Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings Everyone.

I'm from a small city in Wisconsin where both my partner and I are fortunate to say that we now have four happy faces in our family. Our precious Tangerine (adopted adult cat) that we've had for five years and now we also have our sweet four year old Mocha. This will be my second doberman and my partners first. My first doberman was a black and tan sweetheart that made me want no other breed other than a doberman for the rest of my life. I've been a lurker for awhile now (I love this forum) and wanted to finally say hello. I'm also excited to have you all meet our lovely rescued Dober/Lab girl Mocha Chocolata Ya Ya. (Mocha for short)

[Doesn't she have a cute lower "pout" lip?]​

The Story of How We Now Have a Mocha
We traveled from Wisconsin for 11 hours til we reached Ohio this past Sunday. Why travel 11 hours one way and another 11 hours back? Well ... we knew we wanted to add a dobie to our family so we had been in the process of looking for a puppy/younger dobie through PetFinder. We found Mocha on PetFinder & had also seen that she was listed on DogsInDanger as a sweet girl that only had 2 days left to live (due to shelter space). We decided to give her one last shot at life so we called the shelter and asked if they would let her live one more day til we could get there on Sunday. So why an adult and not a puppy? We noticed from our research that Wisconsin has many no-kill shelters and even a doberman rescue so we felt pretty confident that eventually those dobies would find loving homes and of course the puppies on Petfinder would also probably find homes as well.

The trip was on. And on our way to Ohio we talked about how we simply hoped that she would do well during a cat test and that she would take to us as much as we would take to her during our visit. It would've been extremely hard to not take her home, knowing her fate, if the fit was not right for either her or us. Thank our lucky stars ... she was more than we ever could've hoped for and she seemed to bond with us from the get-go. Only slight negative we could say about her was the fact that she was not a good walker on the leash at all - which we expected. (puller & obsessive sniffer) But that is OK because as of today we have started walks with a gentle leader and what a difference!

So there you have it - this is our Mocha. She may be older than we had originally wanted and she isn't a pure dobie either, but eh so what! We love her and she loves us and that is all that matters. So that is my introduction to myself and our little family.

Thank You :)

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
welcome from RI best of luck with her :swing1:

·
Alpha
2,797 Posts
Welcome. I love the pouty lip..first thing I noticed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
heidi's mom: Thanks for being my first welcome. I appreciate it.

pdubois64: Thank you for the kind welcome. Glad you love her pouty lip too.

Juicec6: You're welcome, but it sure feels weird accepting praise for being able to have such a darling in our lives. But I know what you mean when you say thank you for it.

michael327: Thank you for the welcome to the forum and the appreciation of saving a life.

I really enjoy how welcoming and knowledgeable people are here. Thanks for making me feel like I have a place to share one of my passions in life. I look forward to spending more time around here.

Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
you are welcome - this place rocks :butfly:

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
she is ADORABLE!!! and thank you for adopting, and welcome to the board!!!! we need MORE pics!!!

·
Registered
749 Posts
Hi, I'm originally from the Chicago/Wisconsin area myself. That is great. My partner would probably love your dog more than the dobe I am going to get. She loves labs; I love dobies. Put them together--voila maybe--more on her end than mine. lol I want a dobe!

However, if I had been in your shoes, I too would have succumbed to that pouty lip. Congrats and keep us posted.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
konamommy: Thank you for stopping by to welcome me to DT.

kkmills: Hello to you in WY - thanks for the compliment on my pretty pouty girl.

doberkim: I happen to think she is adorable too, but I think I'm a tad bit biased. More pictures will be sure to come. I only have two more for now. She's getting better with the camera though. For awhile there she'd hear it turn on and immediately come and stick her face in it to see what it was. (Thus ruining the shot)

[Waiting in her cave for the blanket to be cleaned. Look at her pretending to be camera shy.]

[Mocha in Motion - She is a difficult whipper snapper to capture.]

Sorceress Mage: Oh I'm sure your partner will come to love whatever dog you get. At first maybe she'll still be thinking about a lab, but eventually she will fall in love and forget all about that. :) Dobies have a way of making people fall in love with them and then most people end up not wanting much else after that. I wanted to have a dobie too, but fate had other plans for My Mocha and I. Yes, the pouty lip is extremely dangerous - all beware of the power of the pout.

The dobie lab mix has been pretty good so far. I have noticed that she is a tad bit slower than the pure breed dobie I had as far as intelligence is concerned. But that could just be her personality or maybe the lab in her has some impact. She also is a very messy drinker - drips a water trail from the bowl to about ten feet away. lol I could've just lucked out with my first dobie though, because he was very neat and extremely intelligent.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to stop by and say hi and to appreciate my Mocha girl. She's been a real gem. Mocha is considerate of the size difference between her and the cat and takes the introduction process real slow. She goes into a down position, all by herself, for the cat to come check her out. Mocha is certainly ready to be buddies, but Tangerine is more like ... I let you in my territory... I'm sharing my humans with you ... don't push it.... I'm not so ready to love you like mad crazy just yet. But let me tell you though when it is treat time in our house they sure are willing to get super close for those tasty snacks. I give it another two weeks and they'll be buddies.

Reactions: crystal100

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
If that water trail is an indicator, then my Keylime is a Lab in Dobes clothing!
Welcome to the forum from North Carolina!
Thanks for sharing your home and heart with someone that really needed it.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
Welcome to DT, and thanks for rescuing! Mocha looks very sweet. This is the ONE place where people don't get sick of dog stories and pictures!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If that water trail is an indicator, then my Keylime is a Lab in Dobes clothing!
{ha!} That is too funny Cystal100! Lab in dobes clothing ... hmmm. And hey it was just Halloween so just to be on the safe side you might want to consider a DNA test just to be sure. Because who knows Keylime could have been fooling you all this time.

I'm sure all breeds can be messy it's not like I'm totally deluded into thinking that dobies are somehow infallible... although in my book they do come pretty close. ;) But with Mocha she is extra sloppy ... it is sort of like half way through drinking she decides to go somewhere else and is so distracted that what was in her mouth just seems to fall out en route. It's like someone played a cruel trick on her with one of those practical joke dribble cups. Except she has one permanently. Wouldn't be too bad if it weren't for the hardwood floors. Maybe that will be one of the tricks we teach her ... to wait a few seconds after drinking and to wipe her mouth all dainty and lady like on a cloth napkin. (not holding my breath on that one)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is the ONE place where people don't get sick of dog stories and pictures!
ellenm: Your welcome is warmly accepted. Mocha is unbelievably sweet and so willing to please her family. But I don't think you want to encourage me with the dog stories and pictures. Especially the stories as I tend to be long-winded. But this is good to know and hey if I ever get in trouble for contributing too much I now have proof that you encouraged it. *winks*

1 - 19 of 19 Posts