Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I have been googling all things dobermans for the past couple of weeks and it all comes back to this site. I love reading it and following the forums so i figured why not join and just ask you guys my questions. I have plenty-
So my babies name is Jemma, she is blue and born on 11/8/13. I got her from someone on craigslist and she looked like she was in pretty poor shape. After 3 weeks with me she is putting on weight VERY fast and becoming very bubbly and coming out of her shell. My first question is about her fur. I hear its very likely for her to loose fur? Any info on this will help?! What good to wash her with? (She tends to step in her poo and need lots of baths) When is too early to start training?
I see people say they are velcro dogs- but she is super attached to my other dogs. How can i break her of this?
Also, i have all tiles in my house. If i put her down her legs kind of sprawl out flat on the floor.. is it the tile or her legs? Also her back legs seem weak- any ideas on strengthening them?
Crate training tips will help also, she screams bloody murder if i leave her alone without my other dogs.
Im sure that not all of my questions but any info will help. Thank you in advance. :):nicejob:

·
Registered
6,681 Posts
is she a blue or a fawn? what makes you think her fur is going to fall out?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
It is true that close to 90% of blue Dobermans will suffer from CDA, color dilution alopecia.

So from her date of birth that you mention, she is about 14 months old.

From what I have read, most blues don't start to lose fur until about 2 to 3 years old, although it can happen at a much younger age.

I have a blue girl and she started losing fur on her back when she was just under a year old.

She is 28 months old now and she has lost most of the fur on her back.

She is not totally bald, but what bit is there is very fine.

Most people that meet her don't notice the hair loss because of her skin color.

She still has plenty of fur on her head and chest although what is there is not as thick as it would be on a Black and Tan Doberman.

Would love to see more pictures of your girl.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Did you mean 2014? Because that photo you posted looks like a young puppy... not an adult.

Also why is she stepping in her own poo? Is she kept in a crate and she poos in it..? Or are you not picking it up outside? I ask because every dobe I've met has been SUPER clean. Our boy won't even step in puddles and certainly would never step in poo voluntarily.

Instead of trying to 'break' her bond with your other dogs, why don't you try building a bond with her? Play games that build a connection, do lots of fun training and just generally do things together. That's the only way to get the dog to want to be around you. She hangs around your other dogs because they are fun.

If her back legs are weak you need to get her to a veterinarian. It could be a variety of issues, including issues with her neck or spine. Dobermans are naturally very muscular, and I'd say the thighs are probably one the strongest muscle groups. They should not be weak.

Positive renforcment training should have started from the first day you brought her home. So you can start whenever! Do not put a choke, prong, or electric collar on your puppy until she is much, much older, and until you have guidance from a professtional. (Not saying you were going to, but just incase you were considering it).

The best way to train is to reward the behaviors you want. Put half her breakfast in your pocket. See her laying on her bed being good? Treat and praise. See her potty outside? Treat and praise. See her wait before charging out the door? Treat and praise. See her potty on the floor? Ignore it it's your fault! (Seriously lol)

Dogmantics.com <----- excellent training videos.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Was she born 11/8/14? By her picture she looks like she is about 3-3.5 months. You can absolutely start training now. This is the best time and remember anything you don't want an adult dog to do in the future don't allow them to do as puppies. :)

Early training and socialization is the best thing you can do for bonding and building a relationship with her.

Has she been to a vet yet? Start her shots and then it would be great if you could get her into a training class.

She is adorable!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I just looked back at your original post and realized your baby is only 11 weeks old!

You won't know at this stage whether she will lose fur or not. My girl had gorgeous fur at this age, but again, it was not as thick as another color Doberman.

I have read where pups as young as yours lost fur at 10 weeks or so, but I don't think it is the norm.

Not sure if you are asking for what to wash her with because of her fur, or the fact that she steps in poo. Lol.

There isn't, to my knowledge, anything to wash them with that will stop fur loss. My girl does not get regular baths.

It is not too early to start training now. She needs the basics and learning the rules of the home. Also, she is reaching a critical window for socialization. I doubt the person you got her from, socialized the pup at all.

Her legs, from your description, appear to be very weak. I have all tile floors as well and my girl never did what you describe.

If you haven't already, this pup needs to be vet checked. They should be able to tell how her legs are.

From what I have read, a lot of backyard breeders keep their pups in cement kennels and this can cause weakening of the legs. Some pups will knuckle over in their front legs. Their legs will look bowed.

As far as breaking her attachment from your other dogs, you can limit her time with them. You need to bond with her and let her know that it's lots of "fun" to be with you. Walk her separately etc.

For crate training, you can use the search function on this forum. There are lots of crate games you can play with her to get her used to her crate.

Good luck with your girl!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I meant 14 sorry about that! She's had her first 2 sets of shots, when I got her she had roundworms and wasnt being take care of properly so I think that is why her legs are weak. Plus the tile do not help her. I was nervous about the wobblers syndrome but I think she just needs some tlc and some good runs in the park. I was attempting to crate train but she would poo in there then step in it and it would get all over the sides on the cage and outside. The crate is xl so it is big enough for her but I haven't been putting her in there. Little by little she is wanting to spend more time with us people but her absolute best friend is my 3 month old Jack Russell mix. I want to take her to the park and out and about but I have to wait until her shots are done.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you! And yes it was a question about a good shampoo lol I got an oatmeal aloe shampoo haven't used it yet. She learned sit and paw and now she loves to paw everything. They definetly did not socialize her at all and her littler mate looked worse then she did. I'm happy to have her and hoping for the best with her fur. She has a cowlick going down her shoulder blades also which is super cute but iv never seen anything like it before. I don't mind that she loves my other dogs I was just curious about it and I am waiting on her last set of shots to start socializing. Hopefully it won't be too late.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We have two puppies but not littermates. Jax is a month older. They play a lot together but Jax pays more attention to us then Jem does. But she is younger and we haven't had her as long

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
We have two puppies but not littermates. Jax is a month older. They play a lot together but Jax pays more attention to us then Jem does. But she is younger and we haven't had her as long

It doesn't matter that they are not actual litter mates. Two puppies that close in age is basically the same thing.

Please do as Mommyblaze suggested and read up on it.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Littermate syndrom is when two dogs who are close in age (less than 1 year apart) are raised together. They are competing for attention, you time, and your guidance. When this happens, 1 dog often falls behind. Behind in training, socialization, and it can cause serious behavior issues.

There was a study where two perfect candidates for seeing eye dogs where raised together. They both came from from long lines of successful guide dogs, and were from different litters. They were raised together, and as they ages, one began to develop issues in temperment. The dog no longer had the temperament of a service dog, and did not learn as quickly. The other pup went on to graduate as a service eye dog, while the other didn't - even though they were both perfect candidates as puppies.

·
Registered
979 Posts
The pooping in the crate is because your crate is too big for her at this age. If you use a divider at this age to make the crate smaller this will help stop her from pooping in the crate. And of course she should be taken out a lot at this age to use the potty.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Most puppies whine when they're in their crates at that age but you need to stay consistent. Make it a game of cage=treats... I put a blanket over Gretchen's cage so that it's nice and dark and she's not being stimulated by outside sources. It wasn't until G. was about 7 mo. that she was allowed to sleep outside of her cage because I didn't fully trust that she was house trained, although she had been for about 4 mo. The more freedom you give a puppy (or puppies) at that age the more likely they can develop bad habits and slower potty training. Keep a constant eye on them.

Dobies are a little slower to mature, having another dog around the same age doesn't help, so be patient with her, it may take her more time to catch onto things. Once they do start catching on though, watch out because the skies the limit with their intelligence!

Good luck!

·
Extraordimary
4,936 Posts
Littermate syndrom is when two dogs who are close in age (less than 1 year apart) are raised together. They are competing for attention, you time, and your guidance. When this happens, 1 dog often falls behind. Behind in training, socialization, and it can cause serious behavior issues.
And as the OP is seeing, they tend to bond more to each other than to the owners.

It does sound like her crate is too big, but also if she came from a bad situation, she may just be used to being a dirty dog whereas puppies from breeders that keep them scrupulously clean tend to be more aware of avoiding accidents that have happened.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great info thank you! I have never heard of littermate syndrome and I am definetly going to look into it. I actually have a whole pack not just the 2 puppies but it was like one is my fiancées and one is mine. But I'm going to look into this for sure.
I do have a divider for the crate and I will try that. She has learned her name and seems eager to please and she does pretty well at night. I feel like her coming from someone's dirty backyard with barely any socialization has had a negative affect on her already which is sad but she gets better every day

1 - 18 of 18 Posts