Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi every one! well one day life was normal and the next my grandma surprised me with something ive wanted since i was a child... a dobbie his name is Leo and he is 6 weeks. i have already started crate training which has worked very well he pottys like 12 times a day so its a race to the door but he has learned v3ry fast im impressed. i love him so much! i look forward to befriending those who love their dobe as much as i love mine! any tips for a 1st time dobe owner.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Get Leo to your vet asap for a health check, worm check and shot schedule set up. Do not allow him on the floor as dogs pee & poop in vets all the time. Do not have him out where he can be exposed to other dogs that might be harboring diseases or where other dogs or animals might be leaving diseased poop/pee. Feed him the best food you can afford like Acana, Natures Variety Prairie, Wellness. I have several educational sites below to help people. Mainly, just dont feed grocery store food. Most are horrible with no meat that can be identified. Six weeks is too young and your pup will have special problems because he has missed lessons from mom & littermates like bite inhibition, how not to bite to hard. You will have to teach him. After shots and vet clearance, get him around other pups & people as much as possible. Obedience classes are wonderful for this. Avoid dog parks, too many pups get attacked. Enjoy & love him.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you! we have a dr appt in a few weeks we already had his first shots today. =) ive been feeding him puppy chow is that bad? well it was a small bag so i will look at the websites you provided, thanx for that to i want him to grow healthy big and strong. you are very rite about his biting how do i teach him?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Puppy chow is horrible

Google the dog food project. You are going to have your hands full. I can guarantee you didn't get him from as good breeder. No breeder will let their pups go that young and as a surprise gift. Good luck. I hope you stick around, there are alot of knowledgeable people here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
to be honest i dont think they were a good breeder he's Akc registered but im sure they just do it for the money based on what my grandma told me regardless he's still a blessing. and ms jenn i will be sticking around im so glad i found this blog. i still dont know what to do about his biting he just plays but bites really hard. ms linda called it bite inhibitions, what other lessons did he miss from mom and litter mates cause of his age.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
If you do a search on the forum about biting a lot of material will come up. Indeed puppy chow prob does not have all the healthy things that your little one needs. You can find healthy dog food brands at your local feed store, you wont find the dog food you should feed in your local store.

One way you can teach your little one to be gentle is take some peanut butter and put it on the back of your hand so that when he licks you, you praise him and reward with another treat. And when the little one bites you too hard make a high pitch sound of your choice, mine is ouch then get up and walk away. That your little will see that when they bite too hard play time over. Hopefully he will make a connection and start to have a softer bite.

Reactions: GingerGunlock

·
U got some splain' to do
244 Posts
This is a very good site with a lot of experienced Dobie owned humans. Welcome and enjoy that handsome little guy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanx everyone! shadow wolf i will try the peanut butter. i am loving this website! when i got him he looked a little thin ive been feeding him 4 times a day it that normal for a 6 week pup hes not super thin just a tad i was womndering what else i can feed him to fatten him up a bit, oh and i decided to but wellness dog food

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
thank you! we have a dr appt in a few weeks we already had his first shots today. =) ive been feeding him puppy chow is that bad? well it was a small bag so i will look at the websites you provided, thanx for that to i want him to grow healthy big and strong. you are very rite about his biting how do i teach him?
I do believe the very first thing new puppy or dog owners should do is have a vet visit. Especially with a puppy so young. A wellness puppy visit should be done sooner vs later in my opinion.

Congrats on your new addition.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I do believe the very first thing new puppy or dog owners should do is have a vet visit. Especially with a puppy so young. A wellness puppy visit should be done sooner vs later in my opinion.

Congrats on your new addition.
^This^

Get him to a vet asap.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Welcome from Virginia. Best wishes with your puppy.

You will find a lot of good advice and a lot of true Dobermann lovers on this site.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts