Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
how in god's name do you get that on a squirming, "Im so excited to go for a w-a-l-k I can't sit still" dobeman??????? I've never seen one, but it does look interesting.

vv

·
Banned
675 Posts
I've never seen one, either, but it does look like a lot of work to get on the dog.

Also it seems to me to illustrate the extremes to which some people will go to avoid simply training the dog.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Micdobe,

Not sure if your comment about extremes was geared toward me or the product...

To clarify,
I am training the dog with a trainer who uses a gentle leader. This is supposed to be an alternative to the gentle leader and one that doesn't twist the dogs neck.

·
Banned
675 Posts
It was geared toward the product.

I have used a gentle leader in the past under the guidance of a private trainer. It didn't work with my dog, but that is neither here nor there as far as my comment about the product. It looks so complex that it seems to me it's geared for people who want to be able to walk a dog on a loose leash without having to do the basic groundwork.

In the case of my dog, the basic groundwork had already been done, and actually pulling was not the main reason for using the gentle leader with him. My present dog doesn't need anyting beyond a regular training collar so that's all I use.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the comments.

I am using a private trainer and she wants us to use the Gentle Leader basically all of the time. When we are training, when we take him for a walk around the neighborhood for fun, etc.

I do trust that the trainer knows what she is doing. She is very reputable and even trains dogs for movies and commercials.

I am not very fond of the Gentle Leader though. Especially, for Dobermans. I should just let her know, she might have an alternaitve.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
I had the same problem with a Halti which from what i gather is the same as a gentle leader,it was rubbing Mischa's nose,here is something that is supposed to overcome that problem http://www.dogmatic.org.uk/ I am waiting for one to come so I will be giving it the once over.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Hey Brumwolf those are pretty nice and I like the designs. I wrapped vetrap around Jasmines gentle leader this made it a litte softer and it does not cut into their nose.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
despite my first reaction, I would like to hear from folks who have tried them, neither one of our dobes has been leashed trained and we are trying to undo 5+ years of leash pulling with apollo and 1 and a half with Molly. I like the idea that it doesn't turn the dogs head - our vet said not to use a gentle leader with Apollo due to his wobblers.

cc

·
Registered
437 Posts
Seen one very similar to that here in the U.K. My friend used it on her German Shepherd and its very good. There is no turning of the dogs head at all and her dog didn't try to get it off like with most headcollars. Her dog doesn't need it anymore, but when she was using it she was very impressed.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
brumwolf said:
I had the same problem with a Halti which from what i gather is the same as a gentle leader,it was rubbing Mischa's nose,here is something that is supposed to overcome that problem http://www.dogmatic.org.uk/ I am waiting for one to come so I will be giving it the once over.

have you gotten it yet Brum and how do you like it?
cc

1 - 12 of 12 Posts