Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Dobie_Lover94
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you can tell by the title, I'm new to this forum and I'll be getting a Doberman puppy soon. I've done a lot of research already and I feel completely prepared, but I'm always wanting to learn more.

I have a breeder picked out already that seems pretty legit, but if you know of anymore in the state of Florida, feel free to let me know! And any tips on training are always welcomed. I know how to train somewhat, I remember a lot from when I had a German Shepherd.

In short, if there is anything you feel like I need to know, let me know. I want to give my baby the best life possible.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Welcome.
This forum is definetely a good place to get a lot of helpful information and to learn a great deal.

·
Feed Me
1,008 Posts
Welcome from PA! Searching for a pup can be a fun and frustrating time. You mentioned your breeder seems legit, if you have any doubts here are a few things to keep in mind. Are they part of the DPCA? That's one screening tool that can be used to help find quality breeders. A dobe pup is a big commitment and you'll want to be able to rely upon your breeder for questions and help for years to come. Health testing and titling are important for any potential breeder, and in general you want them to be breeding to help improve the breed while aiming for the breed standard. Folks here are most helpful and can recommend breeders local to your area or within a driving radius. Good luck and welcome!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
A good training book is The Power of Positive Dog Training by Pat Miller. I don't care for the "pack leader/dominance" training and it's been outdated and debunked.

Also obedience class with positive reinforcement training is great too, it helps with socialization and bonding in addition to training.

Welcome to DT from Ohio!

Just curious, what made you"switch" from GSDs to dobes?

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
who did you find in Florida? do they title their dogs and do all health tests listed by the DPCA on this page?

Reactions: RedFawnRising

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Hi, welcome to DT.

There are great free online resources for effective humane training--kikopup's channel on youtube is great, Susan Garret's crate games videos are wonderful impulse control exercises that really help your dog to focus and think.

The Pat Miller book mentioned is wonderful, as is Turid Rugaas' On Talking Terms with Dogs: Calming Signals book, and Leslie McDevitt's Control Unleashed. (She has a specific puppy version, too).

If you don't already have a very breed savvy mentor, it might be helpful to you to run your potential chosen breeder by the forum--sadly, our breed is riddled with health and temperament issues, at this point in time, and it can really be a daunting task finding a decent breeder, sometimes.

Reactions: SilasPup
1 - 6 of 6 Posts