Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! What a cool Forum. :cool2:

My wife and I have decided it's about time to start our family. We're starting with the 4 legged kind first before we have kids. We want both a cat and a dog and we'll probably be getting a kitten this week. The plan is that we get the kitten first and then a few months later get a puppy. This way the kitten has some confidence when the pup arrives. I've always loved Dobes (my uncle had one) and I think they're probably the perfect dog for my wife and me. We want a great companion first and foremost. We also want a dog that's protective (I travel sometimes for work and I want a dog that will protect the family while I'm gone... that's why we're not going with a Labrador.) Also, we want the dog to be kid and cat friendly, and a light shedder and drooler.

Do you guys think we're on the right track with a Dobe?

We're in the SF Bay area. Any recommendations where to get one? We don't need a 100% purebred showdog (and aren't really wanting to spend $1500)... a mostly-dobe would be just great. We do want a male and we want a puppy.

Thanks!

·
Registered
821 Posts
Welcome to the forum, you will find lots of great people here with loads of great advice!!!!

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
welcome to the board!

if you are happy with a just mostly-dobe, have you considered looking into a rescue or petfinder.org to search for mostly-dobe mixes near you?

mostly dobes are still enough dobe, methinks :) the best parts shine through!

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Welcome to the forum from the brumwolf pack here in the U.K.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
hey welcome! Congrats on starting a family :) A doberman sounds perfect for you to me...as long as you will have the time to train and exercise your dobe. Do you have a fenced in yard? I think having a secure yard is important cause it kinda teaches them that they can run and burn off their energy with you outside and be calm and relaxed inside...:)
I agree that rescue or adoption sounds wonderful for you...the one Im close to usually has 8 month olds etc...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
doberkim said:
welcome to the board!

if you are happy with a just mostly-dobe, have you considered looking into a rescue or petfinder.org to search for mostly-dobe mixes near you?

mostly dobes are still enough dobe, methinks :) the best parts shine through!
Thanks! I have been keeping my eyes peeled. I'm starting to bookmark all kinds of shelters and such so that I can check a couple times a week.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LapDog said:
hey welcome! Congrats on starting a family :) A doberman sounds perfect for you to me...as long as you will have the time to train and exercise your dobe. Do you have a fenced in yard? I think having a secure yard is important cause it kinda teaches them that they can run and burn off their energy with you outside and be calm and relaxed inside...:)
I agree that rescue or adoption sounds wonderful for you...the one Im close to usually has 8 month olds etc...
Yes, we have a pretty good sized 6 ft redwood fenced yard... 50x50 feet. At least enough room to play a little ball or get some exercise if we don't take him out to the dog park or running (both my wife and I are pretty active). Ideally we'd like a little younger than 8 months when we get him (hopefully 3 or so). I think that'd be better for training purposes and getting accustomed to the cat... as well for the selfish reason that we want a cute puppy.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum! Good luck on your search for your new addition. You have come to the right place for a wealth of information!

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Like Doberkim said, Petfinder.org is a super place to find a purebred or mixed dobe (or kitten or any other breed for that matter!) Welcome to DobermanTalk be sure to keep us updated on your search!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts