Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! Its been a while since I was on (been REALLY busy for a while)

Anyway....I adopted a 2 year old female Dobie girl (Darcy) right before Christmas. She was being fed Beneful by her previous owner, the rescue that took her in (all dobe rescue) was feeding her a mix of that and whatever they feed. When I adopted her, I got a bag of maybe 4lbs of that mix and did a slow switch to what I feed Copper which is Chicken soup (adult).

Copper had giardia when I adopted him and it started really showing up about 4 months after I adopted him (He was adopted @10 weeks old in May of 2010.....giardia signs started showing up badly in around September..until then it was just loose poos once in a while which I thought was normal). We did the treatment and it would work a few days, then back to the frothy disgusting mess that is giardia. Finally with treatments going on for about a month, we had our first real frost of the year and it killed it and it went away completely.

Onto Darcy....I don't like beneful...I know its junk. I also know that there is better food than Chicken Soup out there as well, but it seemed to be the only thing that copper would 1..eat and 2...maintain weight on. I was told many things that were not quite right about her when I adopted her....nothing bad, just that she didn't like her butt area touched (she LOVES getting her butt scratched) and a few other little things. They said her weight was perfect when I adopted her, but personally, I thought otherwise. I could see her spine clearly (at least 4 or 5 vertebre) and I could also see her hip bones and a couple ribs. I did the food switch like I"m supposed to but had to do it faster than I normally would considering I wasn't given much of her old food to begin with and wasn't told what they mixed into it. I did feed her a bit more than she was eating before because I REALLY felt she needed to gain at least 5lbs to look healthy...which she does now (look healthy).

UGH...this is getting long and drawn out....I'll just cut to the chase

The past 2 days, Darcy has had pretty bad diarrhea (her stool has been loose since a few days after she got here, but not this bad). It almost looks like Giardia, but I don't think that's what it is. Its smelly...but she's had BAD farts since she came here and continues to have bad gas. I have thought about switching them both to grain free so I mixed a bit of a new food I wanted to try out into their chicken soup and it seems she's gotten worse on that than with just chicken soup and a bit of canned food mixed in. They said she didn't handle chicken well, but with all the other false info I got, and considering they only had her in the rescue at a foster home for about a week, I wasn't sure they were right. I've never fed her chicken just to be safe, but chicken soup is OBVIOUSLY made with chicken. But she was doing ok on the chicken soup...its since I mixed grain free in that she's had more problems. I stopped that and she is STILL having the diarrhea issues. I'm wondering if maybe she's just one of those dogs that does much better on the cheaper brands of food because of all the junk/binders in it? I"m going to take a stool sample to the vet and see what they can find out, but in the meantime I'll try some rice/ground beef or just mix rice in the dry food and see if that helps.

If anyone has any input, I'd greatly appreciate it. I just can't see her having giardia considering I'm in Northern Ohio and we're definitely FROZEN right now and any bacteria in our yard would be dead. Maybe a round of the meds we used on Copper would help her? I'm at a loss on this one :(

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Could be a case of too many changes at one time and it's throwing her system off. My dogs have all always had cast iron tummies but oddly the one food I cannot feed without loose stools is Chicken Soup for the Soul. All 4 of my dogs had horrible diarrhea on it and they aer dogs that can typically do a cold turkey switch on foods (they can, but I don't do that).

I would go back to what she was having normal stools on or try a bland diet and then when stools get normal, slowly put her back on the kibble.

Reactions: MeadowCat

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I called my vet and that's exactly what they said. They said to put her back on Beneful and go from there. If mixing rice in with beneful doesn't help her by monday or tuesday, then I'll take her in and have her stool checked.

Copper does great on Chicken soup, but I totally get that some dog don't do well on it....plus the lack of "flavors" to switch around has gotten him pretty bored with it unless we mix in canned food which his why I was going to try to switch them both over to something a little better. But with this going on with her, I'm going to halt that decision and leave him on the chicken soup for now, then try beneful on her for a while again and see how it goes. I guess if she never gets used to a different food I'll have to continue with beneful even thought that food gives me the heebie jeebies LOL

·
Registered
771 Posts
If mine get tummy issues I will usually cook some chicken and rice for them to have for a meal. Half a cup chicken and half a cup rice. Always has worked for me. Just chicken and rice the first one, then mix it with a little kibble. I have always heard of giving a dog imodium; but I have never tried it. I do know if should only be used for a day. If the issue is not resolved by then, you should probably see your vet.

Do some food research before you start switching her, and mix very slowly. When switching foods it can always cause tummy issues, but when switching from something like beneful? Think of it like a detox.

Best of luck with her, hope her tummy feels better :)

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
My Vet says Immodium, along with the bland diet is good. Immodium does a good job of calming the gut...it does them a sleepy, tho...I didn't know that the first time I gave it to Moj and it freaked me out...

If she doesn't do well with chicken, I'd use lean burger to mix with the rice.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Ask your vet about Metronidazole. It's an intestinal antibiotic and is very good at firming up stools. Also, some plain or vanilla yogurt will help re establish good bacteria. She will love it too. Good luck with her.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I managed to find her old owner on facebook! She was not feeding her Beneful, she was feeding Nutro lamb and rice. She said that Darcy didn't do well at all with anything with chicken in it. The doberman rescue only had her for maybe 2 weeks before I adopted her, so it must have been what the foster was using (beneful). Then I searched Nutro on here and WOW Yeah....I'll pass. So I searched "sensitive stomach" and saw that most people on here with dobes with sensitive stomachs are using Pro Plan, so I got some Pro Plan sensitive stomach and skin and we're going to try that out. Did a mix last night and her poos were firmer this morning....not FIRM, but firmer....even though she still had a problem holding it and wound up going on the kitchen floor (easy to clean so I'll live LOL).

There are 3 different Pro Plan formulas that do not contain any chicken products....Sensitive stomach and skin, beef and rice and lamb and rice. I've never been a big fan of purina (especially since I visited their dog food factory in KY with a friend who's cousin worked there when I was a teenager...OH THE SMELL UGH) but I guess if its all she can tolerate, I'm better off feeding her something she can stomach so to speak. The big question would be....would I be better off keeping Copper on the chicken soup he is used to, or switch him over to the pro plan too (if it does indeed work for Darcy)? It would be much easier on me if they both ate the same food, but I could deal with 2 different kinds if I had to. As of now, he'll be eating the Chicken soup for at least another month because before she started having the poo issues, I bought 2 35lb bags LOL Oh well....

I believe she also used to be fed twice a day. Copper will only eat once a day so that is what I have been doing with them. I'm wondering if I should start feeding twice a day now and if that would help her any? I'm afraid I'd over feed if I fed twice a day...or should I just break up what I normally feed them both at dinner time into 2 meals a day and just feed each of them half of what I normally feed at dinner time? I'm not sure Copper would do it, but I guess if I had to I could just feed Darcy twice a day and then keep Copper on the same schedule he's been on.

OH the drama :) I love my doggies though :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ask your vet about Metronidazole. It's an intestinal antibiotic and is very good at firming up stools. Also, some plain or vanilla yogurt will help re establish good bacteria. She will love it too. Good luck with her.
If her poop doesn't firm up, I will definitely ask the vet for some of that. I believe that is what we used with Copper to help when he had giardia.

Yogurt is on my shopping list for today LOL I meant to pick some up yesterday, but right before I left to go get her the pro plan, the weather got pretty bad and after looking through 100 different dog foods to find something with beef/lamb/fish and NO CHICKEN whatsoever in the ingredients....I went home before rush hour traffic went into effect with all that dang snow that was coming down! I have greek yogurt, but i'm not sure that has the same effect?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I don't know about greek yogurt. I would just stick with the real thing..lol
I highly recommend you fed twice a day.
Half of what you would feed once a day. It's so much better for their digestive systems. Besides, I can't imagine only eating once a day. I feel like I would starve! Hope she feels better soon! BTW, I've heard some good things about Pro Plan sensitive skin and stomach.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know about greek yogurt. I would just stick with the real thing..lol
I highly recommend you fed twice a day.
Half of what you would feed once a day. It's so much better for their digestive systems. Besides, I can't imagine only eating once a day. I feel like I would starve! Hope she feels better soon! BTW, I've heard some good things about Pro Plan sensitive skin and stomach.
I got a big tub of regular yogurt.....she LOVES It LOL

Also....Copper loves the pro plan UGH He kept trying to steal it from her. This could get interesting LOL I may have to ask the pet store if I can take back one of those 35lb bags of chicken soup and trade it for pro plan :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts