Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, like i said, I am new here. I'm 30 yrs old, married for eight years, and have two kids. I grew up with Dobermans when I was a kid and always vowed to have one of my own when I got older. Well, it's taken some time, but I am picking up a black/tan male in two weeks. I really cant wait.
I really enjoy diving head first into everything I enjoy, so be expecting me to ask lots of questions since I consider many of you to be professionals. I hope to contribute as well. See you all soon.

I cant say for certain which one he is, but he's one of the five in this pic...

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I just realized I posted this in the wrong place. :(

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, and I do need help with names... any suggestions? Feel free...

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
charlesmdodson said:
Oh, and I do need help with names... any suggestions? Feel free...
Welcome. They are adorable. When you have him in your home maybe his personality will show and names will come more easily.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Welcome to DT. They are so cute. Can't wait to see more pictures of him when you get him home. I bet you are very excited and counting down the days.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new little guy! There a lot's of websites for name picking. Just do a search on "dog names"

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Hello and welcome to Doberman Talk!! I moved your thread to the New Members area.

I'm mom to a three year old doberqueen named Lexus, her 7 year old chew toy named Harley (you see below in my siggie ) and an 8 year old Heinz 57 named Scrappy, plus a barrage of cats :D

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Welcome to DT from me and my girls here in the U.K.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I put a couple pics in my members gallery... one of my puppy's sire and one of his dam. Daddy is a real red monster..

·
Premium Member
8,740 Posts
charlesmdodson said:
Well, like i said, I am new here. I'm 30 yrs old, married for eight years, and have two kids. I grew up with Dobermans when I was a kid and always vowed to have one of my own when I got older. Well, it's taken some time, but I am picking up a black/tan male in two weeks. I really cant wait.
I really enjoy diving head first into everything I enjoy, so be expecting me to ask lots of questions since I consider many of you to be professionals. I hope to contribute as well. See you all soon.

I cant say for certain which one he is, but he's one of the five in this pic...
Welcome and I hope this forum is a big help to you.

I do want to ask a question and can't figure out how to do it without seeming snooty so I'm just going to be blunt. How invested are you in this litter? The reason I am asking is that you state that you have 2 children and I am assuming that they are young. I don't know what kind of breeder you are going to but from the pictures, the sire looks hugely FAT....... there is just no other way to put it - sorry, I did say I was blunt! That leads me to believe that the breeder might be a byber (Back Yard Breeder) If so, I wonder how much time they took in things like health testing, temperament testing, and making sure that the dogs being bred were even of any kind of breed quality.

Maybe the price is great........... I don't know how you found the breeder...... but even if you don't care about the quality of the dogs being bred........for the sake of your children, I would really want to know more about the temperament of the dogs.

I hope you don't take any of this in the wrong way - it is not my intention to make you mad or upset you. As the mother of two elementary aged children AND as a Doberman fancier - my antenna always goes up when young children come into the picture. Warning people about BYBers is something I do a lot of............ If you came here to learn, then you came to a good place:)

Maybe I am completely wrong about the breeder...........I've been known to be wrong on occasion........

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, he is overweight, but i like what i see from this breeder. He has been working with dobermans and breeding for decades and has a genuine love for the animals that i can hear every time I talk to him. Axel, the male, is a big mellow boy who is very nice.
Also, he is giving two of the pups to his daughter and son in law, and they also have children. The puppies are beautiful and all very healthy. Further, he guaranteed me that i would be 100% satisfied and if i wasnt, I could return the dog for a 100% refund (it wasnt for the "bargain" either. he wasnt a cheap pup).
I am pretty sure he only owns one female and she is great. I have looked through the pedigrees and like what I see. I have also got letters from people who have his other puppies that glow about their great dog. So, I guess the answer is yes, I do trust him and trust where I am going with this pup.
I have limited experience with Dobermans (I only had them as a child) but i do have a lot of experience with all sorts of animals: horses, other dogs, cats, parrots... so I already have a wealth of things planned for the new pup.. obedience training, extensive socialization, etc.
I am really looking forward to this pup.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Does the breeder do any health testing that you are aware of? Do they show their dogs? You say he has been working with dobermans for decades, in what venues? And has he put any titles on his dogs, either in obedience, showing, temperment testing...etc?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I could not answer all of those questions for sure... What I am more concerned with at this point is his integrity and his genuine passion for what he is doing. I will vet-check the pup thoroughly for my own peace of mind and, god forbid, if anything is discovered I will deal with it at that point. Maybe I have not gone about this the truly correct way, but I like what I hear from all the other people who have his dogs and the amount of attention his own dogs get, as well as the puppies. I had this same feeling about my Beagle when I got her. I am sure this is a good situation for us. And if something is wrong, or the pup isnt everything we think he'll be, I have it in writing that i can give him back for a 100 percent refund. So, that sounds good to me.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
charlesmdodson said:
And if something is wrong, or the pup isnt everything we think he'll be, I have it in writing that i can give him back for a 100 percent refund. So, that sounds good to me.
Well..that's not really a *great* guarantee if you really think about it. Those kind of guarantees are set up so the breeder rarely has to stand behind them..most people are NOT willing to return a well loved family member in order to get a refund. Breeders know this and capitalize on it. A reputable breeder would NEVER ask you to return a puppy in order to get a refund in the case of a health problem. They'd be willing to take the puppy back at any time, but they also would allow the owner to keep the puppy AND provide a refund.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I have always believed it's a good idea if you have kids in the house and want a dog, especially a Doberman, to get a puppy.

Pups have less "baggage" (as the snake-avoidance guy says) and will grow with the kids.

If you're looking for someone to do the ears, you can't do any better than Dr Jezbera at Riverside Animal Hospital (on Magnolia just north of Central) in Riverside.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A puppy for sure... he will be 8 weeks when i get him. And thanks for the ears reference. I needed that.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts