Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone! We just got our girl “Vixxen” on Saturday and got her ears cropped on Sunday. She is 12 weeks old.
She has been doing very well with leaving them alone. We haven’t touched them or used a cone. Just have let them hang and haven’t cleaned them.
I’m extremely confused on cleaning or no cleaning, having them up or leave them hanging. I’ve searched this forum and people say totally different things. We chose the medium crop for her. Can anyone clarify?
Thanks!
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Grass Working animal

Nose Hand Dog Jaw Neck
Hand Dog breed Felidae Carnivore Ear

·
Registered
4yr old female
373 Posts
Leave hanging and no cleaning until all scabs are gone on their own, don't pick/peel the scabs.

·
Big Lil pup
7,537 Posts
Yup & Yup ^^^^^^ Leave them be.

Here is a discussion by member greenkouki about cropping and post-crop/pre-post aftercare you might find helpful. Since Vixxen's ears are cropped, just skip to the pertinent parts:
Ear Cropping and Aftercare: Do's and Don'ts

Now... Welcome to you and Vixxen from the Pacific NW. Before you start to post her ears, come back on and read this terrific visual tutorial, also by greenkouki:
How to: Posting Show Cropped Ears Using Backer Rod

The general consensus here on DT is for the owner to post their own puppy's ears. It works out best for a multitude of reasons. The above tutorial will give you all the info you need and you will find any additional support that you might need right here from our members.

John L
Portland OR

·
Premium Member
11,777 Posts
Are her sutures still in? Did the vet tell you that dissolving suture material was used so she doesn't need to go back to the vet to have the sutures taken out--or?

Leave everything on the ear where the surgery was done alone--don't wash, apply ointments or pick at the scabs.

When the entire ear edges are healed and the section at the bottom is healed then it's time to start posting. But as long as the ears are exposed to air there should be no problem with infection and presently they look about like I'd expect ears cropped less than a week ago to look.

Take a look at the How to Post link that John posted--lots of information there about how to post and what supplies you will need both to post and to remove posts.

dobebug

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are her sutures still in? Did the vet tell you that dissolving suture material was used so she doesn't need to go back to the vet to have the sutures taken out--or?

Leave everything on the ear where the surgery was done alone--don't wash, apply ointments or pick at the scabs.

When the entire ear edges are healed and the section at the bottom is healed then it's time to start posting. But as long as the ears are exposed to air there should be no problem with infection and presently they look about like I'd expect ears cropped less than a week ago to look.

Take a look at the How to Post link that John posted--lots of information there about how to post and what supplies you will need both to post and to remove posts.

dobebug
Her sutures are still in- not dissolvable. She’s 4 days post crop. She’s handled it really well. We have let them hang, haven’t touched or applied anything so I believe we’re on the right track 🙏🏻

·
Big Lil pup
7,537 Posts
Oh Sara,

If you feel like it... When Vixxen's sutures are removed and you feel that her ears are completely healed, you could come back and post a photo to get some thoughts. There are also a few tips that make first time posting attempts a bit easier that we can pass on to you.

And more importantly: Welcome to DT from the Pacific NW!

John L.
Portland OR

1 - 7 of 7 Posts