Doberman Assistance Network has offered help.

And, while all this sounds good, Dobe rescues are at or over capacity and it's going to take a massive effort to get all these Dobes into safe, nurturing environments. So, once again, please get the word out: all Dobe rescue groups need more foster homes. If you can offer sanctuary to an abandoned Dobe, please do so. It may not be one of the New Mexico 16, but you will be opening up a slot that one them could take.

If you can't adopt or foster, please consider a monetary donation to help offset the cost of transporting the New Mexico 16 to their foster homes.

Thank you for loving this breed.

#16 ·
I wish they hadn't let the stupid woman from Animal Control slam all breeders. Making that "more often than not..." comment wasn't necessary. Most "breeders" are caring, loving people and their dogs ARE in their homes, and their dogs ARE a part of their family. But the BYBs out there are so widespread it gives people the impression that all breeders are to be avoided. To me, the people who had these dobes aren't "breeders" at all. They're just a$$holes.

#26 ·
I wish they hadn't let the stupid woman from Animal Control slam all breeders. {snip}
While I agree substantially with your post, if the breeder of the New Mexico 16 is who we currently believe it to be, then this might put the woman's comment into context: http://www.dobermantalk.com/breeding-breeders/7421-breeder-frustrations.html#post114307.

The plan so far, if nothing changes, is for a couple of lost souls from The Land of Enchantment to arrive on Monday in the Alamo City to set and rest a spell, have the memory of their sad and lonesome past gently eased from their minds, and find love in the bosoms of families who will adore them in the manner in which they deserve.

#18 · (Edited)
I *think* Zeke is our Dobie's dad, but I don't know. We had to pressure the breeder to get us our papers or we'd report her and when they finally came, his birthdate was off by 2 months and the listed parents were not the ones she told us previously. She was a nightmare to deal with and I'm glad she has been busted-it's too bad the dogs had to suffer. I just wish we would have done something - I had no idea it was this bad.

#19 ·
First off I live in New Mexico. I used to show Zeke and Eragon. They are both lovely dogs inside and out. Great temperaments.

Secondly, I do Miniature Pinscher rescue. I have rescued so many I have lost count.

Thirdly, I have also volunteered to foster via NM Doberman Rescue.

Now to the meat of this, which I am infuriated about...
I DO NOT think it is in the least bit funny that Eragon will be neutered. This is NOT doing a service to the breed. Having said that, I am perfectly willing to help in having his sperm collected and frozen. This way he can be neutered, find a forever home and be happy.

And to those people who "only" will get a rescue. What would happen if all of the Dobermans in all of the world were neutered? They would be no more. And I think that would be sad.

Granted C A was not a reputable breeder (I found this out after having shown her dogs). But THERE ARE REPUTABLE BREEDERS! I would hope that a lovely dog like Eragon would live on through REPUTABLE breeding. He has been tested for hip dysplasia. Orthopedic Foundation for Animals

I am sorry that this is going to cause a hurricane of comments, but it has upset me so much my hands are shaking. Please be open minded.

#20 ·
No one on this thread suggested that ethical breeders should stop breeding or that people should only get rescues. However, breeders like this one SHOULD be held accountable for this and shouldn't be breeding, whether they've scammed their way into quality dogs or not.

#22 ·
You should send a PM to user "Sizzledog" about Zeke (and no, those do not get sent to email, though you will get an email alert if you have them turned on in your settings).

Reactions: EragonSupporter
#27 ·
Last Hope Doberman Rescue took two females into our adoption program: Kari, a blue female, natural ears, docked tail, about 4 years old; Cricket (formerly "Athena"), black female, natural ears, docked tail, under a year old. We think she might be Kari's daughter.

Both have been fully vetted: vax, spay, HW test, deworming, flea and tick prevention, microchip. I'm happy to report both are HW-negative.

I am fostering Kari. She just got here and is recovering from her spay, so I don't yet know her personality, but I will say she is strong, pulls like a sled dog! When I get to know her better, I'll start a thread about her.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.