Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my Dobie pup yesterday. Ive never had a dogs ear cropped but i definitely love the look. Is there any plus's to ear croping besides just cosmetic? Can any dobie lovers give me advice and opinions and information on ear croping?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well thats what im concerned about. Is paying big money for a terrible crop. The breeder recomended her vet she uses but she said they do the short crop so its less care extensive and less chance to fall down or mess up. I have 2 local vets ive spoken too and they say they do all the crops including show crops but im just nervous cause ive never did this before.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Well thats what im concerned about. Is paying big money for a terrible crop. The breeder recomended her vet she uses but she said they do the short crop so its less care extensive and less chance to fall down or mess up. I have 2 local vets ive spoken too and they say they do all the crops including show crops but im just nervous cause ive never did this before.
Find breeders in your area (DPCA | Home - there is a breeder referral list on this site) whose crops you like and ask them who they go to. A good crop is worth the money but you want to make sure that you've SEEN dogs cropped by that vet. Where are you located? The members here can probably tell you where the closest cropping artist is.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If u dont mind me asking where did you gets yours done and what was the price? Like is it possible to get the ear crop at a certain vet and have a local vet do all the retapeing and follow up work? Im on the border of TX and i seen u were from tx is why i ask

·
dobie fanatic
149 Posts
Yes it is possible thats how I had to do mine. With apollo I was on vacation in north carolina with him and we werent gonna be home within the recommended cropping time frame so I got them done in nc. I called my local vet first though to make sure he knew how to care post and tape and found he also cropped ears. So I wasnt worried got them done in nc and my vet in georgia helped us out with the first couple repostings and cleaning. Great experience just make sure your local vet will be ok with it and has the proper knowledge to handle it.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Welcome and although the AR groups have worked hard to convince folks that ear cropping is only cosmetic it does have its value.

First it is a cropped and docked breed and good breeder crop puppies at 7 weeks before they go to their families.

2nd there is a much higher incidence of ear infections in flopped eared dogs
3rd floppy ears are prone to hemotomas due to the flapping of the ears.

So if you dog is prone to this then cropping would and does help.

It is also known that while it does not improve hearing it does help the dog in locating the position of the sound hence you will see them use those ears like antenaes.

This is all according Dr. Beverly Purswell, DVM and board member for DPCA. Bless her for not caving in to the AR agenda. Not to mention the Doberman Pinscher is a cropped and docked breed.

·
Dober-DERP
302 Posts
Would just like to ad, the optimal time to crop the ear for it to stand is by 12 weeks old. Some vets will let you crop until 16 weeks old but be advised there is a chance your dogs ears won't stand, will look funny, or may take a very long time to stand (I've heard of owners who cropped late or had other issues who had to post for a year)

Also, the longer you get the ears cropped, the longer they'll take to stand on their own. Military/Pitbull crop is the shortest, but I personally think it looks like garbage on Dobes and have yet to see a military crop I've liked.

As for pain wise, I used to work as a body modification artist and have done much the same thing to humans with no anesthetic and they have told me it isnt that bad. For a Doberman, they'll put it unconscious or sedated, so they don't feel the cutting at all :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the information. My puppy is supposed to be 8 weeks old right now. I am however unsure because the breeder met us in town and forgot her AKC papers. She is supposed to mail them today but we will see.

Another question being she is the Fawn/Isabella and tan dobie. Which i love the unique coloring. I only knew of the Red and black and blue. So is the fawn/isabella coloring more uncommon then the rest of the colors?

Also is the fawn/isabella colored disqaulified from the AKC show ring as a fault?

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
Thanks for the information. My puppy is supposed to be 8 weeks old right now. I am however unsure because the breeder met us in town and forgot her AKC papers. She is supposed to mail them today but we will see.

Another question being she is the Fawn/Isabella and tan dobie. Which i love the unique coloring. I only knew of the Red and black and blue. So is the fawn/isabella coloring more uncommon then the rest of the colors?

Also is the fawn/isabella colored disqaulified from the AKC show ring as a fault?
Sadly, if the breeder "forgot" to bring her papers, there is a good chance you may never get them. "Forgetting" the proper paperwork may mean the the puppy is not actually registerable.

Dilutes (blues and fawns) are allowed colors, but are prone to a condition called Color Dilution Alopecia. It causes brittle hair shafts and hair loss. Some dogs can keep a fairly nice coat with only slight thinning, while others can wind up totally bald. There have been several thread on here about CDA.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thats what i figured is i probably will never get them. She showed me she had AKC papers on the parents and the parents pictures but she said she took the puppy papers out of the folder when i contacted her and she forgot to put them back in. Either way i got her just for a pet but it would be nice to have her papers.

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
I'm afraid you've probably bought your pup from a less than reputable breeder. A good breeder wouldn't have "forgotten" the paperwork, and would have told you about CDA. Did your breeder tell you about the common health problems is Dobes, like DCM (dilated Cardiomyopathy), and thyroid problems? Did you see the paperwork for hips, thyroid, and heart testing on the parents when she showed you the registration certificates?

Also, if you saw the registration certificates, do you remember what color the border was? If they didn't both have purple borders, your pup is not registerable. An orange border on a registration certificate means the dog has limited (non-breeding) registration.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
If u dont mind me asking where did you gets yours done and what was the price? Like is it possible to get the ear crop at a certain vet and have a local vet do all the retapeing and follow up work? Im on the border of TX and i seen u were from tx is why i ask
My boy's breeder flies in a particular vet to do every one of her litters. The price for the crop was included in the price of the puppy. Sorry that I can't be more helpful.

You've gotten some great advice in this thread, I suggest heeding it.

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
3rd floppy ears are prone to hemotomas due to the flapping of the ears.

So if you dog is prone to this then cropping would and does help.
While I prefer a natural Dobe, I am not "anti" crop/dock. Just to address one of your points, though, the only dog I've ever owned that had an ear flap hematoma was a heeler mix, with very small, naturally prick ears. To this day, I have no idea how she managed to break the cartilage in her ear. Never had a floppy-eared dog with a hematoma.

Reactions: RedFawnRising

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
She did not discuss much with me. She wasnt a Show breeder or a puppy mill breeder. More then likely a hobby breeder. For the price i paid for my pet puppy id expect to see health issues along with any other dog someone would adopt or buy from a hobby breeder. The parents were full registration AKC. only issue as of right now with my puppy is she has worms. Which is common for puppies to have.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
She did not discuss much with me. She wasnt a Show breeder or a puppy mill breeder. More then likely a hobby breeder. For the price i paid for my pet puppy id expect to see health issues along with any other dog someone would adopt or buy from a hobby breeder. The parents were full registration AKC. only issue as of right now with my puppy is she has worms. Which is common for puppies to have.
Well, worms and the fact that cropping is left completely up to you. Should you decide to do it, you'll have to deal with finding a legitimate cropping artist who won't botch her ears and you have to deal with all of the immediate aftercare - something a reputable breeder does before the puppies go to their new homes.

But you're a step ahead with expecting there to be possible health issues, so that's a plus. You can be prepared. Do you know what the common health issues in this breed are? - Dobe Health Issues

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Welcome. We all love to see pics. I am especially partial to fawn puppies, as I have two fawntastic dogs of my own. You need a GREAT cropping vet, ask on here for vets in your area. Medicority shows, and it's not pretyy

This may not be the most popular post I've ever made on DT (sorry guys), but given the choice of crop or not with a fawn- CROP. I have 2 rescues, one was way to old to crop when we got him (about 1 year to - 18months). The other was just right, and we did it. I love Leo (the uncropped boy) as much as I love Mac (the cropped girl). You will NEVER stop fielding questions about what kind of dog you have with an uncropped fawn. I have had total strangers try to convince me that I was incorrect, and Leo is REALLY a weim. Um, yeah, I have no idea what kinda dog is sitting next to me be being the breed ambassador at our rescue tent....:confused:

But, if you aren't willing to put in the aftercare and work, don't bother.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts