Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
formerly known as moona
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience using the antibiotic Nitrofurantoin with their dogs?

Apparently it is a human antibiotic that used to treat urinary tract infections but can be used in dogs (at a very low dose) to prevent urinary tract infections.

I tried searching the forum and couldn’t find any posts on it. A few of the brand names it’s sold under are: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin and Nitrofur Mac.

Any experiences or information is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
No experience with this, at all... sorry!

If I was dealing with repeated UTI's, I would not consider using this unless I had first tried cranberry capsules (I would suggest Solaray CranActin, 2 X day) and found them to be ineffective. Whether you do the cranberry or the antibiotic, I would expect to have to continue... development of a UTI would be likely if you cease whichever you were using.

·
formerly known as moona
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No experience with this, at all... sorry!

If I was dealing with repeated UTI's, I would not consider using this unless I had first tried cranberry capsules (I would suggest Solaray CranActin, 2 X day) and found them to be ineffective. Whether you do the cranberry or the antibiotic, I would expect to have to continue... development of a UTI would be likely if you cease whichever you were using.
Thank you! She's taking Cranberry Rx right now and the Nitrofurantoin was a "next step" kind of thing if the cranberry didn't work out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts