Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

We are about to get a white doberman pup from the rescue shelter. He isnt old enough yet so we are still waiting.

I was wondering if there is any input anyone would like to give us. We are a family of 2 and we have 0 dog experience.

We are wondering if the white dobermans have more health problems than other dobermans. Also, are there any specific questions I should be asking the shelter about this pup?

Thank you all in advance.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
I have no experience with albinos but here's some info from the DCPA. A few members have rescued an albino dobe so they might provide more info.

We know that these dogs are photophobic, (sensitive to sun light). They have vision problems resulting from abnormal development of the retina.
They are prone to skin cancer and skin lesions. Due to the lack of pigment, they are extremely susceptible to skin damage from the sun.
Poor temperament is a significant concern. Due to the intense inbreeding to obtain the mutation, the temperaments on a great many are totally unstable. These problems range from fear biting to outright vicious attacks. Shyness is prevalent. Most are not suitable for homes with small children. Yes, there are exceptions, but hardly enough to make them acceptable to most families.
source: DPCA | The Doberman | Albino | What is albino

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,447 Posts
White dobermans are albinos and, as such, they have health problems specific to the white doberman--sensitivity to light (they usually do not like bright sunlight and squint uncomfortably out in the sun) and a tendency to skin cancer and other cancers. They will sunburn and may need sunscreen to help protect their tender skin. Because the folks who are breeding them are often out to make a quick buck, and breed without following the proper standards, and because they have been inbred to fix the albino trait, they often display poor conformation and often have unstable temperaments.

I don't know what to tell you, because I do believe that every dog in need deserves a home, but because you are beginning dog owners (even typical dobes can be a challenge for beginners) I would recommend strongly that you please, please do lots of research (don't just look on sites that are pro-albino because they can be very misleading) and do some serious heart and soul searching about whether this is the dog for you.

My heart goes out to that little white puppy, but if you are not able or willing to take care of what may prove to be a very difficult dog to care for, both physically and temperamentally, you should pass the little pup by and leave him to be picked out by another person who is more experienced than you.

I'm sorry to be a deliverer of what I imagine will be bad news for you--but I want to be sure that you go into this very well informed--overestimating your ability to care for this dog and choosing him because you think he's unusual could prove a costly mistake for both you and the dog.

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
Is this pup coming from a shelter or an actual Doberman rescue? If you have zero dog experience, please surf this forum and do some reading on the good and the bad. Dobermans are not generally recommended for novice dog owners unless you are pretty dog savvy and well-versed in working breeds. I'd actually recommend fostering adult Dobermans before you dive into Doberman ownership.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
You have been given some good information here, please take it to heart. You also need to realize that Dobermans in general, even carefully, well bred Dobes are very prone to health problems. Roughly 50% of all Dobermans will develop DCM (heart issues), in addition they can and often do have many other health issues.

Your best bet is to get on the DPCA (Doberman Pinscher Club of America) website (www.dpca.org) and thoroughly read over the health section, as well as the section regarding albinos. This can be a very expensive breed to own and you may want to take that into consideration, as well.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to come here and ask. Welcome to DT and the best of luck with your new addition.

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
Albinos can be quite quirky (but so can all dobes :) ) They tend to have poor vision and some can be jumpy or reactive because of that. I loved my albino guy sadly he had cancer in his kidneys and intestines and passed away a little over a year after I adopted him.
If you adopt the little guy make sure to enroll in puppy and obedience classes to teach the pup and yourselves how to raise him into a stable confident dog. The only difference with albinos is you do need to limit outside time even with sunscreen to protect the skin the bright light does hurt their eyes.

Illinois Doberman Rescue Plus currently has 4 albinos up for adoption and the 2 I have met personally Aries and Danny are really nice dogs

·
Super Moderator
22,000 Posts
Wow, thank you for all the advice. We will definitely pass on our little friend. Seems all of you are worried.

We are still going to get a doberman puppy for sure. We have our mind set, but will be looking for a regular doberman this time.

Thanks everyone.
I think you made a difficult choice, but ultimately it's for the best.

I strongly, strongly encourage you to either work with a great, reputable Doberman specific rescue for a pup, or find a very ethical breeder. The good folks here on DT can help you find either of those and you won't regret it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Our second dobe is a white female. She's been wonderful, but we did realize that when we got her, she may have more health issues than what is typical of the breed. She was a rescue for us as well, and we've been lucky that she's such a doll. But we definitely don't leave her outside very long, and we take our walks in te evenings when the suns nearly set. I agree about really reading up on them before commuting to care for them, and like someone else said, you really can't believe a thing on pro-white websites, they are very misleading and rarely factual.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Wow, that definately would have been jumping into the deep end of the pool !! From no Dog experience to a Dobermann can be a trial in itself. BUT to add a Albino into the mix WOWSA :boxing8:

Im glad you changed your mind, but at the same time sorry for the poor little thing. I just hope they make sure he never has a chance to pass on his genes and he finds a good home with an experienced person.

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
Why don't you tell us your area and we can help guide you towards a reputable breeder (or rescue!)? :)

Good luck on your search!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That would be great!

We are in the South Florida area. East Coast.

We arent really looking for a breeder tho when there is too many dogs looking to be saved. We have a very close friend in the shelter that is highly educated and has been doing this for all her life. We arent in a rush so we were just waiting till she ran across a dobe.

We are a young couple and we have a lot of love to show our new family member.

·
Registered
771 Posts
If you are not looking for a breeder there are a few rescue organizations out there specific to Dobermans. Dobermans can be difficult for new dog owners so be sure that you are completely ready for this challenge; yes, at some times it will be a challenge.

The only one I know of is Doberman Assistance Rescue and Education (DAR&E), but they are more VA and Maryland. I am sure there is one somewhere by you, someone on this forum should be able to help you locate them.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Doberman Talk!!!

Bless you for wanting to Adopt and not shop for a Dobie!!

good luck with your research and search for just the right dog for you!

Hugz to you and yours!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Are talking about a fawn doberman here? To be albino, it would have to have red eyes. I've never seen an Albino doberman before.

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
Are talking about a fawn doberman here? To be albino, it would have to have red eyes. I've never seen an Albino doberman before.
Albino dobes actually have blue eyes and sadly are quite common in the US
I don't have many pictures of Rogan with his eyes open as sunlight and the camera flash hurt his eyes

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
try doberman rescue alliance in florida ............ great great rescue

Reactions: Lebamtay51
1 - 20 of 24 Posts