Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
BuddhaBoy
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!
I LOVE Dobermans, always have, always will. When I lived with my parents however, they didn't allow any big dogs. When I moved out, I was too busy working to even think about getting a big breed dog that I couldn't devote most of my time to. Instead, I would babysit my friend's Dobermans whenever possible. I've researched the breed and thought myself pretty educated until I came to DT!! Wow, you guys are pros; which is why I'm coming to you for help.

I'm in my thirties now and find myself with lots of free time since I don't work. I just workout a lot, running about 6 miles a day and dabbling in hobbies. My husband decided to surprise me by purchasing me a Doberman puppy from what he heard was great website (first red light!!). Once he told me I freaked out (not in a good way) and did a ton of research. He purchased the dog from Purebred Breeders - America's Top Dog Breeders on PurebredBreeders.com and they don't let you know anything about the breeder. So I dug in deeper, and after 2 days of internet searching, I found out that the breeder is Sunnyside Dobermans in North Carolina. At first I was relieved that it wasn't a puppy mill and that they do genetic testing - but after reading a lot of posts on this site, I'm realizing that it's not enough at all and that there should be a lot more testing and pedigree involved.

My husband has already paid up front for all of this. And he paid an exorbitant amount of money for this guy, over $3500!!! If we decide to cancel the order, there is a cancellation fee of $495!

So we're stuck. And to add to it all, he is coming home a week (or more) later than scheduled because the vet discovered roundworm on his health exam just today. He is scheduled to take Panacure for the next several days and then have another fecal checkup.

I am just worried. Terribly. I don't think that Sunnyside is bad, it seemed okay on their site. I just wish I had been the one to check out the breeders in my area, visit the parents, play with the litter, and found the right one with mid-range energy levels and confirmed genetic history - especially if we were going to pay this much for just a family pet.

Thoughts? Advice?

TIA!!

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
When I get a puppy, I want:
- superb parent temperament
- old age longevity, as much as possible...in line
- puppy smarts
- genetic health / testing of parents

While I am from Canada, and know nothing about this breeder.
The red flags are enough for me to loose hubby $495 deposit / maybe good lesson learned.
- get the wrong pup, and vet bills over the dogs entire life (shortened ?) could be huge (plus several $1000's) compared to a researched puppy decision now

And welcome rockorabbit ...logical 1st post.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,257 Posts
I would think you could find yourself a well-bred puppy from good bloodlines with titled parents who are completely tested for $2000 fairly easily.

You say you are due to pay $3500, and that there is a cancellation fee of close to $500 dollars for the current puppy you are considering.

$2000 vs $3500 dollars. The price for the well-bred puppy of $2000 plus the cancellation fee of $500 comes to $2500------well below the $3500 you have agreed to pay for the questionable pup.

In fact, you would save about $1000 even after you have paid the cancellation fee. Seems worth it to me.

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
Is there a signed contract? If they're claiming "fully health tested" and the sire and dam haven't had full tests ie; echo, holters, thyroid, liver, OFA, vWd. CERF....you might be able to get that deposit back under false advertising legislation/consumer law if your state has it.
It's definitely worth a try. otherwise, better to make a $500 mistake than $5000 mistake ;)

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I would back out and take the hit, take it as a lesson learned and save you the heartache later. There is always a possibility of having to put a beloved pet down due to not properly health checking parents. I am going to be upfront and be honest and say that I paid 2000 for mine and he was health tested and the ears were done, no worms, all vaccines etc. $3,500 is more ideal for a dog that has points in some sort of show ring, agility, shultz ect. Time has already been spent on training and such. At least with my research that is what I have come across.

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
A pet puppy from a well bred show litter costs in the range of $2000 - so even taking a loss of $500 on this puppy you will still pay less and get more. No brainer!!

Be prepared to do your homework and get on a waiting list - you can't order a well bred puppy on the internet :)

·
sweep the leg
1,016 Posts
I would think you could find yourself a well-bred puppy from good bloodlines with titled parents who are completely tested for $2000 fairly easily.

You say you are due to pay $3500, and that there is a cancellation fee of close to $500 dollars for the current puppy you are considering.

$2000 vs $3500 dollars. The price for the well-bred puppy of $2000 plus the cancellation fee of $500 comes to $2500------well below the $3500 you have agreed to pay for the questionable pup.

In fact, you would save about $1000 even after you have paid the cancellation fee. Seems worth it to me.

Not to mention what you would spend in additional vet bills once you got the little guy home. If he already has health issues popping up, no telling what's to come since you know little to nothing of his pedigree.

As Melbrod said, $2000 (on avg for well bred pup) + $495 cancellation fee = $2,495. Compared to $3,500 for a poorly bred dog with who knows what in vet bills coming. Seems like an obvious choice. Plus, if you go about it the right way, you will have the support of a reputable breeder for the lifetime of your pup! I talk to my girl's breeder every week, she's become a friend. Who are you going to call if you have questions?

I know it's disappointing now, but once you have your well bred puppy from a trustworthy breeder who you can call anytime, you will be so thrilled that you waited. You will never regret it. Whereas doing it thru "Purebred Breeders..." you will always second guess your decision and regret funding BYBs. Not worth the guilt IMHO!

Good luck!! :)

·
joie de vivre
11,272 Posts
I agree with all the above but I think this...

Not to mention what you would spend in additional vet bills once you got the little guy home. If he already has health issues popping up, no telling what's to come since you know little to nothing of his pedigree.
...needs to be repeated. You could end up spending well more than $3500 on this pup if you decide to follow through. The puppy is already sick and you don't have much information on genetic health or longevity in the pedigree.

Your husband's heart is in the right place and it was a sweet gesture, but I'd walk away and consider it a $500 lesson learned. A well bred pup from health tested, titled parents is typically between $1500 - $2000. People like Sunnyside Doberman should not be rewarded for the kind of breeding they do. And that's what buying this puppy would be - a reward to a breeder who has no business producing puppies.

Good luck in your decision.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
thanks everyone - I am calling them today to cancel.
Good decision! I took a look at Sunnyside's website, and while they do seem to dabble in AKC events, most titles are IABCA and/or UKC. Some dogs have some health testing. Pedigrees are pretty unimpressive, conformation of most of their dogs is less than desirable, and they are selling their puppies through a Broker. Thus, they don't care where the puppies go, it is all about money.

Come back here, let us know where you are located and I am certain we can point you toward a breeder that will have just what you are looking for and save you some $$$ at the same time.

...and Welcome to DT!

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts
You are making the right decision to walk away. Others have mentioned health, but temperament is equally important.

DT members would be happy to help you find an outstanding breeder. What's your general location?

·
BuddhaBoy
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wow thanks everyone - what a supportive group!

I'm from Seattle, Washington and am willing to drive a few hours to pick up a pup. I don't want it shipped and I don't want to have it be stuck in a car with me for a long time, either.

I've looked around DT and found some reputable breeders. I've sent some applications and essay-like letters to the breeders and I have my fingers crossed.

I have not heard back from my call and emails to the broker website yet, but I'm not surprised.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I think StarlaineK9 is maybe in the WA area. Very nice pups if she has a litter now. She's a member on DT. You might pm her.

I briefly looked at the link and couldn't believe the prices for the puppies. Every puppy whether s/he's from a byb, shelter, rescue or reputable breeder deserves a good home. Plus Dobermans, whether from a reputable breeder or otherwise are prone to health problems. The thing about a reputable breeder is great support during the lifetime of that dog and hopefully that the breeder has attempted to their best ability to breed healthier, better built dogs.

You'll possibly be digging deep in your pockets any way so give yourself the very best chance at a good one.

·
BuddhaBoy
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just sent her an application! Thanks! I may also pm her as well.

Even though this dog will be essentially a family companion, I do plan on doing Agility and training as a Diabetic Service dog. I want the Doberman to have the longest, healthiest lifespan possible and appreciate everyone's help and welcome.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts