Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi new to this chat forum and to the world of Dobermans. My guy is about 15 months old and I’m thinking I’ve been in the ‘doberteens’ phase for a while (since he was about 9-months). It’s beginning to wear on me but I’m keeping a routine with him and staying on top of training. I just met with a new trainer to help with leash work because he always wants to lead and pull towards everything. Hope this phase will pass sooner rather than later!!!! Also does any one have insight into the Inukshuk 32/32 dog kibble I have him on Purina at the moment. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
Hi new to this chat forum and to the world of Dobermans. My guy is about 15 months old and I’m thinking I’ve been in the ‘doberteens’ phase for a while (since he was about 9-months). It’s beginning to wear on me but I’m keeping a routine with him and staying on top of training. I just met with a new trainer to help with leash work because he always wants to lead and pull towards everything. Hope this phase will pass sooner rather than later!!!! Also does any one have insight into the Inukshuk 32/32 dog kibble I have him on Purina at the moment. Thank you!
View attachment 139108
I have no clue about Inukshuk 30/20--never even heard of it. Purina makes a big line of dog kibble--all the way from the Dog Chow to the Pro Plan line. I've fed ProPlan for years. Through many name changes and a few minor ingredient changes. But the one that started out as ProPlan Salmon and Rice through Pro Plan Focus Sensitive Skin and Stomach to it's present name Pro Plan Specialized Sensitive Skin and Stomach. Or the same thing only in the Chicken formula or the Sport 30/20. That part of the ProPlan line has been my go to for a lot of years now.

I like the fact that Purina uses vet nutritionists, to design their foods and maintains kennel colonies of dogs to test the food to make sure it does what it was designed to do. Frankly I've seen too many of the the newer foods which seem to be mostly designed by computer or loaded with the latest food fads for humans as sales points which don't really work well for dogs to even try them out any more.

dobebug

·
Big Lil pup
6,735 Posts
Hi PD... Welcome to you and your boy from the Pacific NW.

Dog food is a bit of a controversial subject among dog owners. My opinion is to feed a quality product that I can afford and that my dogs like and thrive on. That's it....

I am not familiar with Inukshuk, but like dobebug, my current 6 1/2 year old is also fed PPP as his kibble. For quite a while I had him on Acana Meadowland, which at the time was a very expensive top tier, 5 star dry food. When all the DCM hoopla vis a vis "grain free" kibbles started popping up, I switched him over to PPP in order feed him a grain inclusive product. It also allowed me to start purchasing from Chewy, which is, IMO, a terrific way to obtain dog food.

He has now been on PPP for about 1/2 his life and does beautifully on it as his main source of calories and nutrition. I pay about $47 for a 33 lb. bag The comparable Inukshuk product from Chewy was about $10 more expensive. And frankly, it seems like much more of an unknown commodity. There are a lot of folks who successfully feed their Dobermans PurinaProPlan, but I don't know anyone who feeds Inukshuk.

Best to you and your handsome dog (name?)

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Going through Doberteens myself, I feel your pain. Some days are amazing and some days are just ”beyond”.
What is your boy’s name? Where is he from (breeder)? How long have you had him? What does he like to do? All the fun questions! Plus, you can never post too many photos!

He is a looker, for sure!

·
Super Moderator
22,322 Posts
Welcome!

Just keep training and remember he's still very young. There was a most excellent post on Facebook today about dogs of this age - worth a read!

<iframe src="Facebook" width="500" height="754" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true" allow="autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; picture-in-picture; web-share"></iframe>

I, too, feed Proplan, for the reasons Dobebug mentioned above. My dogs do great on it. One is on the Sport 30/20 chicken formula, and my senior is on Bright Mind.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Don't give up keep working on your pup. On average the teenager /rebel phase ends around 2. Depending on maturity of the pup.

As for food , just feed the best quality you can afford :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts