Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Twinkle Toes
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

I was looking up floating rib in Dobermans and came across this page... I think I attached an Instagram photo, I attached the link at least... this was us hiking to Tinker Falls in NY two years ago the other is us at McConnells Mills State Park. He's getting older, almost 12 so the hikes are shorter. Any suggestions on ways to keep him active as a senior? I was thinking about scent work since he has no problem finding rabbit poop :2smile:

I'm also concerned he's lost weight in the past, so for the last couple of months I have been feeding him 1/2 dog food and 1/2 homemade dog food.

·
Super Moderator
15,370 Posts
Welcome to DT. I also have a 12 year old male who is very active- and he loves nosework. Honestly, I haven't seen a doberman who does not love it.

Weight loss can be a sign of health issues but if he's not showing any other signs, the weight loss may just be because he's a senior. Older dogs do not absorb nutrients as well so they require more calories. It is good to keep them a little lean though. I doubt he will complain about getting a little extra each meal. Are you giving any supplements? I would recommend fish oil and glucosamine/msm/chondrointin of some sort.

·
Premium Member
7,056 Posts
Hey all!

I was looking up floating rib in Dobermans and came across this page... I think I attached an Instagram photo, I attached the link at least... this was us hiking to Tinker Falls in NY two years ago the other is us at McConnells Mills State Park. He's getting older, almost 12 so the hikes are shorter. Any suggestions on ways to keep him active as a senior? I was thinking about scent work since he has no problem finding rabbit poop :2smile:

I'm also concerned he's lost weight in the past, so for the last couple of months I have been feeding him 1/2 dog food and 1/2 homemade dog food.

Regarding floating rib.....site called ........
DogDiscoveries.com
had some interesting information.
Welcome again

·
Premium Member
8,982 Posts
What Greenie said - When our seniors got in that age - I noticed they lost muscle mass in the there rear legs - muscle weights more than fat

BTW -- Welcome from Indiana

Doc

1 - 7 of 7 Posts