Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

Me and my husband bought a Dobie. We had recently lost our little rat terrier and have always wanted a Doberman. Our Dobie's name is Chaos and he is 11 weeks old. I researched reputible breeders for a while before deciding on one. We looked at the family health certificate, family lines ect. Everything looked good..but we are new to this. I wasn't worried until I read a post on here today about a Dobe that attacked his owners face. This Dobe has all the training and proper handling (according to poster). The breeders gave him and his gf all the family lineage ect. Come to find out there have been several dogs in that line that have aggression issues. Our breeder assured us that none of her dogs have aggression issues but how can I find out for sure? I don't want one of my children to get mauled.

Chaos is going to puppy training classes and is a typical puppy. He gets into everything, likes to chew on stuff he shouldn't. I watch him like I do my little one's...he is never alone! I don't leave him alone with my little one's. I'm lucky in that I'm home all day with him and to assist in his training! He is the cutest little guy!!!

Anyway, if anyone can help me in where to begin my research...I have all the information regarding his family line, just not sure how or where to find out about the history.

Thanks,

Stacie

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Welcome to DT! If you post his pedigree we have some people here who are decently knowledgeable on past dogs. Who is your breeder? There of some breeders who have a history of temperament problems in their dogs. It could also be that you're fine so don't be too worried :]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to DT! If you post his pedigree we have some people here who are decently knowledgeable on past dogs. Who is your breeder? There of some breeders who have a history of temperament problems in their dogs. It could also be that you're fine so don't be too worried :]
Thank you for the welcome!

I don't talk Dobie yet so forgive me! Chaos' parents are:

Int'l/Nat'l/Ehren/UKC CH Molly Girl Hagen, CGC

was bred to

AM CH Epik's Black Tie Affair, CGC, TT

The breeder is Tammy Young from Providence Kennels.

Here is her link to the whelping box (I think there is even a picture of little Chaos!):

Providence Kennels

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the welcome!

I don't talk Dobie yet so forgive me! Chaos' parents are:

Int'l/Nat'l/Ehren/UKC CH Molly Girl Hagen, CGC

was bred to

AM CH Epik's Black Tie Affair, CGC, TT

The breeder is Tammy Young from Providence Kennels.

Here is her link to the whelping box (I think there is even a picture of little Chaos!):

Providence Kennels

Also on this link is the pedigree for Molly VS Falcon (DAM/Sire):

Providence Kennels

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Thanks for posting that :] It'll help. I've never heard of the breeder or of the sire/dam but I'm didn't look at breeders in that area when looking for a dog. I'm sure somebody more knowledgeable will be able to chime in. I'm pretty sure that the TT in the sire's name means that he's been temperament tested so that's promising.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
All I can say is starting reading lots and get a grip on biting and nipping.
Especially with small children this is very important.
My Nubis pup is my 3rd dobe with cats and that is fun in itself. I could only imagine the fun with small kids.
Just keep coming back here for help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All I can say is starting reading lots and get a grip on biting and nipping.
Especially with small children this is very important.
My Nubis pup is my 3rd dobe with cats and that is fun in itself. I could only imagine the fun with small kids.
Just keep coming back here for help.

Thank you...this site has been awesome! So far no problems with biting or nipping the kids. Just furniture..so when he starts I replace it with his toys. He has bit me...when I was sitting on the floor ...he was playing. I did what the trainer told me to do...I "yelped" real loud and said "no bite" and then gave him something else to chew on. However, the breeder said she likes to take her thumb and press it down on his tongue and bottom jaw and say "no bite"...but not sure about that. I haven't tried it. I didn't want to do anything that caused pain or was uncomfortable.

He is doing great with his kennel at night. All we say is "kennel up" and he goes in lays down. He whines for a few minutes and then falls asleep. I do put him in it during the day for a nap...just so he is used to being in it, other than at night time.

I look forward to reading and learing more!!

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Sounds good for a little pup. Do remember when u are sitting on the floor, the pup will get more excited in the play cuz now you are considered a littermate and everything is game on.
When play is out of control, curb it or simply stand up tall, NO Play and walk away.
I do have play sessions with my Nubis on the floor but it is when he is in a mellow sombre mode, less room for acceleration and getting pumped up.
I also start it by saying Lets Play, so he eventually knows its playtime with his big ole dad. And I end it, hopefully on a good note with No Play.
The little buggers catch on quick, especially being rewarded with praise and treats.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds good for a little pup. Do remember when u are sitting on the floor, the pup will get more excited in the play cuz now you are considered a littermate and everything is game on.
When play is out of control, curb it or simply stand up tall, NO Play and walk away.
I do have play sessions with my Nubis on the floor but it is when he is in a mellow sombre mode, less room for acceleration and getting pumped up.
I also start it by saying Lets Play, so he eventually knows its playtime with his big ole dad. And I end it, hopefully on a good note with No Play.
The little buggers catch on quick, especially being rewarded with praise and treats.
Awesome tips!! Thank you for sharing that! I will use them today and tonight when I try to tire him out during playtime! lol! I wish I had his energy... :)

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
that isn't a kennel I would have recommended, just by the website but they seem to be doing the right things. Some of the pictures of less than great, not sure if its the job of stacking the dogs that needs help or if the structure isn't good.
good luck with your pup! I laughed at the name, you need to be careful when picking names, dogs can live up to them.

·
Mom of the Herd
238 Posts
:clap: I'm new to Dob talk also, my pup is 14 weeks and I use this site alot. The people always help when u have a question. My girl is on the timid side and I'm have a cop across the street who trains the police dogs for the county work with her. Think I'll find out about her parents past also, things on here have got me thinking. I'm older and I'm praying she'll stay as sweet as she is now. Our worse problem so far is she won't walk on the floors in public, flattens herself and won't move at the vets door or Petsmart! LOL !!! Hope all goes well with your pup, keep talking so I can compare your ups and downs with mine.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Take baby steps with those floors, even its 3 feet forward/return, reward praise. They are unsure of their footing and are off balanced. Slow gradual introduction, it works.
I have gotten Nubis up 3 step stairwellls easily now and he has started on a 5 stepper. But he is grasping slow walk mode now with our walks and I tell him slow coming down the stairs except 2nd last step down he likes leaping off, what a pup. hehehe

·
joie de vivre
11,274 Posts
It's not a breeder I'd have chosen based on the information provided on their site. It looks to me like they're putting in a lot of effort to look like they're doing things right...but they're not. Maybe they're being misled by another breeder who is mentoring them. I don't know.

As for researching temperament in the pedigree, your best bet is probably to find honest breed people who are familiar with the dogs in your pup's pedigree and ask them for information.

Reactions: Adara
1 - 13 of 13 Posts