Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - my husband and I just lost our Doberman Stryder whom we rescued from a horrible situation where he was chained outside in November when his owner was taken to jail and never bothered to tell anyone about his dog. After a few weeks someone finally called the human society - by then he was only 63 lbs at 2 years old and covered in frost bite (poor boy). At that time we were looking at getting a puppy but when I saw him I knew that rescuing him was the right thing to do. Well after 6 great years with him he developed Cardio Myopathy this Christmas and was doing very good on the meds but after a few months he had a heart attack and we lost him. I have never experience this much sadness in my life as Stryder was the most amazing dog ever and he is missed more than every. Anyways enough sadness.... my puppy days are finally here!! He was cropped just this past Thursday by a very well known vet Dr Staples in London Ontario who is mentioned on here quite a bit and he did a great job! Since we never had to do the posting thing I am very worried that we are going to do it wrong. Dr Staples said that when his sutures come out next week he will teach us how to crop but I was wondering if there was someone out there who could give us some help to ensure we tape them right. Also I live in the Guelph Ontario area and would be meet up.

Thanks Alicia

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Here are pics of the little guy...

The foam seems to be on there pretty good - I hope it stays on there until the stitches come out. I have already gone out and bought 5/8 backer rod and some duct tape for it - but I am not sure what the best tape is for his ears?? There is someone on Kijiji who says they have a method that will not cause any hair loss but he charges $100 to teach us....but I saw the post from Zephyr and it looks fairly straight forward but I thought that the ears needed to be somehow in the middle to keep them straight up??

I am sorry for all the questions it's just that I am a newbie to the cropping and posting thing...

Thanks you kindly in advance for any advise you are willing to give out :)

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Cooper is a handsome boy, thks. for the pics.

My wife does the taping, in the family, unfortunately we are a 1.5 hour drive from Guelph or she would be happy to show you for free.
- this is what we ordered, after being out of practice for a decade:

NATURE'S FARMACY
166 High Knoll Rd.
Jasper, GA 30143
(770) 893-1222

a) PetFlex (Vet Wrap) - a flexible cohesive bandage, 4" wide stuff by ANDOVER & cut in half (cheaper way), several colors & patterns available
b) ZONAS Porous Tape, white 1 in x 10 yds from Johnson&Johnson (12 rolls/carton, reorder #5104)

We cross border at Sarnia & ship to (save expensive shipping and brokerage fees...customs add 13% HST, coming home):
John Doe (insert buyers name)
2126 Lapeer Ave
Port Huron, MI 48060
^^^^ $5 parcell pickup (BLUE WATER SHIPPING DEPOT, 10 minutes fron bridge)

We started with the 5/8" diameter backer rod, and started using 7/8" a month ago...maybe done posting our Kelly now, at 6.5 months old.
- tampons flew out, when she shook her head
http://www.dobermantalk.com/puppy-c...new-baby-girl-bruda-around-world-kelly-8.html

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,265 Posts
One caution about the vet wrap--it can tighten up, especially if it gets wet. If you are going to use it, be sure to just wrap it around fairly loosely and then sorta scrunch it with your hand until it sticks together and fits snugly. Don't stretch it as you put it on. It is easy to do that accidentally if you are wrapping it on the pup's ears directly from the spool; have the amount you need unwrapped from its spool before you start.

If you are going to use backer rod, you will need duct tape to stiffen the rod--just wrap a layer of the tape lengthwise from end to end to keep the backer rod stiff and straight.

Lots of folks who haven't posted their puppy's ears before are worried and apprehensive about the process, but once you've done it a few times, it becomes second nature fairly quickly--it's not that hard to do. And if you don't like the job you've done, or if your pup is messing with it, you can always take it off and start over. You need to be concerned about bleeding, irritation, infection, wrappings that are too tight, in terms of health, but any problem with the way the pup's ears look throughout this process can be fixed the next time you post them.

And of course, there are wonderful resources here--if you have questions, feel free to ask. If you are concerned with how your puppy's ears look, go ahead and post pictures too--that helps folks here figure out what might be going on.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help!! So its been 3 days since the crop and there is a small amount of discharge coming from his ears and he REALLY wants to scratch at them....they do not smell bad so is this normal, Dr Staples and our normal vet are not open on the weekends so we cannot call until tomorrow morning?

I will try to get some pics up if I can get the wiggly guy to hold still.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
here are the best photos I could get - My husband was the one that took Cooper for his cropping so I wasn't able to ask him if we are okay to use a little dab of peroxide and polysporin (called neosporin in the US) around the edges... Did anyone else do this??

·
Got mutt?
13,819 Posts
The polysporin should be okay, but don't use peroxide.

Reactions: Cathy43 and melbrod

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So Cooper when back to Dr. Staples today as he needed his boosters anyways and he told us there was a little infection but nothing serious and we could do without antibiotics but we took some just to be on the safe side as I don't want the little guy to be uncomfortable. The foam block should last another 2 weeks accorting to the vet so if we are lucky enough that his ears stay on it we will start posting afterwards.

·
Registered
397 Posts
The polysporin should be okay, but don't use peroxide.
Agreed - we use polysporin on our pup anytime we have anything come up and its great, but don't use the peroxide.

I've used a small mixture of seasalt and water just to keep cuts clean when they've arose.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Coopers ears are healing very very well about 99% and the foam is still on there pretty good - so when we need to start the taping his ears will be completley healed. We have been using the most amazing cream and I'm not sure if anyone on here knows about it but it helped heal the edges and kept them nice and smooth - and the great thing was it is all natural so if another dog licks it off there is nothing in it that will harm them. I had this in the house for Stryder as his feet would alwasy crack from the long cold winters. I was use it every night and just gently massage it on all the edges and I am amazed at how quickly it made the eges heal.

Herbal Healing Salve (2 oz)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts