Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got our first Doberman puppy. My husband and I both have some experience with adults but the puppy is a first for both of us. Reese Cup is a male, 14 weeks old. He is going to be neutered at 6 months. We couldn't be more pleased with him. I obtained an obedience trainer through my vet and Reese can already sit, stay, come, heel and shake. He does not do them everytime but he is getting better at them everyday. We just added down and off. He doesn't seem to like off very much! lol We have a few more weeks with this trainer and then I think we are going to enroll in puppy kindergarten to reenforce the commands he already knows and for more socalization. He's been to town for walks, parks and a dog show to get him around other dogs. In all situations he did very well. Reese does have one really bad habit and I need some advice in how to stop it. He likes to bark like crazy (sounds vicious) at me and if I don't respond he runs up and nips me. He seems to prefer the back of my legs. Nine times out of ten his butt is up the air in a play stance and 75% of the time I can tell him to get a toy and he will. We have 2 boys, 10 & 5. Our 10 year old is fascinated with the puppy and the breed and the trainer has included him in on everything. Justin loves to spend time working with Reese and Reese responds wonderfully to him. My 5 year old is a typical 5 year old and so all interaction between him and the puppy is with me in the room. Reese grabs at their clothes but that seems like normal puppy behavior. I'm sorry about the length of this but I sure would appreciate any advice any of you have.

Kim

·
Registered
89 Posts
"We just got our first Doberman puppy."

Congratulations!

"Reese does have one really bad habit and I need some advice in how to stop it. He likes to bark like crazy (sounds vicious) at me and if I don't respond he runs up and nips me."

A firm No! or Ugh Ugh! will help him get the idea this is unacceptable behavior. His nipping is a show of dominance and/or prey drive, which is not a bad thing. You just have to show him who the "pack leader" is, and that's you.

"My 5 year old is a typical 5 year old and so all interaction between him and the puppy is with me in the room."

Outstanding. Claws and teeth can hurt even when they're not meant to.

"I'm sorry about the length of this but I sure would appreciate any advice any of you have."

I highly recommend "Before and After Getting You New Puppy" by Dr. Ian Dunbar. Best $20 USD I've ever spent. You'll find the people who are active on this forum are highly knowledgable about dogs in general and Dobes in particular. Common questions such as what food to feed, housetraining, etc. have been discussed many times and the search function will give you most of the pertinant information you need. But don't hesitant to ask questions if you're confused.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your new "baby"!

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Congrats. and welcome to the forum.:)

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the advice. I think we'll be hitting the book store this weekend. Reese is a great puppy and with continued socalization, training and a lot of love I know he is going to be a wonderful friend.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Welcome to forum from me and the pack here in the U.K. and welcome to my world bcuz i to have not long had Mischa (or Mischief as we now call her).
First let me assure you that you are doing the right thing with early training,and with your little problem, some good stern NO'S will eventually get through and you will sort everything out and get what you want in an adult dobe.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I believe I recall Duchess really enjoying the barking at us thing...but only if she gets this notion that we could possibly play (indoors). She never would nip us though but she liked to run around...do play bows and then bark bark bark. She still gets in this mood sometimes...when she does we say "she has the crazies" the bark is loud and with low growls too...but she is only playing with us...but other than those moments she doesnt bark at us...Could you be mistaking this behavior as aggressive? If this is possibly what your dobe likes to do also...I'd reccommend just teaching him settle...:) and welcome and congrats on your first dobe!

·
Registered
880 Posts
TracyJo said:
Welcome to Dobermantalk!
As long as you're headed to the book store - check out the book "Culture Clash" by Jean Donaldson. It's a great book on behavior and training.
I love the name you chose and can't wait to see pictures of him! :)
Fantastic book!! One of the best (if not the best) dog books I have read!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I have a lot of reading to do! I very much appreciate everyone's advice. I've had dogs but this is my first Doberman and I want so much to do the right things with him and help him grow into the dog I know he can be. I'll get busy on the pictures. I know you will all love him!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts