Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I wanted to introduce myself. I am Todd. I live with my wife and 2 kids in Jacksonville Fl. I have had dogs all my life but this will be my first Doberman. Although I have been around them in the past.

I have my deposit in already on a Red Male that was born March 29th at a breeder in Georgia. So I guess I will be able to get him in June sometime. We'll see.

Looks like a great site. I look forward to learning alot from you all.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Hi Tod! Welcome to Doberman Talk. This site is a great source of information. Do you have pictures of your little boy yet? We LOVE pictures!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope to get some soon. I have seen pics of the Sire, Dam and the litter. But nothing that points out my new boy. I should be getting some soon. I will post them as soon as the breeder sends them.

I am loving all the pics on this site. I cant wait to contribute.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Welcome to DT. Can't wait to see the pics.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the welcomes.

I have a name in mind. I was thinking Thor since he is the Norse God of Thunder. And is, in his original form, a red haired God. And of course we are getting a red male so it fits. I do know someone named Thor through a friend of mine as well but that isn't why I picked the name.

But my daughter has a hard time saying the word Thor (she is 6) so we may pick something else.

I wanted to stay on the Greek, Norse, mythological theme. We'll see. I think my daughter came up with something much more traditional... I cant remember off the top of my head.....

·
Premium Member
8,880 Posts
Thanks for all the welcomes.

I have a name in mind. I was thinking Thor since he is the Norse God of Thunder. And is, in his original form, a red haired God. And of course we are getting a red male so it fits. I do know someone named Thor through a friend of mine as well but that isn't why I picked the name.

But my daughter has a hard time saying the word Thor (she is 6) so we may pick something else.

I wanted to stay on the Greek, Norse, mythological theme. We'll see. I think my daughter came up with something much more traditional... I cant remember off the top of my head.....
Sometimes you can find a name that goes with their registered name. I have not done that yet with mine as their registered names just did not lend themselves to a good call name.......... at least that I liked!

Is the breeder giving you a choice on the registered name? Sometimes they will have a list to choose from, but sometimes there is no choice. Of course, you can always call them whatever you want - the dog does not give a hoot what the registered name is :)

I will tell you that there are some very overused names in Dobermans and if you like them a lot then fine but don't be surprised to run into another one at the dog park.......... Thor is one of them as is Apollo, Zeus, Athena (a host of Greek and Roman Gods). Magnum........ and some other gun names.
In fact, it would be interesting to compile all the names of the Dobermans that come into rescue. I know that they are often changed to something else that is similar just because it gets too confusing to have dogs with the same name all the time.

Everyone has their favorite kinds of names for dogs. I go with names that are very old fashioned people names........ some of my ideas come from the names on the doors at a nursing home we visit with therapy dogs. Just make sure that whatever you choose is easy to say for training, and have fun!!

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Just make sure that whatever you choose is easy to say for training, and have fun!!
You always find nicknames for them too. :) I pick what I feel comfortable calling out. When I was way younger, we had a JRT that my siblings names Boner. Needless to say they got a giggle everytime my mother had to call him in from outside. I was really young and thought he was named because he loved bones. :confused2

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
Congrats on finding a puppy - can't wait to see pictures! Welcome from Isabelle & I in AZ. The name thing is tricky - we didn't think Isabelle was that popular until afte we got her it seemed like everywhere we went some lady was talking to her little girl - Isabelle. Luckily for us we don't know any other dogs that are Isabelles but our neighbors have a peekenese (sp?) Bella.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Welcome for Sue, Chessie, Riggs and Kylee from OH. Enjoy DT, lots of good info.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Hello and welcome! :)

You will love it here. It saved me so much getting info from here. As I am a first time Dobe owner. My Bruno is a Year and 7 months (As the sig says hehe) and he's come along way! This group helped me SO much. I'm so glad I joined and got to meet other Dobe lovers :) THey're such an awesome breed to have and I don't think I'll ever live my life without having a Dobe by my side :D

Can't wait to see pictures of the pup!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Good point on the names.

The breeder puts her kennel name on the registration. It is from Pamelot Dobermans. Pam was one of the past presidents of the DPCA. And has been into
Dobermans for a very long time. So there are a number of puppies with Pamelot in the name.

I guess it may help to wait and hear what she names him. I dont know if I will have any input. I didnt think to ask.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Hello and welcome Todd :)

I have Grace and Peewee. Grace after Grace Kelly. Peewee started out as a different name, but since she was smaller than the other 2, someone called her "a peewee" to my horror it stuck. So good luck LOL and can't wait to see the pics of your new guy.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts