Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm new to the forum. I had 3 dobermans throughout my childhood that were all three, great dogs. I have my own family now and wanted a doberman of our own as a family pet and for protection and guarding the house. Growing up, our doberman attacked two guys that broke into our house and tried to steal my dad's truck while we weren't home and since, I've had much respect for the breed's intelligence and protectiveness. (Also a GSD lover, but can't do the hair). I found a nearby breeder (probably a BYB) that had several dobermans on site, including the mom, dad, and several others, including a white doberman. The dad is a 3 year old black and tan with a great temperament and very good looking build. I wasn't looking for a show dog, just good size (for intimidation), fun, and protection for my family. The mom is a blue, can't remember what the age was but I think 5-6yrs, average size for a female, also with a good temperament. I have a copy of the AKC pedigree for the dad and they are going to send me a copy for the mom. I'll be getting mine soon. Overall, the couple were very nice and the dogs all seemed to be happy and well kept.

Anyway, to the point... according to the breeder he turned 6 weeks yesterday (1/26) when we picked him up. He had his first vaccinations and second de-wormer on Wed (1/25). Overall the pup has a great personality and is very playful but as soon as we got home and I put some food down (softened up, feeding a mixture of Diamond Naturals Large Breed Pup/Iams-from the breeder) and he was devouring it like he hadn't eaten in a while. Then I got on here and searched pictures of other 6 week old pups and ours is a bit on the small side from what I'm seeing, definitely not as filled out and heavy. His poop is also normal and clear of any visible worms. He was also one of the 2 largest pups in the litter. So does it sound like he wasn't getting enough food at the breeder most likely? And how should I go about helping him put on some healthy weight so that, if that's the case, I can bring him out of it. How much food should a 6 week old pup be eating daily if he is a little underweight in order to catch up to where he should be? As far as activity, he should have plenty of that for building muscle, my 5 year old little girl has him running and playing all over the house already and soon I'll get him outside to the fenced yard where he'll have more room to run.

Here are some pics of him...

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
If my memory serves me right I believe it's supposed to be between 2-3 cups a day. But it also depends on the age and weight.

There "should" be a general feeding guideline on the bag of food, no?

I feed Lexi 3 times a day, breakfast lunch and dinner. And she ALWAYS eats as if she's never eaten before. But she looks to be a healthy weight. No ribs showing.

I wish Lexi was still that small, cute pics!! They grow so fast.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Hi! Welcome to the forum. Your pup is cute, and does look little.

Just wondering, did you buy this dog?

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
Are you comparing the size of your pup to other posts where pups are the same age? The reason I'm asking is that most of us get our pups at about 12 weeks of age and so they would be quite a bit larger.

It's been many years (15 years maybe?) since I've had a pup that young, but he looks to be ok in size from what little I can tell in the photos. Do you know how much he weighs?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, yeah as far as bones showing, he's ok there, just seems small to me compared to other 6 weeks pics on here. I'm gonna start softening his food with some goats milk to see if that helps with his growth spurt. And my last dog was named Lexi, a sable german shepherd.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yeah I bought the pup, not for what some people are charging for Doberman pups, but I wasn't expecting a show dog with champion bloodlines either and I can't afford what most of the more reputable Illinois breeders are asking for those pups, plus vaccines, ear crop, etc.

Finally got him to sit still for another pic laying next to my girlfriend... will get a weight over my lunch break.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Yeah I bought the pup, not for what some people are charging for Doberman pups, but I wasn't expecting a show dog with champion bloodlines either and I can't afford what most of the more reputable Illinois breeders are asking for those pups, plus vaccines, ear crop, etc.

Finally got him to sit still for another pic laying next to my girlfriend... will get a weight over my lunch break.
Cool.
I got my Nubis, at a fire sale. (long story). And he was less than half price because of the reasoning. It fell in my lap cuz i wanted to get my pup and have him cropped myself and find the best cropper in Ontario, which i did. I also wanted him sooner too, so i could bond more with him, work on basics, etc.
Now ppl will rant and rave about paying the big bux and let the breeder do it all. I did that with my second dobe because of misfortunes with my first dobe. Now i got her at 12 weeks and the bond just wasn't the same. Now it could have been her personality, but so far, the results i am getting from Nubis are exactly where i want him and prolly more than i expected, so for me i made the right decision.
Others can think differently and that's their opinion.
Have fun with your pup. Start on bite inhibition and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Welcome to DT. Cute puppy.

Do not be disappointed if your pup just doesn't get as *bulky* as some of the pups you see here on DT. The majority of the BYB puppies I have seen (and we have a bunch in my area) are lean, lanky with no bone, no depth of chest. Sometimes very tall but lightweight. My boy is fairly average for a North American, show line bred Dobe at 28" and 90#. Here is a photo of him at 6 weeks.

Also, the price from a reputable breeder would have included ear crop, vaccinations, worming -- literally everything needed and age appropriate. In the long run, I would bet you really didn't save any money.

Enjoy your new baby.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Yep, he looks typical for a byb pup. There is going to be a big difference in byb pups and show breeders pups because of the better knowledge and care that is given.

As a matter of a fact, when I took Parker into my vets they said he didn't look anything like the other doberman puppies that came in...so much was the difference one of the techs said, "he looks kind of like a doberman." They said the others were smaller, much smaller boned, skinnier, and didn't have the forechest my pup had. Those techs had a very hard time getting over the difference in quality. Parker was the first quality doberman puppy they had seen here.

Sometimes, you end up spending much more in vet bills on byb puppies than it would have cost to get a well bred, well cared for, conformationally correct pup.

This is Parker, but at a little over 8 wks and after his ear crop, but before I brought him home.

By the way, you don't want your puppy to grow fast as fast growth causes pano, a painful bone disease with no lasting problems. Just very painful for your puppy.

·
Why is the rum gone?
2,263 Posts
He's adorable. I don't have many recommendations, except to keep a close eye on his vet visits and make sure he gets them. I'd agree with you, OP, that your breeder is a BYB. No reputable breeder would ever breed for albino, or give up pups that young. You'll want to make sure your puppy has his regular vet visits and shots. If your pup's ancestors have the albino gene, it will show up with a WZ in his pedigree.

Feeding a good quality puppy food is a good idea, and so is enrolling in a puppy class as soon as he's old enough. Socialization is key with these guys. Your 5 year old can also maybe go, and work with him in class too, in order to build respect with the dog. We had a kid in our last obedience class, he was there to learn how to train and work with the family dog, who was this insanely exuberant Labrador. Kids and dogs go well together when they respect each other. Also, post more pics as he grows please!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
When you get a dobe pup from a breeder that doesnt breed to standard, your pup could be/end up any size.

Dont over feed, that will not get him to the size you want, only make him fat.
Start with what is recommend on the bag. You should be able to feel the ribs/see some tuck up in the waist. But not feel hips/spine. If too skinny, feed more, if getting chunky, feed less.

That pups coat looks very thin, hope he doesnt have skin issues.

And work on lots of bite inhibition/socialization. There is a reason pups under 8 weeks aren't supposed to leave the mom...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I didn't know it was illegal in Illinois to sell a pup before 8 weeks? I assumed it was probably better to pick them up at 8 weeks. But then again, I have a hard enough time getting the county animal control to keep my neighbor from letting her pit mix out the front door off leash in my nice neighborhood, so I doubt this type of behavior is near the top of their priority list. He'll be well taken care of now, so I guess we'll see how he turns out long run. Also, if there are so many BYB, why doesn't the AKC make it more difficult to get AKC registrations without proper feeding, environment, and health tests, etc? I hear lots of praise for AKC registration but I see it advertised on nearly every pup listing out there that is not a mix.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm going to get him into puppy classes as soon as he is able. The only ones I know of locally are at Petsmart and after taking my GSD through their class, I wasn't impressed. She still didn't trust other dogs well. But she was a little older when she went so maybe getting this pup in younger will help. At what age should his second vaccinations be administered? Breeder said 10 weeks and they also said the ear crop has worked best for them at 10-12 weeks. I found his birth date is 12/14 so he was actually 6 weeks on 12/25. I weighed him over lunch and he's about right at 7lbs.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I didn't know it was illegal in Illinois to sell a pup before 8 weeks? I assumed it was probably better to pick them up at 8 weeks. But then again, I have a hard enough time getting the county animal control to keep my neighbor from letting her pit mix out the front door off leash in my nice neighborhood, so I doubt this type of behavior is near the top of their priority list. He'll be well taken care of now, so I guess we'll see how he turns out long run. Also, if there are so many BYB, why doesn't the AKC make it more difficult to get AKC registrations without proper feeding, environment, and health tests, etc?I hear lots of praise for AKC registration but I see it advertised on nearly every pup listing out there that is not a mix.
AKC is a registry and that is technically all they do, tho they have come down on some puppy mills, but that was for mixed up records of who bred who. It is not their concern how the pups are raised, only if they are purebred or not. They mainly register and keep registry records and pedigrees.

Besides, they would lose money if they started refusing registrations because of care, plus open themselves up for all kinds of lawsuits.

I'm going to get him into puppy classes as soon as he is able. The only ones I know of locally are at Petsmart and after taking my GSD through their class, I wasn't impressed. She still didn't trust other dogs well. But she was a little older when she went so maybe getting this pup in younger will help. At what age should his second vaccinations be administered? Breeder said 10 weeks and they also said the ear crop has worked best for them at 10-12 weeks. I found his birth date is 12/14 so he was actually 6 weeks on 12/25. I weighed him over lunch and he's about right at 7lbs.
You really should take your puppy right into a vet, don't let him on the floor, for a health checkup, worm check and to set up a schedule of vaccinations.

Ask your vet about when you can take him to training classes. Most don't recommend getting a pup out into unsafe places where sick dogs could have been till pups are older and more vaccinated than one or two shots. Some illnesses are carried thro the air, distemper, and others are on the ground, parvo. Both can be carried to the pup on the soles of shoes or by a person with an infected puppy.

·
Registered
206 Posts
My two cents...
Petsmart is worthless for a first time Dobe owner. I went thru it and then had to search for a real trainer. Google or check with Dobe rescue for recommendations. I almost waited to long to crop Ripley's ears because I did not understand what the 'breeder' was saying. Call vets NOW and set up consultations. It might take you awhile to find a vet that crops.
Ripley's weight was 9.5 at 6 weeks

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Forgot cropping. Well, of course, your breeder is wrong about cropping. Puppies should be cropped between 7 and 9 weeks of age, usually. Most byb recommend later crops because they use vets that don't know much about cropping and vets that don't know much about cropping always say around 3 months. That also seems to be a holdover from a much longer time ago.

Where are you located and we can recommend you a good vet that knows how to crop? Most vets don't know how and tend to put either pit bull crops or crops with extremely huge bells, both look horrible.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Welcome to the forums. It sounds like you have the best intentions for this puppy and he has found himself in a wonderful home! He does look a little small but but's what happens sometimes. I agree with growing him slowly as opposed to quickly and definitely get the puppy cropped, if you're planning on it, earlier rather than later. LindaH is right, if you let us know where you're located then we an point you towards a fantastic cropping vet.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts