Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all meet Ayla I'm in a New dog owner wanted to ask for some tips and tricks you guys use with your new pups to make sure they are set up for success she had been such a great puppy so far not having hardly any accidents in the house with no puppy pads!! It's now 8 weeks of age and just got get ears done today for a medium narrow crop

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,768 Posts

·
Big Lil pup
6,592 Posts
Hi AD. Welcome to you and Aya from the Pacific NW.

What a cute girl.

Looks like you're going to have your hands full for a while! Before you start posting her ears, come on and study the discussions on ear cropping and posting in the Puppy Corner forum here on DT.

These two links to a couple of very good posts by member greenkouki will give you a place to start:

John Lichtwardt
PortlandOR

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much!! We are up here in Washington State update on the pup she is doing phenomenal I was having a hard time getting into my account but we are back she has had minimal accidents in the house... she is chewing everything lol but so far so good it helps a lot that I work from home so I can watch her like a hawk if I need to!! I found most of my questions answered with the forums posted! I guess it's important to take a deeper look into the forums to find my answers thank you all so far for the warm welcoming. SticHes are coming out tomorrow and the posting will hopefully begin as long as the vet gives the OK.

She's a cutie pie! Welcome to DT from Colorado!

I'm not sure where to start, though--do you have any particular things you'd like to know about?

Here are some suggestions from an old thread:
If you could only give 1 piece of Puppy advice... | Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums (dobermantalk.com)

To my mind, I would focus on socialization.
This thread may give you soe ideas:
(2) Resources for Puppy Socialization | Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums (dobermantalk.com)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: Ayla just got her ear stiches out here's how they look they just wanted to see if they look normal the vet wanted to post them uo again like she had when the little cup was on her head but I decided against it I told them I'd wait till the stiches healed before I started posting and she wasn't too happy with that hahaha but nonetheless wanted to see input
and thoughts on her ears

·
Super Moderator
26,768 Posts
It looks like they are healing up OK. Good job fending off the vet--you definitely need to wait until there are no more open areas along the ear edges, and all the scabs are gone--only pink healthy skin--before you can post. That will probably take another week to 10 days.

We have a tutorial about how to post ears--we very strongly encourage you to learn how to do it yourself. Vets aren't always too good at posting; when you think about it, it isn't really a veterinary process at all. You can start assembling your materials now.

How to: Posting Show Cropped Ears Using Backer Rod | Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums (dobermantalk.com)

Be sure to keep us updated and ask any questions you want (not just about posting, you know)--posting is a fiddly process at first, but you'll get the hang of it fairly soon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It looks like they are healing up OK. Good job fending off the vet--you definitely need to wait until there are no more open areas along the ear edges, and all the scabs are gone--only pink healthy skin--before you can post. That will probably take another week to 10 days.

We have a tutorial about how to post ears--we very strongly encourage you to learn how to do it yourself. Vets aren't always too good at posting; when you think about it, it isn't really a veterinary process at all. You can start assembling your materials now.

How to: Posting Show Cropped Ears Using Backer Rod | Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums (dobermantalk.com)

Be sure to keep us updated and ask any questions you want (not just about posting, you know)--posting is a fiddly process at first, but you'll get the hang of it fairly soon.
Thank you much!! So far she is doing great im going to wait till her ears are fully healed she is dealing great with it so far... the vet was honestly kind of rude when I told her not to continue posting the ears haha but I trusted my gut and what I have read on the forum!! once again I appreciate all the help. Such a phenomenal and supportive group!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Aww. She’s cute! I can’t wait to see her ears standing. I’ve not heard of medium “narrow” cut. Anxious to see what it looks like.
Welcome & congrats on your pup! Keep sending pics. We like pics!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey guys update on the puppy she is almost 12 weeks now and we have began posting as of two days ago!! Been having a really hard time getting the posts to stay in especially over night she keeps ripping them out from tossing and turning was wondering what tips you guys might have here is a picture of her with her posts on and off... she did have some light blood on one of her ears was not sure why but im going to check it out here soon. Also was wondering if I should put a bridge or not...

·
Super Moderator
26,768 Posts
Looks like you folks are making progress--she's precious. If you look at the last post on our tutorial, there are a few hints for taping the ears so they will stay in the bottom of the ear more securely.

(4) How to: Posting Show Cropped Ears Using Backer Rod | Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums (dobermantalk.com)

You need to figure out where the blood is coming from (are you sure it's not dark brown ear wax at the bottom of the post?) Any oozy or bleeding areas of the ear need to heal completely before you can continue posting. That may be part of the reason why she's fussing with her posts.

But generally if a puppy is fussing with her ears a bit, it means that the posts are a little lose in her ears. DON'T tape more tightly thinking that will help--it won't and it's dangerous to the health of the ears.

Instead, when you put the posts in, twist them back and forth a little as you put them in. Don't be afraid to push them in snuggly--the ear canal takes a bend at its bottom toward the head, so you really can't get the post in dangerously deep. With young puppies, sometimes you need to use a smaller diameter backer rod to get it snuggly into the ear canal--3/8" instead of 1/2" (then move up to the larger diameter as she grows.)

Stretch her ears up and stick them to the post--don't let go, but start your taping right away (read the procedure in the last post of the above thread. You'll start with the first couple pieces of tape slanting down as far as you can get them on the bottom of the post, come around the ear and finish with the ends of the tape slanting down in the same way.) You should just be laying the tape on relatively loosely and then scrunching it together to stick to itself and her ears.

·
Registered
47 Posts

I have had different Vets suggest different ways and both work. (posted right away and posted after healing)

Depends on the age, the ears (cartilage / the ear evaluation), and sometimes what the Vet thinks about the owners potential skill level with posting.

The Vet in this case might have had a reason for wanting those ears up so soon. I personally see no downside (having done ears multiple times both ways) if an owner is willing to do the work to check them daily and keep things clean while they are healing. Keeping them clean while the healing is taking place takes a little more work if posting at the same time but you get a jump on the posting process.

Pros and cons both ways - It just depends. :)

·
Super Moderator
26,768 Posts
Some vets will put the ears up on a cup; some let them dangle. Both ways work--but the important thing is that there is NO tape across the cut edges. They need to be open to the air. Running tape across an open wound is just asking for an infection.

·
Super Moderator
22,190 Posts
Everything Mel said!

·
Premium Member
8,388 Posts
Yep, with any open wound care... keeping the wound dry and exposed to air is best.
If a open wound of any type is covered it holds in moisture and becomes a breeding ground for infections.
Cute pupper!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks like you folks are making progress--she's precious. If you look at the last post on our tutorial, there are a few hints for taping the ears so they will stay in the bottom of the ear more securely.

(4) How to: Posting Show Cropped Ears Using Backer Rod | Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums (dobermantalk.com)

You need to figure out where the blood is coming from (are you sure it's not dark brown ear wax at the bottom of the post?) Any oozy or bleeding areas of the ear need to heal completely before you can continue posting. That may be part of the reason why she's fussing with her posts.

But generally if a puppy is fussing with her ears a bit, it means that the posts are a little lose in her ears. DON'T tape more tightly thinking that will help--it won't and it's dangerous to the health of the ears.

Instead, when you put the posts in, twist them back and forth a little as you put them in. Don't be afraid to push them in snuggly--the ear canal takes a bend at its bottom toward the head, so you really can't get the post in dangerously deep. With young puppies, sometimes you need to use a smaller diameter backer rod to get it snuggly into the ear canal--3/8" instead of 1/2" (then move up to the larger diameter as she grows.)

Stretch her ears up and stick them to the post--don't let go, but start your taping right away (read the procedure in the last post of the above thread. You'll start with the first couple pieces of tape slanting down as far as you can get them on the bottom of the post, come around the ear and finish with the ends of the tape slanting down in the same way.) You should just be laying the tape on relatively loosely and then scrunching it together to stick to itself and her ears.
Thank you for the very detailed tips I did use these tips and the posts have now been successfully on for over 24 hours she didn't knock them off over night I bought her a little inflatable "cone" that I put on her for bed or when she's in her kennel (when she doesn't have supervision) so she doesn't knock them or scratch at them when someone isn't there to tell her no! She's been really good about it and I can now see that it's when the post is loose that she try really hard to get them off I can tell it probably tickles her ear!!! She's been great now about to replace the posts this Is her today! Her 4th day posting

·
Super Moderator
26,768 Posts
They're looking REALLY nice.

Puppy is too 🙂

You might want to put a bumper in her right ear--see how it is leaning in a bit? Or it could just be that the backer rod--this time--had a little curve to it. Make sure you get it straight when you put on the duct tape to stiffen it (before you back wrap with the coaches tape sticky side out.)

AND--if you're going to do that, go ahead and put a bumper in the other ear too, just for the heck of it. There is an explanation of that process in the posting tutorial I linked.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They're looking REALLY nice.

Puppy is too 🙂

You might want to put a bumper in her right ear--see how it is leaning in a bit? Or it could just be that the backer rod--this time--had a little curve to it. Make sure you get it straight when you put on the duct tape to stiffen it (before you back wrap with the coaches tape sticky side out.)

AND--if you're going to do that, go ahead and put a bumper in the other ear too, just for the heck of it. There is an explanation of that process in the posting tutorial I linked.
Thank you I have added bumpers to the posts for now! Was curious what style tape you guys have I can't find zonas anywhere and I'm running out of the tape the vet had sold to me they gave me curaid performance series tape that they had there for ear posting was curious if there is anything I should be aware when buying this tape? I've seen a few on Amazon but want to make sure I purchase a good one that won't cause damage or something? Sorry if it's a dumb question

·
Super Moderator
26,768 Posts
Johnsons and Johnsons coaches (or athletic or sport) tape is basically the same thing as Zonas tape, but available at places like Walmart.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts