Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
521 Posts
I don't think I'd want a backer for that reason

I sure would want to have a say in who MY DOG was being breed to.I'd rather pull my dog for a while. I'd would look for a handler.
Blackdog said:
Ditto here. When I got divorced, I had to pull my boy from the specials ring. There's no way I'd ever take a backer and lose control of who my dog is bred to, and that seems to be the way most backers recoup their investment.

· Registered
521 Posts
No Way!!!

I don't like that idea at all. Very interesting. I would like to choose who my dog was breed to. If I didn't think it would be a good match (breeding) I'd like the freedom to say yes or no. He/She is MY DOG!!!! I think I would show my dog or go with a handler.
Murreydobe said:
See, that's the thing. Once you take on a backer it's no longer just YOUR dog..and money talks in terms of who calls the shots about breeding..that's usually an integral part of any contract involving a backer. Just wouldn't be worth it to me.

· Registered
521 Posts
Got It Now

Thanks Murrey!!!! I'm learning the doberman world. It sure isn't like the Lab world that for sure. Thanks Again!!!
Murreydobe said:
At a *minimum*, it's going to cost $25,000-30,000 a year to special a doberman. And that's with little to no advertising being done on the dog at all...some of these dogs wind up costing backers $100,000+ every year.

Handlers don't show dogs for free..and their special is the income they count on month after month..that's the fixed income, whereas class dogs (dogs that are working towards their championships) come and go. So no, there just aren't that many handlers that don't use backers for their specials-if they do, it's almost always because they bred/own the dog themselves...and even then, they'll try to bring a backer in so they get paid to show the dog.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.