Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive never takin any of my dogs to shows before but would like to try but i would like to know as much information as you guys can give me such as the type of shows whats expectations are needed in each individual shows and certain training that would be ideal for each type of show..thankz

mike alex and soto

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
What are you interested in, obedience, conformation, agility...? I live close to you and could better inform you once I know what you are looking for. If you like, send me an email and I can help.

Reactions: mikendalex

·
Registered
273 Posts
You're in northern Ohio, right? There are shows in Canfield next weekend, starting 8/2. There will be conformation, obedience, agility and rally obedience if you want to go and watch. Schedules for each event can be found at www.infodog.com, just click on show information and find the day you want to see.

You could probably get away with taking the puppy with you, but they can get pretty icky about unentered adult dogs.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Maybe not - lots of people carry puppies around. But, you have to consider that your pup probably hasn't had all her shots at her young age, and you'd be exposing her to goodness knows what. There's some serious crud that goes around at dog shows sometimes.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Maybe not - lots of people carry puppies around. But, you have to consider that your pup probably hasn't had all her shots at her young age, and you'd be exposing her to goodness knows what. There's some serious crud that goes around at dog shows sometimes.
I think you also have to consider just how long the attention span is on a young puppy..about 3 seconds, LOL. If you're planning on staying for any length of time, your puppy is going to get bored (and probably unruly) and that can put a real damper on the whole situation.

I think you're more likely to get thrown out with a young puppy than you are with one that's cropped, ears standing and who looks like it could be entered that day.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
We didn't bring Java to a show until her ears were untaped. She had been bathed that am. Made sure she did her business before we entered the arena, brought along a waste bag just in case. Picked her up and carried her straight up to the stands outside the ring the Dobes were showing in. Within 15 minutes she was asleep on my lap - too much excitement for a puppy, but great to see the adults in the ring.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I think you also have to consider just how long the attention span is on a young puppy..about 3 seconds, LOL. If you're planning on staying for any length of time, your puppy is going to get bored (and probably unruly) and that can put a real damper on the whole situation.
I didn't even think about the attention span issue. You're right. I remember taking Cyrus to a show at 16 weeks to meet a handler, and it was tough keeping his attention until he realized that guy with the magic pocket full of chicken was in the ring in front of him - then Bill had his attention.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
As far as taking your puppy; in most of the show premium list, they have some statement about only dogs who are entered are allowed. I think that applies just around the the rings. However the rule is broken frequently! But just thought you should know. Hope you get to some shows and have fun! Also all sorts of crud does get passed around at the shows.

Robin and Rex

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You're in northern Ohio, right? There are shows in Canfield next weekend, starting 8/2. There will be conformation, obedience, agility and rally obedience if you want to go and watch. Schedules for each event can be found at www.infodog.com, just click on show information and find the day you want to see.

You could probably get away with taking the puppy with you, but they can get pretty icky about unentered adult dogs.

Hey do you know when it starts and how much to get in i mean just to watch?

·
Registered
273 Posts
There will be a judging program for each day on Infodog, just click on whatever day you want to go. If I can ever get Infodog to load, I'll post the ring and time.

Canfield is an outside show, they usually only charge you to park.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thankz alot im probable going to check it out on friday but from what every one is saying im not going to bring soto.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I am new to this forum, but I gather your puppy is about the age of 3 months now. I say if you are interested in showing, first make sure he is of competitive conformation (ask an experienced breeder to look at the puppy and give you an honest evaluation). Make sure he/she is happy and socialized to all different situations Look for a puppy class in your area and take the puppy. Then go to a couple shows to "watch or observe" how things are done. Don't be in a hurry, cause you want the puppy to think it is a "fun" thing to do. So keep your sessions short. Anyway good luck, and mabe will see you at show, hopefully with a "blue" ribbon!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts