Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. My name is Rodney and I live in Orlando. I have been wanting a Dobe most of my life but certain circumstances has not allowed this to happen. I have a boxer and min.schnauzer now and have had dogs my whole life just never a Dobe.I wont be ready to add another member to the family for another year or two but want to get a dobe and get into obedience and agility. This is all new to me that's why I want to find out how and where to get involved now.I want to be as knowledgeable as possible before hand. I have tons of questions. Where can I find info on where and when (in the central florida area) do they have odedience and agility competitions? I have always trained my dogs in basic obedience myself but want to learn from the experts. I really want to start attending events now to get prepared.I know I have a long road ahead of me and I hope I don't sound to ignorant. If someone could point me to a good place to start it would be greatly appreciated.I just want to get around people in these events locally to start meeting people and learning how to get started. Sorry for being so long winded.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Hi Rodney. Welcome to DT. You can find information about shows and trials in your area on infodog. Home Page, InfoDog - The Dog Fancier's Complete Resource for information AKC Dog Show Events, and Dog Products and Services. Click on "Show Information" (Top Left), then click on "Search by State" (Top Right). Click on your state and you will be given a list of all AKC Sanctioned shows in your state.

Under the "Type" heading you will see the following:

AG = Agility
FT = Field Trial
O = Obedience
RLY = Rally
AB = All Breed (Conformation)
AB/O/JSHW = All Breed Conformation Show, Obedience Trial and Junior Showmanship.

There is tons of information here and you will want to read through the Breeders Section.
Also spend some time on the DPCA (Doberman Pinscher Club of America) website, DPCA | Home. You will find a wealth of information on what makes a responsible breeder, health issues within the breed and also there is a Breeders Directory organized by State.

There are several members on DT from Florida and I am sure they can provide more information for your State.

Ask questions and enjoy the forum.

·
joie de vivre
11,272 Posts
Welcome from Missouri! You currently have two breeds that often make excellent agility dogs! Boxers can be more of a challenge to train but you'll learn a LOT if you start training now with your current dogs. Mini Schnauzers are brilliant little dogs and they love to be active. It's like they're born for agility.

I've said numerous times I wish I'd been taking agility classes by myself long before getting my puppy started because there's so much I didn't know apart from what I need to help the dog understand! So I don't believe you can ever start too early. :)

This is a useful tool on the AKC website that will help you find AKC training facilities in your area and what training they offer.

AKC Training

Here's another section of the site that allows you to search AKC events in your area.

AKC Event Search

·
formerly known as moona
1,461 Posts
Hi Rodney! Welcome from Indiana!

avianantics & brw1982 gave great suggestions on how to find events in your area. I was going to recommend the AKC Event site search as well; I've used that one many times to find events near me.

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
Welcome to Doberman Talk!

It's definitely a smart thing, to do your research first before taking the plunge and getting a puppy (or adult dog). I don't have any input on events, etc. in your area (though you got a couple of good responses on that!), just wanted to say Hi.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Welcome from south Florida............Did you attend the big dog show in the Orange County Convention Center just this past month? You could have seen and heard alot of info. Keep reading the forum you will learn alot..Your dog is a cutie in the avator..:)

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
If not this week end I believe in the next week or so, there's a nice show in Ocala. Check infodog.com.

Also, I agree the schnauzer typically loves agility. When I took Joe to his classes, there was schnauzer who was always more eager to please than the rest of the dogs in the class. At the time my Joe was just interested in counting the females and sniffing rears to see who might be interested.

Welcome from KC.

KC

Why not post some photos???

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome from south Florida............Did you attend the big dog show in the Orange County Convention Center just this past month? You could have seen and heard alot of info. Keep reading the forum you will learn alot..Your dog is a cutie in the avator..:)
No I didn't . I wish I would have known about it though. Thank you.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If not this week end I believe in the next week or so, there's a nice show in Ocala. Check infodog.com.

Also, I agree the schnauzer typically loves agility. When I took Joe to his classes, there was schnauzer who was always more eager to please than the rest of the dogs in the class. At the time my Joe was just interested in counting the females and sniffing rears to see who might be interested.

Welcome from KC.

KC

Thank you . I will check into it.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for all of the replies and all the helpfull information. I am getting excited about getting into the shows and competitions. I have never been to one.Take care.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Hello welcome to DT from Orlando! Glad you are being responsible and finding out all the info possible on your future baby! DT will be a great way to get all the info. you need.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi and welcome. I live in the Winter Park area. Check out Orlando Dog Training Club, they are located on the fairgrounds in Orlando here is there link. Lots of great people with tons of information. That is where I go.
Orlando Dog Training Club - Home Page
Thank you. I am by there once in a while but never noticed the training club. I will definetly check into it.Once again thank you.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Welcome from KC.

KC

Thank you. I found the site. Ocala is the weekend of 2-12. I will try to make it to that one.Doesn't look like a whole lot happens in orlando from what I have seen. Still looking though. Thanks again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts