Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Go Dog Go
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm from Ontario (part time Toronto - house, part time Belleville - house with 100 acres) & I've already gotten lots of good information from your forum.

We think we want a doberman for our family with our 19 year old being the primary 'dog person'.

Originally we were thinking of a puppy, but I did some reading & I don't think we are capable of puppy training at this point - so now we are looking at adoption/rescue. (Obedience training for our family isn't a problem, but puppies need more than that & my kids didn't grow up with dogs. Our family cat died a couple of years ago at 19, so we are aware pet ownership is a long-term commitment.)

Any hints on what to look in a family dog would be appreciated.
Kate

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Welcome from South of London, ON.
And best of luck, in finding the perfect adult dobe...for your family.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Welcome Smudge ! You might be able to answer your own question ~ What led you to think that a Doberman might be a dog for you vs any other breed ? Are you looking for something specific in your dog ?

·
Super Moderator
22,008 Posts
Welcome!

Thank you for looking at a rescue dog. There is a lot of variation in temperament and activity levels in rescue dogs, so I think if you find a good rescue and tell them what you are looking for in a dog and what your expectations are they will be able to find the right dog for your family.

Sometimes an older dog is much easier and can be a great introduction to the breed. The only downside is knowing you won't have them with you for as long. I adopted an eight year old Doberman a year ago and couldn't be happier with him.

·
Small Handful of Woman
1,783 Posts
Hi, and welcome from a close neighbour!
My best advice (having adopted only a few months ago) is this: hang around and make DT your second home for awhile!
All the most helpful info for making your decision is right here :)

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
Hi, Welcome, & thanks for considering resuce :)

·
joie de vivre
11,277 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

It sounds like a rescue would be a great option for your family. Puppies are a lot of work and it's good that you recognize an older dog would be a better fit for you.

As for hints on what to look for in a family dog...what's your family's lifestyle like? What do you hope to have in a dog? What are your expectations for exercise, training, activities in general, etc.?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I am not sure what the distance is for you and B.C. but I would contact New Page 1
I know they have a show male and are helping place a blk female in a show or companion home.

·
Earl's momma
78 Posts
DOBEDREAM: Your pups ears are gorgeous. I'm trying to find some good shots to show my vet what i want. where were they done/by whom? I'm new to this/don't really have a clue how to use this website! Hopefully I'll learn fast enough, since my puppy (Earl) will be coming home soon! Thanks!

·
Small Handful of Woman
1,783 Posts
DOBEDREAM: Your pups ears are gorgeous. I'm trying to find some good shots to show my vet what i want. where were they done/by whom? I'm new to this/don't really have a clue how to use this website! Hopefully I'll learn fast enough, since my puppy (Earl) will be coming home soon! Thanks!
Oh bless your heart :D I DO think Roxy has a wonderful crop, although, when I got her, only one ear was standing, so she is HALF perfect! :lol2:
I adopted her, so I have no idea who did the crop.
If you have trouble navigating DT, perhaps someone could chime in with a link for ear cropping in this area.
Or you could start a new thread with your question.
Good luck! I hope you come back and give us some pictures of EARL!!!

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Welcome to DT and good luck with your search!

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
Welcome to DT, glad you have found this forum to be so helpful, that's what we're here for :) best of luck in your Dobie search!

·
Go Dog Go
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the great welcome!

We think we want a doberman because we want a smart dog, and a protective dog - and one that isn't as big or as hairy as a Shepherd.

My daughter & I will be going to obedience training with the dog. (Mostly her, but I could definately use some formal instruction.) If obedience goes well, I'd like to encourage my daughter to consider agility or something similar - to keep her & the dog socialized & busy.

My biggest concern is exercise - and it will be either lots (can they get too much?) or not enough - depending on the day, location and our work load.

In Toronto I walk most mornings & have committed to every morning if the dog is in town. Either my dh or our youngest daughter will walk or play in the evenings. Oldest daughter & I are backup evening walkers. In Belleville, my dh is mostly outside all day & my 19 year old has committed to walking & frisbee or tennis ball throwing. (If she gets into agility, I'm sure she and my dh will develop a course.)

Our preference is to have the dog on our 100 acres (unfenced with visiting cats & I'm going to work on being patient until a cat tolerant or cat friendly dog shows up) and our city location has good green space for walks & play.

I've got a few questions - but I'm going to put them in a separate post so this one doesn't get too long.
Kate

·
Go Dog Go
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Questions:

I've seen some small dobermans - at least I think I have - would they be smaller bred females, or are they some sort of miniature pincher? (The write up on pinchers says 10 - 12 pounds & I would have put the few that I've seen at 30.)

Is there any difference between exercise requirements between the smaller females and the bigger rangier dogs? (Rangy is the only way I can think of to describe the big dobermans - because they aren't bulky, just large & lanky.)

Are they always referred to as dobermans on this forum, or can I be lazy and use dobes when I'm typing?
Kate

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Questions:

I've seen some small dobermans - at least I think I have - would they be smaller bred females, or are they some sort of miniature pincher? (The write up on pinchers says 10 - 12 pounds & I would have put the few that I've seen at 30.)

Is there any difference between exercise requirements between the smaller females and the bigger rangier dogs? (Rangy is the only way I can think of to describe the big dobermans - because they aren't bulky, just large & lanky.)

Are they always referred to as dobermans on this forum, or can I be lazy and use dobes when I'm typing?
Kate
The one's that you see at 30lbs could be german pinschers. Min Pins are of no relation to dobes. German pinschers are related to dobes many years ago ;-) Different temperaments though .
Good luck finding your special new friend ;-)

·
#1 Stunner
464 Posts
Welcome to DT! As others have said, you've come to the right place. Please stick around and don't be shy about asking any question that crosses your mind.

DAndy1987, I was just admiring Roxy's crop, too - gorgeous! :redface:

OP, obviously exercise requirement will vary somewhat from dog to dog, and a very drivey/working lines dog may find what you have to offer insufficient, I would think that what you can do sounds sufficient. Java is only five months old, but for him it seems to boil down to family involvement. Any animal needs plain old physical exercise, but for him - he goes places with us, he receives very regular interaction and training and affection, he gets a couple walks a day (nothing outlandishly long), space to get zoomies, stimulating toys, play with our other dog, and he is set. What I mean to say is that in my experience, a dog that is an actively involved family member who isn't treated as a living room decoration or a lawn ornament and has a normal amount of exercise is often content, whereas a dog that has "room to run" but isn't a part of the family's normal daily routines will often be unfulfilled. It sounds like you can offer both. Obviously, again, that is not the case for every dog in the world...at all. But many. With rescue you have the benefit of having an idea of a dog's energy requirements in advance. You have to account for the "honeymoon period" - the first month or so where a rescue is on their very best behavior before they get comfortable enough to let their true colors out, but generally you should know if your dog will be very drivey and energetic or more low-key.

I think feverone called it right - 30lb dogs sound like German Pinschers. Their standard seems to be about 25-35lbs., and some can look quite a bit like Dobermans. I suppose you may find a female Doberman in the 35lb. range, but I'd think that that would be highly unusual.

I wouldn't assume that there would be a difference in exercise requirements based on size, but I'm sure someone more experienced can chime in there.

No one will mind if you call them dobes. :)

Welcome again!

·
joie de vivre
11,277 Posts
Questions:

Kate
Exercise requirements vary from dog to dog and I don't find it has anything to do with size, really. Dobes in general are pretty energetic, athletic dogs and will require a good amount of exercise most days.

But I don't think you'll be driving yourself crazy exercising a Dobe unless you're naturally inactive. There are some dogs that are more demanding than others but, for instance, I would say my girl Tali is a pretty typical Dobe in the energy department and she's perfectly fine with about an hour walk, a little training, and some free running and play each day. And if we take a day off from doing much, she's fine with that too and will not drive me crazy. But I can also push her with more training and she'll respond and keep up.

I think a good rescue will work with you to find a Dobe that's a good fit for your family's lifestyle.

The one's that you see at 30lbs could be german pinschers. Min Pins are of no relation to dobes. German pinschers are related to dobes many years ago ;-) Different temperaments though .
Good luck finding your special new friend ;-)
I agree. The smallest female Doberman I've ever known was one my grandmother had when I was a child; she was between 50-55 lbs. My smaller girl is 24" and 59-lbs (hurrah - finally got her under 60!) and she could still stand to lose another pound or two to look great.

I think if you've seen a 30-lbs dog who looks similar to a Doberman, she was probably a German Pinscher. And Miniature Pinschers (as pointed out) are of no relation to Dobermans and are definitely in the 10-12 lbs range.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts