Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!
I am new to the forum and need some important advice if you all dont mind:). Unfortunately I am newly divorced, now living in a town home with no pets. I have been researching the breed for over a year through online reading and 4 books. I am very confident and have concluded that this breed is definately for me but have never owned one. I have owned 3 Pit bulls in the past and do have dog training experience. Please view my current life situation below for specifics:
- Work day is 9-5, M-F, returning home at 5:30.
- No yard, but large community housing development
- Living alone most of the week.
-Two children--8 and 5 years old, that I have overnights every other weekend and once during the week.
-Besides my work day, I would spend every waking minute with the dog.

That being said, please let me know thoughts and or suggestions for owning this breed. Please be honest. Thank you so very much and look forward to hearing some feedback.:)

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts
Minus the kids it sounds like my lifestyle.... And change the hours around a bit (7-4)

I have to ask if you rent, or are under an HOA (you didn't say) Do they have breed restrictions?

·
Nub Enthusiast
392 Posts
I can't offer much advice on the housing situation or work situation. But a Dobe will be good with kids and a very good companion if you're feeling lonely post-divorce. Hopefully someone else we be able to offer more help.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do rent but it is acceptable. My only concern is the guilt of leaving the dog during the day. With all the reading I have done it seems to be frowned upon by most if people actually work a normal work day, considering the social needs. But wouldnt my lifestyle be so much better to this dog, especially if I adopt or rescue?

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts
I work a full day, I've never had a problem (and I foster)... I come home, and normally spend the rest of the day with the dogs doing something, but then some days we don't do anything, and the dogs are fine with that

If you got a puppy it would be harder, because you would have to take them out more often then an adult dog...

Kudos to you for considering adopting :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey! Maya is my first "official" dog (since my father didn't want me to keep dogs I got when I was younger).

But let me tell you that dobermans are fantastic. A lot of people I know have pitbulls, and while they are very fine dogs, I chose to get a doberman for the slender look and the way they get to be so close with you.

I'm going to the dog park regularly, and I've heard nothing but wonderful feedback from owners of other breeds there. Never heard of a doberman attacking another dog or showing aggressivity.

All the ones I saw (around 10) since I got Maya, so in the last 2 months, were very kind and sometimes a bit shy (seems it's in their nature) but always playful!

I've heard from other doberman owners how they have no problem letting the dog home while they were working, wether in a cage or free in the house, depending.

Also, Dobes are very smart. You have background with dogs, she's my first real dog, and she's very disciplined, and respond fast to commands.

So you'd have no real difficulties training a dobe.

If I could only show you how much I'm in love with Maya right now, and how I'm grateful everyday for her presence in my life, I'd give you the final kick to become the proud owner of a Doberman ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so much for that. Its getting more tempting with time and the committment does not bother me at all. I appreciate the post:)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yeah, and since you just got out of a divorce, let me tell you how much a doberman takes space in your life! They give and take a lot of love and attention:p

And maybe a dobe would help when you'll pick your next wife! Because they are picky dogs sometimes!

;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have heard so many people say that it is cruel to leave the dog home all day but I just dont agree with that. The fact is that most people need to work. I seem to talk myself out of the idea sometimes. Time will tell:)

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Most people need to work, yes, but then most people don't NEED a dog. I am glad at least that you are considering an Adult (rescue, perhaps) rather than a puppy.

Dogs take time and commitment, you should think about how you'd feel cooped up for 8 hours a day (not including travel) without any social interaction. If you crate train (which is highly suggested as Dobermanns tend to get into absolutely everything they shouldn't and could die as a result within a short space of time...) that's 8+ hours without a pee break or time to run and play and be a dog. Unless you are able to afford a dog walker, day care or can have someone come home to let the dog out to break up his/her day for 30-60 minutes around lunchtime, I personally feel that getting a dog in these situations can be down right selfish :(

As people, we want this or that and we want it now, but what about what a dog needs? Socialization, attention, affection...They're not decorative pieces for your home, but living sentient creatures.

I am lucky enough to live less than 2 miles from my University which is where I not only study, but also work part time. I have shifts arranged around my scheduled classes, but can easily afford a couple of 30-60 minute breaks throughout the day to make it home to let my dogs out for a run/toilet break and do some playtime or training with them. I do have the odd day where I can't make it home in time (I have a rule that my dogs are not left for more than 4 hours at a time), then I have measures in place and back up measures to make sure they get a break and expend some energy. I am also lucky that my dogs are pretty low-key (as low key as Pomeranians can be, I think!), not a high-energy working breed like the Dobermann.

I have several friends with large, high energy dogs who work full time, and the ones who have the happiest dogs seem to be the ones who make the effort to get home at lunch or hire a dog-walker/day care for their pets and also actively participate in several evenings a week of training/classes :)

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Go for a shelter, rescue doberman you will not regret it.....maybe you will find people in your neighborhood who can walk your dog for you while you're at work. That's what I do for my friend that works 12 hour shifts....:)

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Go for a shelter, rescue doberman you will not regret it.....maybe you will find people in your neighborhood who can walk your dog for you while you're at work. That's what I do for my friend that works 12 hour shifts....:)
Rescues are wonderful, just make sure it's a great rescue that can make sure the dog is suitable to live in a home with children. not all dogs (of any breed) do well with kids. Thankfully many do also :)

Unfortunately for me, I have to work and have worked since I've had dogs. So far no dog has suffered. I get up an hour early and stay up an hour late with new puppies. If I can't come home at lunch, someone comes by to let them out or I use my kennels that hubby built (haven't always had them). It is very doable to give a dog the attention they need AND work a full time job. It may mean sacrificing other things, but it's doable. I have 3 high energy dogs and both hubby and I work fulltime.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts