Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my new Puppy about a week and a half ago named him Sarge he is a good dog but he just want to keep biting and scratching myself and others. this is my first doberman puppy and the first pup ive had they keeps wanting to bite and scratch everone. He just turned 8 weeks old so i dont want to get to physical with him to get him to stop this behavior.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
http://www.dobermantalk.com/puppy-corner/63989-biting-barking.html

Here's one thread on a biting puppy, you ca search for others as well.

General practice on the forum is not to feed into the behavior and everytime he bites redirect to a toy or appropriate chew/biting object. It will take time, but he is young and highly trainable at this point.

Good luck!

Reactions: Nubis'sDad

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Welcome to puppy hood! I've had my puppy for a month now and he still bites we say no and give him something he is allowed to bite. Also keep in mind that he is very young and you shouldn't have even gotten him until he was 8 weeks. I didn't get Diesel till 9 weeks. The biting is just what puppies do you just have to redirect him but be patient it takes time.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Your puppy is trying to communicate with you. Until you teach him to use a pen and paper, you are going to have to teach him, acceptable behaviors, redirect, redirect, redirect, fetch, chew toys,walks,etc. Your pup is trying to have fun, the best it knows. Trust me, if you get physical with him, he will bite harder.
Play fighting with them is great because if you can't beat them join them. But set the rules accordingly.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Looks like you have a regular, healthy doberman puppy on your hands.

Be sure to get plenty of good, playful exercise in daily. This will impede the jumping and biting a bit.

Redirect, redirect, redirect with toys! Always have something near you and handy to stick in his mouth when he's biting.

As far as jumping, do your absolute best to ignore the puppy entirely. Jumping means the puppy is asking you for play and attention. Do not let your puppy begin deciding when to play and when to demand attention.

Never, never think about hitting your dog. This never works to actually change the thought that causes the behavior. It only makes your dog afraid and confused. This will not work as a training technique, especially with an intelligent breed like the Doberman.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone I have been redirecting him with his chew rope he stops for a bit but then goes right back to my arm or foot, and they only time ive hit him was when he he tries to bite people in the face, its just a slight swat on his nose and a frim NO he got over that real quick although he will try to do it aging ever now and then but a firm NO makes him stop.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Thanks everyone I have been redirecting him with his chew rope he stops for a bit but then goes right back to my arm or foot, and they only time ive hit him was when he he tries to bite people in the face, its just a slight swat on his nose and a frim NO he got over that real quick although he will try to do it aging ever now and then but a firm NO makes him stop.
Him and Diesel would get along great. You just have to stick with it. It won't change overnight or in a week it takes a lot of time. It's how they play. We've been working on it for a month and he still does it. Get something good for him to chew on. It does get better also a tired pup is a good pup! If Diesel is tired there's no biting so wear your boy out. Puppies have a lot of energy and a Doberman pup has even more so he could also be bored and trying to get your attention. Keep up with it. I know it's annoying and a pain and i was so irritated with Diesel but I've learned that a busy pup doesn't have time to bite me or even think of it.

Don't hit! That's doing more damage then good and they can often think you're trying to rough play not to mention you never want to hit a dog.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Puppies like to bite/chew that's their thing so to speak.

With my puppies I gave them something of value to chew a pressed rawhide or an appropriate raw bone to chew on. They did prefer the raw bone.

If, they did start biting they were redirected to what they could bite/chew on.

You said your puppy just turned 8 weeks old how was it possible for someones face to be close enough to bite.

·
Registered
303 Posts
You just have to hang in there and do your best. Major is our first Dobe and I'm tellin' you he was a biting terror when he was a pup. He bit mostly me because I spent the most time with him. He eventually outgrew it and is a perfect gentleman now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You said your puppy just turned 8 weeks old how was it possible for someones face to be close enough to bite.
just holding him he started licking my face and the out of nowhere he bite me on my cheek then he did the same thing to my mom.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Puppies treat their humans like another puppy because thats all they know its up to the human to redirect and teach the pup that is not the way to play with the human. Good luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts