Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just want to say hi and introduce myself as a newbie to the site. I fell in love with Dobermans after a friend asked me to dog sit his for a week and I have owned one ever since. Although my last Doberman ( Gannon ) passed away 4 months ago I am getting another one in a few weeks and I can hardly wait. In the meantime I have been enjoyed looking at the photos here and reading some threads. This place is awesome. There is so much info here and its great to see so many other Dobie lovers.

My last Doberman was named Gannon and I am still looking for a name for my new puppy. He is 5 weeks old so I better hurry up.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Welcome to DT. Very sorry for you loss.

Please make sure you carefully select your next breeder. Check out the link in my signature.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Welcome from Texas :]

I'm sorry for your loss but can't wait to hear more about your new puppy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to DT. Very sorry for you loss.

Please make sure you carefully select your next breeder. Check out the link in my signature.
Thank-you for the good advice. Actually one of the reasons I came here was to do just that and I am very happy with my breeder's credentials. She only breeds occasionally ( less than one litter a year ), she does extensive health testing on the parents, gives a health guarantee against genetic diseases for the first two years and takes impeccable care of her dogs. I got my last dog (Gannon) from her after she took him back from an inappropriate home. I really respect breeders that keep track of their puppies and make sure they never end up in a less than desirable situation. Most of her dogs end up in the show ring, some excel in agility and others have done well in utility. She doesn't have to advertise her puppies as they are well spoken for before they are born . I feel very privileged to be one of the few people getting one of these beautiful dogs.
I am paying a hefty price but I know my puppy comes from great stock and both he and his mom have had the greatest prenatal care. I also love knowing that I can call her and get great advice whenever I need it. I can't count the times I called her over the last 10 years and she would always update me on all his litter mates and tell me what was wrong and often how to fix it. On at least 2 occasions she knew more than my vet did about the problem.
One was when the tips of his ears started getting a few white hairs. My vet seemed baffled so I called her and she told me it was frostbite and that I shouldn't be alarmed if it got a bit worse over the next week ( which it did )She provided me with a great coat with a built in hoodie so they would be protected on cold winter walks.
I know there are a lot of stupid and irresponsible breeders out there. It annoys the hell out of me when I see ads like this : "I have a 140 LB KING DOBE, great for breeding, no papers." I still don't know what a " king " Dobe is, maybe he loves in a castle , but I am assuming they are referring to a large European. Oh then there are breeders selling Miniature Pinschers as " Miniature Doberman Pinschers "
Nothing against Minpins..in fact I have one..but he is not a Doberman, even though he thinks he is.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Welcome from Texas :]

I'm sorry for your loss but can't wait to hear more about your new puppy.
Thanks Patch. I can't wait to pick him up and post some of my own pictures. Right now I have a few that the breeder sent me. Your dogs are soooo beautiful !!! :nicejob:

Day one, I don't know which one is mine but I think it might be the black one with the collar.

5 weeks...This is MY GUY !!!

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
I realise it's a bit last minute...but you wouldn't be able to get a girl rather than a boy could you? I noticed you mentioned your min pin was male...whilst they might get along great whilst the dobe is a pup, once he starts to mature from 8 mths onwards, male on male aggression might cause some dangers to your min pin. Getting a girl could avoid a lot of serious problems in the future. It's worth taking it into serious consideration.

and welcome! We are here to help ...even when we advise some re-thinks ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I realise it's a bit last minute...but you wouldn't be able to get a girl rather than a boy could you? I noticed you mentioned your min pin was male...whilst they might get along great whilst the dobe is a pup, once he starts to mature from 8 mths onwards, male on male aggression might cause some dangers to your min pin. Getting a girl could avoid a lot of serious problems in the future. It's worth taking it into serious consideration.

and welcome! We are here to help ...even when we advise some re-thinks ;)
Thanks Australdi ! I had considered that myself but as you mentioned it is a bit last minute and all of these dogs were spoken for before they were even born. She only had 8 and one didn't make it. All seven have people as anxious as I am to take them home so it is a bit too late for a change of heart. The truth is I think it will be ok because my minpin is neutered, he isn't aggressive and he got along splendidly with my dog that just passed ( also a male) I know my minpin would be delighted to have a female but I live in the country and we often have neighbors dogs stop in to play. These dogs are all male and they get along marvelously. Having a female in the mix could create problems where Ben tries to protect her or act dominant towards these male visitors.( Roman Mastiff, and 2 boxers )
Its too late for a re-think on this one but you made a good point and I hope I can come back for advice in the future. :)

PS I love your signature ! It cracked me up. :roflmao:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome from Lansing, KS.:)
Thanks KissNme ! I looked at your gallery and saw your wonderful dog modeling a nice coat. :nicejob: I also love that you called your dog " Kiss " In fact I am leaning towards " Bacci " which is not just a great chocolate candy..I believe it is Italian for KISS.

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
It's more the dobe's temperment that is a potential problem with male aggression (It's a breed thing)....and neutering (and training) doesn't solve the issue...just be prepared that at the first signs of aggression...growling and posturing....you may have to crate and rotate these boys for the min pin's safety. Never, Never let them run together without close supervision...even if they seem to get along great...it's just not worth the risk, and things can go pear shaped in an instant. ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
It's more the dobe's temperment that is a potential problem with male aggression (It's a breed thing)....and neutering (and training) doesn't solve the issue...just be prepared that at the first signs of aggression...growling and posturing....you may have to crate and rotate these boys for the min pin's safety. Never, Never let them run together without close supervision...even if they seem to get along great...it's just not worth the risk, and things can go pear shaped in an instant. ;)
I am well aware of that. For the last 30 years I have only owned large dogs ( 4 Dobermans, a Rottie and a Rhodesian Ridgeback ) Owning a small breed is really nerve wracking. They are so vulnerable. The first day he was here he managed to find a bees nest that was in the ground. OUCH !!! 15 stings on his little body meant a trip to the vet and 24 hours of antihistamines.
Then there was the "gentle golden lab " that played with him everyday and all of a sudden decided to pick him up like a toy. Fortunately I was right there and managed to get the dog to release him before he was able to give him a lethal shake. Everyone was shocked that "such a nice dog " would do that without provocation.. but the vet said it happens all the time. :(
He could also get carried off by a bird of prey or buried in the snow. There are a lot of things that could happen to such a small dog .
My hopes are that his big brother will love him and want to protect him as a member of our family, but I guess only time will tell. In the meantime I will be vigilant because I have seen what kind of damage a large dog can do.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hello and Welcome to DT!
Thank-you Darkevs ! I love all things Dobie and this site has been a real Godsend since my Gannon passed away. He died on Thanksgiving week-end and this is the longest I have gone without having one of these magnificent creatures in my home. It has not been easy but I was able to log in here and look at the gallery photos whenever I wanted a little lift. Nothing like looking at well cared for Dobes to raise my spirits.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just received another photo of my baby at 6.5 weeks and I wanted to post it. It won't before I get to drive down to Montreal and pick him up. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts