Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to this forum, but a long time doberman owner. I've always owned dobies and recently got a new red female dobie puppy. We are currently leash training her and we also have a tether in our yard for her. Here is my problem: when I let her off her tether to bring her inside, she usually takes off. Sometimes when I call her back, she'll come and follow me inside, other times, she'll bait me, then run, stop, bait me to come close and run. It'll last forever until I actually catch her. Now I don't mind doing this, until she learns that running away isn't acceptable, the problem I have is when I do catch her, she yelps so loud and violently that it sounds like she is being beaten! I've never ever hurt her in the process of catching her, I'm not rough or anything. I simply herd her to an area I can catch up to her and pick her up. But she is so dramatic and yelps so extremely loud. Now I am sure that by the sound she makes, if anyone is around they think I'm harming her, but I assure you, I am in no way harming her. I've never had a Dobie do this before! So here is my question, One: Why does she do the yelping? Two: How do I teach her this behavior is not acceptable? She is about 20lbs and almost 12 weeks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When she does come when called, I do give her a treat and reward her. So when she runs away, I'll get down on my knees, use my baby voice, call her and show her I have a treat. You can tell she is contemplating whether to come or take off. I spend more time calling her than giving in to chase with her. I don't want her to think this is a game....probably to late though. I've tried just picking her up and taking her straight inside, but she's going to get too big in no time and I won't be able to pick up. Plus she has to learn to come when called regardless. I've also tried ignore her and just walking to the door and acting like I'm going to leave her outside. That worked once or twice and she caught on that I won't actually leave her. I've also tried taking her from the tether and putting her on a leash and taking her inside on a leash, but then she'll just sit and not move. And honestly, I can get a hold on the chasing and whatnot, it's the yelping I don't understand? Am I scaring her?

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
When you say "come" are you being positive? One thing we learned at our training club is to always be positive when using the come command, even if the pup is running away or being an annoying brat! The whole point of come is for the dog to think that you are way more fun than running somewhere else! Always use a happy upbeat voice. Make yourself appealing with kissy noises, slapping your thighs, getting down low to the ground, saying the high pitched "PUPPUPPUPPUPPUP". If she won't come, turn around and RUN the other way! Puppies love chase! She will come right after you. Then praise praise praise for her coming to you.

Honestly at 12 weeks I was still picking my pup up and carrying him. He was like your pup, was still not liking the whole leash thing at that age. His recall wasn't very reliable and it took some time for him to get it. We played a lot of 'come focused' games to help as well. I'll give you some ideas if you'd like! Now at 18 weeks, he loves running to me when called. He thinks I am the funniest thing ever ;D

As far as yelping, I have no idea. She might be scared or unsure of what's happening.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do the baby voice when asking her to come and the kissy sound as well. I also get down on my knees to seem nonthreatening. I have not tried the running away thing though, I will try that for sure. Thank you! When she is in the "mood" she'll come no problem, but others, she just plays the "bait and run" game.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I do the baby voice when asking her to come and the kissy sound as well. I also get down on my knees to seem nonthreatening. I have not tried the running away thing though, I will try that for sure. Thank you! When she is in the "mood" she'll come no problem, but others, she just plays the "bait and run" game.
She's a baby, and thinks you're playing. If she runs, run the other way. It works :)

Stay patient and always positive! She will get it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
NEVER give a command you can't reinforce when a dog is learning, especially a puppy who is clueless to rules and has no impulse control. Join a puppy class and teach her the commands on leash first. Then, when she learns what is expected of her, respects you as a leader, and is reliable in performing commands around distractions- THEN start the off leash stuff. Right now all she is learning that she doesn't have to come when called because you are giving her the option to come or not, not to mention she has no idea what the command means yet- we have to teach them the language through consistency and repitition.

Good luck!! Dobes are tons of fun!

·
Registered
25 Posts
She's a baby, and thinks you're playing. If she runs, run the other way. It works :)

Stay patient and always positive! She will get it.
bigfootlives is correct- one of the best ways to get a puppy to move toward you is moving the OTHER way (I typically back away from them quickly while using a happy tone in my voice)- they love chase! Making training fun is the best way for them to learn and perform quickly.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
NEVER give a command you can't reinforce when a dog is learning, especially a puppy who is clueless to rules and has no impulse control. Join a puppy class and teach her the commands on leash first. Then, when she learns what is expected of her, respects you as a leader, and is reliable in performing commands around distractions- THEN start the off leash stuff. Right now all she is learning that she doesn't have to come when called because you are giving her the option to come or not, not to mention she has no idea what the command means yet- we have to teach them the language through consistency and repitition.

Good luck!! Dobes are tons of fun!
This.

I would NOT be letting her practice "keep away."

It's a super fun game for pups that can get them hurt or killed or lost someday.

Is your yard fenced?

If not, you are taking a tremendous risk, unhooking her and having to chase her.

I would simply leash her up straight from the tether, hold a treat out to lure a step, praise, get moving, have fun with it, teach her coming along with you while on leash is what is wanted and required, and it's FUN to make the right choice.

And ditto on puppy class. You can begin practicing your recall with more guidance and safety, in that setting.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hello, I'm new to this forum, but a long time doberman owner. I've always owned dobies and recently got a new red female dobie puppy. We are currently leash training her and we also have a tether in our yard for her. Here is my problem: when I let her off her tether to bring her inside, she usually takes off. Sometimes when I call her back, she'll come and follow me inside, other times, she'll bait me, then run, stop, bait me to come close and run. It'll last forever until I actually catch her. Now I don't mind doing this, until she learns that running away isn't acceptable, the problem I have is when I do catch her, she yelps so loud and violently that it sounds like she is being beaten! I've never ever hurt her in the process of catching her, I'm not rough or anything. I simply herd her to an area I can catch up to her and pick her up. But she is so dramatic and yelps so extremely loud. Now I am sure that by the sound she makes, if anyone is around they think I'm harming her, but I assure you, I am in no way harming her. I've never had a Dobie do this before! So here is my question, One: Why does she do the yelping? Two: How do I teach her this behavior is not acceptable? She is about 20lbs and almost 12 weeks.
Great advice from the other members. Plus if it is still a problem what I would do is bring her lead out and snap it to her collar BEFORE taking her off of her tether. Then she is secured and you don't have to worry about her taking off. Even though my 11 week old comes when called I still keep her on her lead when bringing her to the backyard for playtime-once we are there and safely inside the gate, I will let her go. Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts