Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just recently lost my gsd named lily and I was sad. So what did I do, I went and found me a good breeder and got my to pups. They seem different then when my lily was a pup. I love it. The male is name Ares and the female named Athena.
Now I have heard that getting 2 pups makes them more attached to each other then to their owner. Is this true?
Also makes training a bit more challenging. I love it tho.
20210402_125104.jpg

Athena
16185922841903071236859817032179.jpg

Ares
Ares is 12 weeks old and 3 days and Athena is 11 weeks 5 days old. Also any help or recommendations for obedience training near the Seattle area in Washington will be very much appreciated.
Thank you

Attachments

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
They are precious but I predict you will be tearing your hair out in about 5 months. Please research littermate syndrome here and on reputable dog websites. You are in for an uphill battle and I wish you the best.

You will feel like you get them to a great place in training and then, adolescence will hit and you will have 2 adorable, large tornadoes on your hands. Here is a link that explains it nicely. I am NOT advocating that you sign up for the program, just sharing a simple good explanation of it: Littermate Syndrome

Here is another link: Don’t Take Two Puppies: Littermate Syndrome in Dogs

Those wiser than I am will weigh in soon. Good luck and keep posting photos of the cuties!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds like a rough time coming. Thank you for the heads up. And I sure will look into what you sent me. Also another question I have.
Why do the pups keep switching bowls when they eat?
16185937155814085229258142876921.jpg

Is this bad or a normal thing?

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
It could be that they are simply exploring what the other dog has or it could be that one dog is exhibiting resource dominance (unlikely at that age, but I am not an expert) if he or she is eating quickly and then, pushing the other dog away from their dish. I think you will serve yourself and the pups to feed them in 2 separate locations where they can’t get to the others dish while they are eating. Place a dish down for one, close a gate, place a dish down for the other and then, don’t let them out until both have eaten.

Also, look into slow feeder dishes and check out Ditch the Dish: Ditch the Dish! Will Work for Food: will work for food (A New Dog Paradigm Book 2) - Kindle edition by Micciulla, Gina. Crafts, Hobbies & Home Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com. to help engage their brains which will help tire them out.

·
Dobes Dobles +1
Lanah Chi-Cairn X 6 y/o, RIP Eva HADR Rescue Dobe, Sunking's Spock, Lillah Chi-Terrier X
4,602 Posts
Fernando Q- Welcome to the world of Dobermans and DT from San Antonio. Looks like you jumped in with both feet!

Buckle you seatbelt, as the "Littermate Syndrome" is a huge hot button issue on this forum! You will be informed that a "good breeder" will not knowingly place two littermates in the same household because due to behavioral problems down the line that will occur. At least your breeder didn't place two male puppies with you, to even further complicate issue more! (Same sex aggression - SSA) Please read the links MM provided. We had two Dobes that were same age, but from vastly different litters and one was a rescue. The lived together their entire lives with no issues, just the female was boss, which is the default. Most veteran Dobe owners will recommend multiple Dobe packs be of opposite sex and two years apart in age, as the ideal.

As a novice Doberman owner, you will be strongly "encouraged" NOT to breed your Dobemans, as well. Be prepared for lots of advice on that issue! 😬

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What if the pups come from two different moms but the same father? Should I still not bread them?

·
Registered
444 Posts
They're still related, they're half siblings. I wouldn't breed them and I don't know if anyone would considering that seeing as they share a parent.

Reactions: melbrod

·
Registered
34 Posts
Please read up on all the pinned posts in the spaces here in the forum, there are GREAT resources. Please do not breed your dogs unless you have a mentor that's 120% committed to the breed, unless you plan on showing and titling your dogs, unless you plan on health testing your dogs to make sure both the dogs AND puppies are better. Each breeding you do should be to better the breed, not to acquire a handful of cute puppies that will fetch a pretty penny.

Kudos to you for finding yourself on this forum. I suggest you read up on A LOT of the posts here as you will learn so much, and it looks like you'll need it since you got the dogs before doing your research. ;)

·
Premium Member
8,218 Posts
Yes you will find lots of advise if you ask for it!
Most of us love to give advise and this is a really active forum.
Some of us like to brag about ourselves on a daily basis and others just like to tell BS stories.
Just know everything I write is always true.....BUT if its Spock Or ECIN ...they are just big story teller.......eye roll!!!!
Ba ha ha ........just playing!!!!
Virtual friends are the best .
When you get sick of us all you have to do is log off...poof.....all gone!!!!:cool:
Sending sunshiny thoughts from Florida even though it is cloudy today.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes the help and advise here does flow i noticed that from other post that I've been reading. I like that and I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions in the future.
So glad I joined up here....

·
Premium Member
8,218 Posts
We do have a lot of fun.
‘Moderators keep us in line when necessary.
They are pretty polite about things when issuing their warnings.
The good news for you is the amount of knowledge you will get from members with years of experience with dogs,cats,cows, lizards,ferrets.All kinds of critters.
Welcome to our world.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts