Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

New to site, not Dobes

932 views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  RottenVonSpotten 
#1 ·
Hello!
Anxiously awaiting May 1 to get here. My new puppy Gunny will come home.
My dad bred Dobermanns when I was younger. I have not owned one since then. Had a pair of Boxers for 10 years that I loved but wanted less slobber and more protection!
At any rate, just wanted to say hi. Have been reading a lot of articles here and looks to be a pretty well maintained site.

#2 ·
May is just around the corner...but your right, the wait is still a killer.

Welcome from Canada, and we all LOVE baby pics. and stories here.
- and yes, great DT site because its got great membership...they are very active here, and giving of their time and help

#5 ·
Welcome from Missouri!

The wait is torture! I barely slept the night before I brought home each of my girls - too excited for sleep. :)

Don't worry though, after 2 or 3 years, you'll be able to catch back up on sleep. ;)

#6 ·
I have a three year old human daughter and a 3 month old human son. I'm used to no sleep! :roflmao:
Also have a very little 1 year old Boston Terrier.

I will hop on a pc in a few and upload a pic of the dad, Leo and mom, Zena.
Dad is 115lbs, with lineage to Bingo's Germania.
Mom is 100lbs.
Both are beautiful!

#10 · (Edited)
Oh...are their dogs okay? 100-lbs for a female is obese and a standard size male Dobe is typically between 80 & 90 lbs. Have they had their thyroids checked? Thyroid issues are fairly common in Dobermans and it can cause a dog to gain a lot of weight and have trouble losing it.

That's really too much weight for a Doberman frame. I'd also worry about the added stress on their hearts considering the high risk of DCM in Dobermans. Do you know if the breeder does annual cardio testing?

Dobermans should be fit, active, and agile! :)

#17 ·
Well let's see...
20+ years of Dobermann breeding
Opinion of my dad the breeder
Seeing the sire, the dam, the welping environment.
Many many 1st hand testimonials from others that have either purchased puppies welded by Leo and Zena.
Seeing other breeders that have used Leo as the sure to their dams.

I am not I beginner when it comes to Dobermanns. I know what I am looking for and what I want.
I didn't come here looking to debate anybody on quality.

#16 ·
I am with brw1982 on this one. That's 2 overweight dogs. Honestly the way you have worded that you only want to buy that puppy because the parents are packing beef!! To much beef in my opinion. My boy weighs the equivalent of 80.5lbs and isn't unmuscular!

#18 ·
I don't care about conformation. I want a healthy, strong Doberman.
Again if you look at the pics, you will plainly see these guys are NOT over weight. They are larger than the breed standard, but they are both solid muscle.
I don't plan to show, nor breed mine. He will be neutered as soon as he is ready.

#24 ·
Health comes from good conformation. Good conformation is not seen in oversized Dobermans period. I'd run from this breeder related or not.

Also please have the owners take weight off those dogs. Please for their own safety and health.

#25 ·
How tall are the sire and dam? 115 lbs and 100 lbs are WAY too big for Dobermans.

I looked at the pictures as well, and I agree that the dogs look overweight and certainly not "pure muscle". My dog weighs 115 lbs and is 31" tall at her withers and is in great shape. I can't imagine a Doberman her size.

Just an FYI bigger isn't better. Have you ever wondered why some of the larger breeds are referred to as "heartbreak breeds"? Their life expectancies are much shorter than most breeds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.