Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was extremely dedicated to getting my 6week old blue pup. I drove from NJ to NC to get him 1316 miles :yeahbaby: All i need now is to find a good place to get his ears done when he gets a little older and to suggestions?

Attachments

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
Welcome to DT, you will learn a lot here. Can't believe someone would travel that far for a puppy from an unethical breeder. I hope it was just a case of you not knowing any better.

Some info on the difference between Doberman breeders, health testing that should be done, and what a breeder should have provided you with(including ear crop):

Buying A Doberman Pinscher

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Welcome to DT and congrats on the new addition. Make sure you choose a cropping vet based on their past work and recommendations from doberman people. Bad crops can be REALLY bad.

I also hope you stick around and learn all you need.

Also, I don't know if that chain is just for show or not but puppies, especially one too young to be away from it's mother and littermates do not need to have chains around their neck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
welcome to dt and congrats on the new addition. Make sure you choose a cropping vet based on their past work and recommendations from doberman people. Bad crops can be really bad.

I also hope you stick around and learn all you need.

Also, i don't know if that chain is just for show or not but puppies, especially one too young to be away from it's mother and littermates do not need to have chains around their neck.
the cain was just for show

·
Premium Member
8,441 Posts
Hi and please stick around DT. There is alot of valuable information here with knowledable people who can help you. Having a 6week blue is going to be hard so please take the time to read and do what is best for this little puppy.

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
Hello! Welcome from VA! :)

I like dilutes :)

Did you by chance purchase from the dobie den? Or Harradens?

Good luck with your pup! Please post more pictures!

·
Banned
3,463 Posts
Hi and Welcome to DT. You asked for recommendations for a Vet that crops. I see that you are located in NJ. One of the best ear croppers in the country is located in NJ, Dr. Sophia Koster Home According to her website under the EAR CROPPING FAQ's:

What You Need to Know About Ear Cropping...

Many people have questions about various aspects of ear cropping, and we hope this information will help. It explains the decisions you will need to make before your pet's upcoming surgery, and gives you some information about our practice in general.

Q. Should I have my puppy's ears cropped?

This is a personal decision. Ear cropping is not right for every dog, and it is not right for every person who owns a dog. We recommend a consult appointment with our veterinarian if you are unsure about whether or not to crop. There is a tremendous amount of aftercare involved to make sure the ears stand properly, and an owner who is not committed to being diligent about the aftercare, should probably not crop their pet. A consult appointment will give you the opportunity to discuss the pros and cons of ear cropping with our doctor, and help you to make the best decision for your new puppy.

Q. At what age should I crop my puppy?

The answer to this question will depend very much on the breed of the dog. In general, however, with few exceptions, no puppy will ever be cropped at our office after 5 months of age. In general, dobermans and danes are cropped between 7 and 9 weeks of age. Boxers are cropped between 9 and 12 weeks. Pit bulls are done between 3 and 4 months of age. Smaller breeds like min pins and miniature schnauzers are cropped older -- around 4 months of age. For all other breeds, you will need to contact us directly. These age estimations are based on the average size of the puppy, and the average ear size for that breed at that age. Individuals can vary, and we prefer for pet owners to call us so we can help determine the optimum age for each individual pet .

Q. How soon after the surgery will I have to come back for a recheck?

The ears are secured to a cup once cropped until the edges are healed completely. You will need to come back to our office for suture and cup removal and the first ear posting 2 weeks after the surgery.

Q. How long will it take for the ears to stand?

A perfect crop can be a flop if the aftercare is not handled correctly. Most pit bulls, amstaffs, min pins, and miniature schnauzers require only 3 or 4 taping appointments and the ears will stand. Other breeds like dobes, danes, and boxers may require 4-6 months of proper taping until the ears will stand. The length of the time for ear posting varies based on breed, ear crop length, and genetics (which can influence ear leather and shape on individual dogs.) We prefer that clients return to us for all the posting -- it is important to us that the aftercare is handled properly so that the outcome of the cropping is the best possible.

Q. I like the way my old dog was cropped -- can you do a "custom crop" to make it look the way I want?

If you are looking for a particular look, we would recommend and ear crop consultation appointment. Each crop is done to compliment an individual dog's look. We will not do a crop that we would consider unflattering to your dog, so if you ask us to do something that we don't like, the answer would be "no." Ear crops are designed based on an individual dog's head, ear length and quality, purpose of the pet (show or companion), and based on the breed specific standards.

Q. What are the Hospital Hours?

Our hospital is open Monday thru Friday from 9:30 am to 6:30 pm. On Saturdays, we are open from 9:30 am until 1:30 pm. The clinic is closed on Sunday.

Q. Do I need to have an appointment to get my puppy's ears cropped?

Yes, office hours are by appointment only. Surgery appointments are made only on certain days of the week, and not typically scheduled on Saturday.

Q. When should I schedule an appointment?

Many of our ear cropping appointments are made in advance. To help ensure that you get an appointment, it is better to call our office early when you first purchase your puppy or when you are thinking about purchasing your puppy. This gives us an opportunity to give a new client instructions about what is required before an appointment, and also to answer any questions they may have early on.

Q. What forms of payment do you accept?

Cash, Check, Mastercard and Visa.

Q. Can I make partial payments?

We do not accept partial payments, full payment is required when your pet is ready to go home.

Q. What are the pre-surgery requirements at Millstone Animal Hospital?

Prior to your scheduled appointment you should have a copy of your pet's up-to-date vaccine records, a copy of a negative fecal (including coccidia and giardia.) Your pet should be clear of any parasites or infections for a full two weeks prior to surgery. You will need to inform us -- when you schedule the appointment -- of any previous or current health problems in your pet. This policy is strictly enforced to ensure that your pet and future pets that come into our office are not exposed to anything that may compromise their health or well-being.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Just something as an fyi....

Their puppies run $700-800 depending upon registration (AKC or CKC). Go figure on that one. Ear cropping is going to run you probably $400. Total of $1200.

For about $1500, one can purchase a pup from a reputable breeder that health tests, sire/dam titled in a particular venue, ears already cropped, lifetime breeder support (priceless).

I know it's too late to change anything now but just wanted to put this info out there.

no i got him from (lucky puppy kennel)

·
Registered
939 Posts
Reactions: ZeldaRules

·
Registered
827 Posts
North Carolina Doberman Puppies Doberman Pinscher Kennel Salisbury NC

SIX litters.... just this year, all under the same "stud".. nary a title or health test to be seen. Holy BYB, batman.

Whats even more disgusting is the "Buy Now" page.... Pick your puppy and place it in the cart. Good deal!
Sounds like a minature puppy mill to me...

Kane, Worship the ground your pup walks on, but you my dear are in for a really rough time. You truly need to stick around here and learn from the members, they won't always be gentle, but they will always be honest and give you good information.

·
Banned
3,463 Posts
Just something as an fyi....

Their puppies run $700-800 depending upon registration (AKC or CKC). Go figure on that one. Ear cropping is going to run you probably $400. Total of $1200.

For about $1500, one can purchase a pup from a reputable breeder that health tests, sire/dam titled in a particular venue, ears already cropped, lifetime breeder support (priceless).

I know it's too late to change anything now but just wanted to put this info out there.
:) sam&macksmom AKA LINKING QUEEN ;)

Perhaps it would be helpful to provide the OP with some links as to what a reputable breeder is and how to choose one (for future references).

Kane.cannon, I do not know whether you are aware or not, but unfortunately you purchased your puppy from what we call a "Backyard Breeder" or a "Greeder". What is done is done but hopefully before you ever purchase another dog again, the members here can guide you and educate you as to what a reputable breeder is and why it is so important to only purchase from a reputable breeder (or adopt from a reputable rescue or shelter).

Please stick around. There is TONS of great information here about the breed and members here to help you should you need it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts