Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
sweep the leg
1,016 Posts
I don't know of any cropping vets in WA as I am in TX, but your breeder should be able to recommend a good cropping vet to you. If not, you could go to the DPCA's breeder referral page and find reputable breeders near you. Reputable breeders will crop/dock their pups before sending them to their new homes so they can advise you on the best croppers in your area. I would trust their judgement as they would look for the best for their own pups.

Be prepared for a drive if the best is some hours away from you! I'd prefer those soft floppies to a jacked up crop job. ;)

Good luck - he's a cutie!!

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Welcome to DT. Hilary gave you some great advice. If I remember right most of the breeders in that area go to a vet in Canada for good crops? Somebody from that area will chime in.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Welcome to DT. Good breeders handle cropping for their puppy buyers so they are not burdened with finding a good cropping vet. A majority of the breeders in WA go to:

Dr. Rick Douglas, Newton Animal Clinic 7010 King George Hwy
Surrey, BC V3W 4Z9
(604) 596-7417

**good working breeders excluded from the above comment as many good working breeders leave pups natural**

·
Sashagirl
119 Posts
Congrats on your new pup and becoming member on this site. It took me three yers to become a member and I definitely wish I would have done so when Sasha was a 8 Weeks old. We live in the Puyallup/Graham area, of you need anything other than ear crop recommendations let me know. As far as Ear cropping in the area, there is a vet in the Parkland area. I have heard he has been cropping for a long time, other than him I woudnt reccomend you going to anyone in the local area. If I was to do it all over again I would take everyone elses advice and take a trip North of the border! Sasha's had hers done by Vet from the East coast that was in the local area for a month, sorry I couldn't be more of a help wth the ear cropping. As far as food goes, you will get a number of different responses with that topic, I would say stay with 5 star food Companies, ACANA, Orejen, and Instinst. I spent a lot of trial and error with Sasha due to her senistive stomach. AND as far as training goes, just worry about building a strong bond with him for the first month while rewarding good behaviors. I wouldnt suggest spanking, yelling, or any form of E collars like some trianers use. When you do decide to start the formal training past your own ability there is place right off of Canyon road called Canyon crest K9 there is a well known K9 trainer by the name of Ron Pace, I am actually thinking about starting Sasha in one of his K9 classes. Hope this help!

·
Sashagirl
119 Posts
Congrats on your new pup and becoming member on this site. It took me three yers to become a member and I definitely wish I would have done so when Sasha was a 8 Weeks old. We live in the Puyallup/Graham area, of you need anything other than ear crop recommendations let me know. As far as Ear cropping in the area, there is a vet in the Parkland area. I have heard he has been cropping for a long time, other than him I woudnt reccomend you going to anyone in the local area. If I was to do it all over again I would take everyone elses advice and take a trip North of the border! Sasha's had hers done by Vet from the East coast that was in the local area for a month, sorry I couldn't be more of a help wth the ear cropping. As far as food goes, you will get a number of different responses with that topic, I would say stay with 5 star food Companies, ACANA, Orejen, and Instinst. I spent a lot of trial and error with Sasha due to her senistive stomach. AND as far as training goes, just worry about building a strong bond with him for the first month while rewarding good behaviors. I wouldnt suggest spanking, yelling, or any form of E collars like some trianers use. When you do decide to start the formal training past your own ability there is place right off of Canyon road called Canyon crest K9 there is a well known K9 trainer by the name of Ron Pace, I am actually thinking about starting Sasha in one of his K9 classes. Hope this help!
Sorry maybe I shouldnt read while other things are going on around me, I thought you posted Puyallup, WA

·
Maximus Odin Aurelius
549 Posts
Welcome and congratulations on your new puppy. If I can say just one thing when training your puppy....consistancy! Good luck with training and your ear cropping.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Hi Teddy...you a cutie boy.
abk1220 - Congrats on new puppy !!

Welcome from Canada...from senior Amy & her Dad.

a) Basic commands come easier once the fun loving bond, is established / don't expect instant results, the relationship through much play, is paramount first.
I do this by daily playing, sitting on the living room floor...first I want the pup to respond to my voice and keep eye focus on me.
I avoid treats for training, so I will gently guide a pup into a sit with my hand & use a hand signal for stay...tap the floor with my hand to get puppy down.
- with loads of love and praise
b) I do treat puppy for a week or two, prior to turning on the vaccum cleaner & dishwasher.
c) I use the word "ITCH" to discourage puppy destructive chewing...in a stern voice / love and praise immediately following compliance.
d) A few days to a few weeks, pup should know some basic commands...other than a solid recall.
After I train inside the house, than I redo exercises outside where there are many more distractions and I can proof our lessons.
e) SOCIALIZE +1000x - people of all ages, many places & many noises.
I don't introduce pup early to other dogs much, until my pup builds its confidence...look for win-win situalions.
f) Only buy Pro Tennis balls - cheap WallMart quality, quickly crack in half. Orange road hockey ball is good....so is Cuz toys with squeakers.
g) Potty training outside every 40 minutes and taken out in the middle of the night (first month). / Max. time in crate is 4 hours, if adults left house.

More reading.
My early puppy training guide - see posts:
http://www.dobermantalk.com/puppy-corner/68153-feisty-bugger.html
A good training website resource:
www.leerberg.com

·
joie de vivre
11,272 Posts
Welcome from Missouri! Cute pup.

I'd contact some show breeders in your area and ask who they take their litters to for cropping.

Reactions: abk1220
1 - 16 of 16 Posts