Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Senator Lesniak is attempting to take away NJ voters rights to purchase a puppy or kitten from a reliable source and pushing citizens to obtain their next pet from shelter or rescue sources only! Bill #S63 bans the sale of puppies and kittens from licensed pet shops AND bans all breeders and buyers from selling or purchasing their pet from anyone outside of the state of NJ via online transactions, face to face transactions only!

While everyone supports shelter animals and adoptions, to ban everyone in the entire state of their CHOICE of whether to adopt or shop, or where to purchase a quality bred puppy or kitten is not the American way.

Here is the meat and potatoes of this bill if it passes:

1. Want to purchase your next puppy or kitten from a wonderful, conscientious breeder in California? Sorry, Lesniak says you won’t be able to unless you are willing to fly or drive to California and do a “face to face transaction”! No Internet sales are allowed!

2. Are you a reputable breeder in NJ and have found some wonderful homes for your upcoming litter but they live in other states? Sorry, unless those wonderful homes are willing to come directly to you and do a face to face transaction, you are limited to finding homes for your babies only in the local area!

3. Are you a breeder in or out of the state of NJ that buys and/or sells puppies/kittens to other breeders to diversify/improve your breeding line? You will no longer be able to have that great working relationship to better your breed because no sales in or out of the state of NJ will be allowed unless they are IN PERSON transactions!!!

4. Do you want to find a good, local pet shop with puppies/kittens available from reputable sources? There are NONE, because all pet stores are banned from selling puppies/kittens from ANY source other than a shelter or rescue group!

THINK about what that means…

Suppose you want to buy a Siamese kitten or a Collie puppy and there are no breeders or available litters within driving distance of NJ, Senator Lesniak says: “tough” you can’t have the puppy or kitten of your choice from a reputable breeder of your choice; go adopt a shelter dog/cat instead! What if you do the research and find out that the type of puppy or kitten you want from a reputable breeder is only available in Nebraska? Unless you want to fork over the extra money to fly out to Nebraska to do an “in person transaction”, you are out of luck, go adopt a shelter or rescue pet.

Want to purchase your next puppy or kitten from a pet shop? Nope, the only animals that will be found now at pet shops will be shelters animals for adoption. And what happened to all the health warrantees that pet shops were previously required to offer to protect purchasers? Well Shelters and Rescues are EXEMPT from offering even the most basic of background information or warrantees to say that the adopted pet is healthy!

And the most important thing to remember here folks:

Contrary to what Lesniak says, that he is pushing this bill to help reduce homeless pets, there will always be plenty of shelter/rescue pets available because there are ZERO regulations preventing them from being imported from elsewhere and there are ZERO regulations requiring shelters or rescue groups to provide adopters with even the most basic of background information or warrantees to say that the adopted pet is healthy!

Please sign the petition https://www.change.org/p/adopt-or-shop-it-s-your-choice

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Except for the fact that I think the government should stay out of breeding I don't see much wrong with these rules.

1 and 2 and 3. I will more than likely purchase my next pup from an out of town breeder and I still plan to fly or drive to pick it and can easily pay when I meet the breeder and see their facility. I also think the breeder should meet their puppy buyers as well. Purchasing a puppy willy nilly over the internet without seeing a breeders facility seems careless and thoughtless to me. Plus you could get around the internet with having them mail a check.

4. No breeders I know would send their puppies to pet shops those should be for rescue pups and dogs only IMO.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
There's quiet a bit of that I think is illegal.

Greenkouki, seriously? :) It is the Republicans that want to be Big Daddy and tell one how to live.

·
Registered
343 Posts
If New Jersey voters don't like it, they have the option of voting him out of office. They can also write their Senator and representative and voice their opinion, written communication is more effective in dealing with legislators as they have a pile of letters to show what their supporters feel about an issue. I've taken part in a couple of campaigns against bad legislation on a Federal level, and we the little people won. So it can certainly be done, it just takes a concerted effort

·
Big Lil pup
7,299 Posts
There's quiet a bit of that I think is illegal.

Greenkouki, seriously? :) It is the Republicans that want to be Big Daddy and tell one how to live.
Linda, if you truly believe that, I invite you to spend some time in Portland, the most absurdly progressive Democratic city in the US. Our city government has its nose in every bodies business. They make it a rule to tell us exactly what we can and cannot do.

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
I also think the breeder should meet their puppy buyers as well. Purchasing a puppy willy nilly over the internet without seeing a breeders facility seems careless and thoughtless to me. Plus you could get around the internet with having them mail a check.
If you're buying a dog from another country that sort of makes things difficult - especially if you're after a rare breed that you don't have in your own country. Buying a dog from overseas is expensive enough, if you have to fly yourself there and back to do the transaction in person you could be doubling the price of the puppy.

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
I do agree that the only animals available in pet stores should be rescue animals (though I wish pet stores weren't allowed to sell animals at all)

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
If you're buying a dog from another country that sort of makes things difficult - especially if you're after a rare breed that you don't have in your own country. Buying a dog from overseas is expensive enough, if you have to fly yourself there and back to do the transaction in person you could be doubling the price of the puppy.
You make a good point I didn't think about that.

I do know lot of plane carriers are also moving towards not shipping dogs at all.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Linda, if you truly believe that, I invite you to spend some time in Portland, the most absurdly progressive Democratic city in the US. Our city government has its nose in every bodies business. They make it a rule to tell us exactly what we can and cannot do.
Exactly, that is the typical Democrat way.. Republicans want LESS government interference.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Exactly, that is the typical Democrat way.. Republicans want LESS government interference.
Well, we can all go to bed knowing we are correct, just like we woke up this morning.

This is what happens when you let animal rights wacknuts buy politicians, regardless of which party they belong to.
My first thought, till the political comment was made. Wonder how much PETA contributed to this idiots campaign.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I don't really see much of a problem with these rules.

Buying a puppy you've never seen except in pictures from a breeder you've never bothered meeting seems like a bad idea. For all they know, you can be completely different from what you report to be and you might not even be getting the puppy you want.

Pet stores not selling puppy mill dogs? Great! Cuts down on mill profits and gets more rescue/shelter dogs adopted. There is no possible way to get a pup or kitten from a pet store that comes from reputable sources because NO reputable breeder will just give their pups/kittens up to a place that sells to the first person with cash in hand.

It's a bit silly to say that shelters have to provide a health guarantee on their animals when most of their animals come from less than ideal environments. Only breeders that have health tested their dogs and keep track of conditions can think about providing health guarantees and even then, health issues can crop up in the healthiest of linage.

But what do I know? I'm just a democrat proud to call herself a Jersey Girl that likes the fact that my homestate is doing something to cut down the amount of puppy mill dogs being sold in the state and increase interpersonal meetings between breeders and buyers. :rolleyesww:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well said. I travel A LOT. I've spent time in over 40 states, and reside in Texas. There's a reason Texas is becoming inundated with liberals from out of state. Because while the liberal states are failing, the red states are prospering even in the downturn. This isn't opinion. It's fact. Unfortunately these people don't realize that conservative principles are what made our states prosperous, and if they vote out Republican cronies and replace them with liberal cronies, we will eventually be broke just like the states that they fled. With the exception of abortion and gay marriage, Republicans are about freedom. Even on those hot button issues, most want states to decide. Democrats on the other hand keep power grabbing via the federal plan in order to control the states. FTR, I don't care about social issues. It's all political nonsense used to appease the masses. I care about the bottom line. Taxes, regulations, and the free market economy. No point discussing it further.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Well, We can all go to bed knowing we are correct, just like we woke up this morning.

My first thought, till the political comment was made. Wonder how much PETA contributed to this idiots campaign.
Well said. I travel A LOT. I've spent time in over 40 states, and reside in Texas. There's a reason Texas is becoming inundated with liberals from out of state. Because while the liberal states are failing, the red states are prospering even in the downturn. This isn't opinion. It's fact. Unfortunately these people don't realize that conservative principles are what made our states prosperous, and if they vote out Republican cronies and replace them with liberal cronies, we will eventually be broke just like the states that they fled. With the exception of abortion and gay marriage, Republicans are about freedom. Even on those hot button issues, most want states to decide. Democrats on the other hand keep power grabbing via the federal plan in order to control the states. FTR, I don't care about social issues. It's all political nonsense used to appease the masses. I care about the bottom line. Taxes, regulations, and the free market economy. No point discussing it further.

Hahahahah ...at least we can agree on the one thing, your comment I bolded, cause so much else could be debated till the cows come home, with no resolution.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I completely agree with you. Also, on that note my hubby is from Texas- one day hoping we will be able to move to TX. So much I love about Texas- except for the poisonous snakes - we don't have that going on where I am from. :lol2:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.