Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had planned on ordering some agility equipment after the first of the year (what with spending all our money on Christmas and all :) but I've been quite impatient.
Today on our walk I noticed many pilons with like these plastic bars over them blocking roads. Looked like really good jumps to me :)
So with hotdog in hand, I put Chi at a sit on one side and hopped to the other and called her over. She promptly ran to the bar and then under it :-(
So I took one end of the bar off so it was on the ground and slanted up and had her go over that. She did it! Woohoo! We worked our way up the bar until she was bouncing over the full height. It was so much fun and really wore her out :)
Going to ask the construction crew when I see them next if they have any old pilon/bars thingys they want to get rid of :)

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
We made our jumps out of pvc piping...They have like a shape like this +then a pole coming up from the center of the +we ordered these notch things that can hold a small thin tube of pvc...and it runs along the side...they work real good if the construction people dont have any old ones...and if you have a little time...We also made our weave poles out of thin pvc piping and connectors. I wish I could buy some tunnels. Duchess really loves tunnels...everything else...I don't know if I would want in my backyard...like A-Frames...and Teeter...and the dog walk...seems a little too dangerous to just have in the back yard...like if the dogs just decide to jump on the A-Frame.
Has Chi taken Agility? If not, you should sign her up! she would like it...and the human has to learn more than the dog haha. Some of the turns, and switching sides, and stuff is soooo confusing! lol :boldblue:

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would love to get Chi in agility but unfortunately that's not going to happen while were on this island. Finding a basic obedience trainer was impossible. So we're on our own until we return to the states or maybe go back to Europe... I hadn't thought of making my own equipment though.. thanks for the ideas :)

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Yay for Chi. One of Gracie's past owners put her through agility. She was the top dog in her class. I guess she loved it so much. I would love to get her into it again, but the only class around here is about 2 or 3 hours away from what I know of.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
thats right i forgot you live on an Island. I saw a pic of the ocean on Dogster! Absolutly beautiful!!

·
Registered
491 Posts
I took Darmok to a beginner agility class when she was a year old. Since then, I made my own bar jumps from pvc pipe (very inexpensive to make, and they look really good) a tire jump made from 4" corrugated plastic drain pipe, (although some people use an old motorcycle tire, wrapped in duct tape) held up by a pvc frame, so it's height is adjustable, and I also made her a dog walk (10 ft long 2" x 10" lumber suspended between 2 sawhorses with 2" x 10" ramps up and down) , a teeter board and an A-frame. My dogs love to play on it, and so do the neighborhood kids!!
I tried for a tunnel, but the ones you buy for kids to play in are too thin, and probably wouldnt last through too many fast trips through by a dog, and the dog type are kind of expensive, not to mention the shipping charges, but a friend of mine got me some blue plastic 55 gal. barrels that I sawed the ends out of, hooked them together, and it's almost as good as a professional agility tunnel. My dogs dont know the difference--they think they have a great playground!

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Lapdog and 2 Dobies for the suggestions.

We love it here but it does present a few problems we wouldn't have if we were in the States or even up on mainland Japan (not that Japan is really a mainland but it's about a million times bigger than Okinawa LOL :)

I'm going to head out to the local monkey store (called that by the American's because we don't know the real name and because it has a huge monkey on the sign) and see what I can find.

My plan today is to walk around the construction site at lunch time with a tin full of fudge in my backpack. I frequently stop and work obedience around this site because it provides a great distraction and they always watch, so Chi and I are familiar to them. Once I get enough watching, I'll start working on the jumping part and hope that gets their attention. Then I will barter with fudge... If that doesn't work, I'll carry a case of Budweiser with me tomorrow... :) They also have these huge plastic tubes that are like really big bendy straws... If I can talk them out of like a 6 or 8ft piece of that along with the cones and bars, I'd be thrilled LOL The hardest part is the language barrier, I can say Hello, Goodbye, Good morning, thank you and please and I can count to ten in Japanese, that's about it.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Maybe "please, and thank you" will get you a good amount of pylons and bendy tubes. The Bud might get you even more!!! :)

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Gracie's_Mom said:
Just keep pointing to what you want hold up your fingers and pass out fudge or beer. :)
:3dbiggrin :3dbiggrin Ha!! That is an universal language for any place!!!! Very good GM!!!!! I'd say that was 100% funny!!

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
That's gonna be great for her Tracy! Tom made me some jumps and Lexus loves them! Next I want to get a tunnel though, we used one in class and I didn't have time to properly introduce Lex to how exactly to use it, (keep in mind it was only stretched about a foot or so, so the dogs wouldn't be afraid) and I ran her up to it, release her as it APPEARED she was headed through it, and she JUMPED it!!! It was tall too, an oversize tunnel! Needless to say, we were the laughing stock at that class ;-)

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
we did some with Spirit and he is a natural at it.. the only think that he does not like it the teeter tattor.. Well, can't blame him.. he is 100+ and that thing does bounce a lot.. I also made my own jumps and tire jump.. Gypsy can jump like crazy.. i have set the jump to almost 3 1/2' and she jumped it at a stand still...There just isn't anyplace to take them around here.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
sounds great tracy!

but something to remember is that chi is still very young, and should not be jumping full height - when does that are going to be doing agility start young, they do obedience and ground work and work on contacts, etc -- no jumping full height at such a young age!

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You're right Kim. I actually thought of that just last night. It's so hard to wait to do all the fun stuff like jumping and serious jogging! But I realize the importance of waiting too, especially since we know that we are likely facing hip problems in the future. I don't think it will be too bad if I can get the jumps here and keep them low and on the grass though... Right? :)

·
Registered
491 Posts
Introducing low jumps is a really good idea. That way when she is old enough to tackle some serious jumping, she will already have the concept down about what to do--go over them instead of around them! You both will have so much fun learning agility!

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
DUchess looooves doing long jumps...if we tell her to jump too soon..she will jump...and make it. haha. probably 9 feet judging by the mats that they use she jumped over three 3-foot ones. and then one time she did a real short jump haha. She was going real slow...and jumped late haha...and she jumped...then with her front paws on the ground and her but way high in the air she looked like she was doing a handstand! haha! She also likes to use our lab as a jump haha. My lab if I tell him JUMP! and wave my arms up...he jumps all the way up to my shoulders ...just Straight UP! haha funny funny!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts