Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Guardian
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there!
I am new to this forum and above all else Doberman ownership. I am soon going to be the proud parent of (hopefully) a red male. I am due to meet him sometime soon. At any rate, I will be having his ears cropped (IMO I love their regal appearance, and understand a majority of what it entails). Reputable vet has already been found.
I have numerous experiences with these gentile beauties, all of which have been the traditional black/rust, and a majority female. So I am very excited to have the first red in my "circle". I was wondering if anyone has any input as far as foods (I picked up Orijen as this is what the breeder has been using), Nupro and Omega 3 liquid for the skin/coat. Is Nupro necessary right off the bat?
I have heard that reds are sensitive to light (?) and they can have skin issues- although I feel that blues and fawns are even more prone -- please let me know if I am wrong.
Also, potty training tips as these guys are smart! And the best starter toys to help get the brain going (I want to try to have a complete "doofus" as a son ;) ).
Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Don't hold back if you think it is important.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Hi, welcome to DT.

I love the red boys, and I understand contemplating a new pup is very exciting.

That said, your first post mentions a HUGE red flag, as far as your choice in breeder--the fact that they are not handling the cropping themselves is almost always an indication that they are not doing many other things right, in their breeding program.

Since you've clearly fallen for the looks and personality traits of this great breed, be sure to stick around and read up on all the health issues that plague them.

DCM (Dilated Cardiomyopathy) will take 50% of all Dobermans. It is always fatal, and is a miserable, heart-breaking disease, literally.

If your chosen breeder isn't cropping this litter, and taking care of all the aftercare, it's VERY unlikely they have been doing annual (or every six months, even) holter monitors and echocardiograms on the animals they are breeding. Not to mention OFAing the hips, doing liver and thyroid panels, etc.

Since this is passed genetically, you're literally rolling the dice, with odds against you, right from the start, on your new companion.

A step back, a deep breath, and a lot more research and some mentoring from folks in your area...all that will give you a much better chance of finding a better breeding program--and then many happy years with a healthier pet.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Reds aren't sensitive to light (albinos are photosensitive) but will bleach if left outside. They will also be MISERABLE, as would any dobe. Dilutes, blues and fawns, have the real coat issues.

Potty training- get a crate. Use it. Potty training is really pretty simple if you stick to a schedule. Eat, play, potty, nap (crate), repeat. Puppies aren't that different from human babies. If you can't watch them make sure they are somewhere safe, otherwise lord knows what can happen. You wouldn't leave a human infant outside of a crib unsupervised. Same with baby puppy and his crate.

Good luck! Love pictures, so post some!

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Hi and welcome from Kansas City. If you speak to the Orijen people, they will tell you there is no need to supplement their food. My breeder also recommends Nupro Gold as a supplement and also steamed bone meal. I raised mine on Large Breed Evo and Orijen with the Nupro supplements. I have a red female and had a red male. Neither have had any problems with their coats.

This is a great forum. Stick around and again, welcome.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I don't think Nupro is necessary at all! If you want to use it, fine...but if you're feeding a quality diet, you really shouldn't need to supplement.

I've owned quite a few red dobermans over the years-none of them has had skin problems they all have had healthy skin and thick lustrous coats. Some of them had their coat bleach out from sunlight, but this is easily remedied by removing the dead hairs by grooming. Many of them never sun bleached at all. I don't think you can really call this "sensitive to light', tho.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Great advice has been given here and I sure hope you read all of the posts and suggestions :]

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
Hello and welcome!

Toys!: I stocked up on kong, everlasting treat ball, bullysticks, antlers, nylabones, and lots of (safe) stuffies :)

Potty training: I have a 4 month old puppy and the most wonderful investment has been her crate and xpen! I highly recommend the combo

On a side note: I would definitely reconsider your breeder and make sure you are searching for REPUTABLE breeders who do all proper health testing as well as compete in some type of venue with proven dogs. (this is important even for those of us looking for "pet only" companions. Many backyard breeders are mainly out for money and do not care about the betterment of the breed as a whole. If someone is health testing, competing and titling their dogs, it shows they are doing well at trying to produce sound dogs which betters the overall breed and these are the type of people we support)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Welcome to DT. I too am a first time dobe owner and have now had Tank for 4 months (he's 6 months now) The one thing I have learned is you can never have enough chew toys LOL!!!!!! Tanks favorite toy is a stuffed leapord that you put a empty water bottle in so it crunches when they chew on it. I bought him a Kong Which pretty much everyone recommended but no matter what i do he wont touch it. Definitely crate train to sleep in. My wife is in the military and was on deployment when i brought Tank home and I made THE HUGE MISTAKE of letting him sleep on my bed and now he thinks the whole king size bed is just for him LOL :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts