Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I hope whoever is reading this will have an amazing day, and thank you for taking the time to check on my post. I got my 14 week puppy this last weekend. His ears were cropped 5/13/21, first stitches removed and checked up on 5/18/21, and on 5/21/21 the second stitches were removed. The breeder told me his ears stood up on their own during the process of the scabs healing. She never posted them because his ears were still healing. Around the time that we were preparing him to come home, his ears fully healed from all scabs and they stand all on their own. Personally, the breeder and I don’t see a need to post his ears, but is there anything that you experienced doberman owners see on my boy that raises any concerns regarding his ears? More specifically does the inside of his ears look normal (pockets, etc)? His crop style is the short/medium. All of his siblings that got cropped short/medium and medium/long are all standing on their own without posting with the exception of one.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
27,007 Posts
At the moment they appear to be standing well--that can happen; short crops will stand earlier than the longer ones. But they may start to sag while he is teething. If you want to leave him unposted, you can take a picture of him every few days or so and compare them with these to see if you see any change in his ears--that may mean they do need posting.

They do have a little flip in the tips--some folks like that; some don't. It can be a result of the way the ears were cropped, but it can also indicate weakness in the ears still. They certainly won't get any straighter if they're left unposted and may get worse. You could probably get those tips completely straight with posting if you'd like.

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
At the moment they appear to be standing well--that can happen; short crops will stand earlier than the longer ones. But they may start to sag while he is teething. If you want to leave him unposted, you can take a picture of him every few days or so and compare them with these to see if you see any change in his ears--that may mean they do need posting.

They do have a little flip in the tips--some folks like that; some don't. It can be a result of the way the ears were cropped, but it can also indicate weakness in the ears still. They certainly won't get any straighter if they're left unposted and may get worse. You could probably get those tips completely straight with posting if you'd like.
Thank you so much for the insight! Info was very helpful. I didn’t know that the ears can weaken.

·
Extraordimary
4,976 Posts
IMO, they do have slight pockets which is not surprising considering that he has not been posted. It's not a crop I'd be very happy with so I'd definitely be doing all I could to make it the best it can be. I personally think that posting is needed.

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IMO, they do have slight pockets which is not surprising considering that he has not been posted. It's not a crop I'd be very happy with so I'd definitely be doing all I could to make it the best it can be. I personally think that posting is needed.
Ok thanks, like I said I only got him the weekend that just passed and that’s when his ears just finished healing from scabs, so it’s only been a few days without ever posting.

·
Big Lil pup
6,729 Posts
Hi Rui's mom. I noticed a pocket apparently forming in your pup's left ear from the photo in your earlier thread. I didn't comment on it because I did not know where you were with respect to posting. Plus, you did not ask for advice.

Now you are. Your boy's crop is fairly short. As Melbrod said... Short crops, especially with a wide bell, will often stand easily. And, as also stated, when the pup passes through teething, the ears may drop somewhat or even fail completely Or they may not.

Regardless, as both melbrod and Mary and Dobes suggested, I would post Rui's ears. Mainly to correct the pocket that seems to exist, but also to ensure that they continue to stand and to straighten out the tips. Posting seems hard at first, but it is easily learned. Your pup will very quickly learn to accept it. Plus it is a good opportunity for your boy to learn to accept you putting your hands on him when it is necessary.

Here are links to a couple of discussions to help you understand what "pockets"are and how to post ears using very tired and true method.

Ear pockets- what are they and how to fix them.

How to: Posting Show Cropped Ears Using Backer Rod

I hope this helps with your questions. Please come back with any more questions, or updates!

Btw, your young boy is handsome and also very cute.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Rui's mom. I noticed a pocket apparently forming in your pup's left ear from the photo in your earlier thread. I didn't comment on it because I did not know where you were with respect to posting. Plus, you did not ask for advice.

Now you are. Your boys crop is short. Very close to what used to be called a "military" crop. As Melbrod said... Short crops, especially with a wide bell, will often stand easily. And, as also stated, as the pup passes through teething, the ears may drop somewhat or even fail completely Or they may not.

Regardless, as both melbrod and Mary and Dobes suggested, I would post Rui's ears. Mainly to correct the pocket that seems to exist, but also to ensure that they continue to stand and to straighten out the tips. Posting seems hard at first, but it is easily learned. Your pup will very quickly learn to accept it. Plus it is a good opportunity for you boy to learn to accept you putting your hands on him when it is necessary.

Here are links to a couple of discussions to help you understand what "pockets"are and how to post ears using very tired and true method.

Ear pockets- what are they and how to fix them.

How to: Posting Show Cropped Ears Using Backer Rod

I hope this helps with your questions. Please come back with any more questions, or updates!

Btw, your young boy is handsome and also very cute.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR
Thank you so much for the info. I am not sure what’s suppose to look good and what’s deemed to be incorrect. Clearly, I didn’t have much knowledge on it as I thought as long as the ears stand and don’t go inward then it is good to go. I will be getting the supplies today to start the process. I do notice he does enjoy getting his ears cleaned so I’m hoping it won’t be too much of a hassle for him. Very informative reply you compiled, thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
20 Posts
i personally like the crop you have looks like my Boys. i only posted mine just a couple of times but his stands like yours. i am hoping his continues to stand through teething. i do know mine will have his upright all day. but when he wakes up in the morning he has them sticking out sideways and i always freak out like damn i failed then after about 20mins there back upright again and im ok with that lol

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i personally like the crop you have looks like my Boys. i only posted mine just a couple of times but his stands like yours. i am hoping his continues to stand through teething. i do know mine will have his upright all day. but when he wakes up in the morning he has them sticking out sideways and i always freak out like damn i failed then after about 20mins there back upright again and im ok with that lol
Hi there! Thanks for your reply. My guy is the same as well. From what the breeder told me, his ears has been standing since his stitches came out. They stand all day and night, never drooping or sagging. I posted them last night with a bumper to fix his pockets. Now I’m a little paranoid that they might fall during teething like all these other people say. Lol.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi there! Thanks for your reply. My guy is the same as well. From what the breeder told me, his ears has been standing since his stitches came out. They stand all day and night, never drooping or sagging. I posted them last night with a bumper to fix his pockets. Now I’m a little paranoid that they might fall during teething like all these other people say. Lol.
ya its tough lol like you said with no prior experience with the breed or ear cropping. this is my 3rd dobey and 1 of my previous had a short crop that never stood up they just flopped down and i was ok with that it was still better then his big floppy ears to me but he would only stand em up if he seen something that would alerted his attention. i know some or most wont agree with my decisions but i roll the dice haha atleast urs likes his ears cleaned like you said mine is 1000mp non stop lol

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lol oh well, it’s your dog and if they don’t agree then they can just cram it honestly. 😂🤷🏻‍♀️

·
Dobes Dobles +1
Neo Puppy, Lanah Chi-Cairn X 6 y/o, RIP Eva HADR Rescue Dobe, Sunking's Spock, Lillah Chi-Terrier X
4,962 Posts
Lol oh well, it’s your dog and if they don’t agree then they can just cram it honestly. 😂🤷🏻‍♀️
Rui's mom, I hope your comment above to CN was in jest, judging by the emojis?
Because we all have to be able to take good and bad feedback on the DT forum when asking for opinions.
That's how we all learn from each other and from very experienced Dobe owner members on DT. (y)

BTW, cute Euro Dobe pup Rui, you have there! His face, up close, looks like a mature Dobe already, at only 15 weeks! :)
(maybe it's the standing ears?)

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Because we all have to be able to take good and bad feedback on the DT forum when asking for opinions.
That's how we all learn from each other and from very experienced Dobe owner members on DT. (y)

BTW, cute Euro Dobe pup Rui, you have there! His face, up close, looks like a mature Dobe already, at only 15 weeks! :)
Hey there. I thought it’s odd that even people will give you crap about how you handle your own dog’s cropped ears when there’s already plenty of people who will even crucify you for doing the procedure anyway. So I was just telling CN to who cares about what other people think about how he handle his dogs ears. After all, if he thinks his dog’s ears look great, then that’s all that matters. I, on the other hand, asked for feedback so I will take what is dished to me. I’m glad I did because my boy’s ears already looks better just after one day of posting with a bumper! I took them out because I needed to use a smaller size backer rod, but I can tell you it’s a lot straighter than it was before (for the time being at least). The backer rod with bumper method made a world of a difference. So don’t think I’m not grateful that this forum exists. 👍
Btw, I like his face too lol. One of the reasons why I chose him was because of his “old/mature” mug. 🤣

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

His before and after so far 😳

·
Super Moderator
27,007 Posts
They look a lot better. But we need pictures of the WHOLE puppy, not just these little teasers. LOL

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dang, so looks like his right ear is leaning now. I thought it could have been the way he was holding his ear last night. Oh well, we just got the correct backer rod size, so we will continue to post. So many compliments for the boy at Home Depot and Jamba Juice. 😆 I gotta say he behaves exceptionally well in public for being a 4 month old pup.

·
Super Moderator
27,007 Posts
Just go ahead and keep them in posts all the time. Usually you need to remove them about every 3-5 days if everything looks OK. Let them dry for about 20 minutes and then repost them.

If they get wet or muddy, if the posts come out of the ears at the bottom, or if you notice a smell or irritation, you need to take them down right away, deal with whatever the problem is (clean them up, see if an infection is starting up and treat that) and repost them.

Don't leave them down except when you are changing posts, or you'll be undoing the work you've done.

In addition to the threads posted above, we have one on how to remove the posts. You need to dissolve the stickiness of the tape before you take it off so you don't pull on the puppy's ear and hair too much.

It recommends using Uni-solve, which is a product made specifically for removing surgical tape and works really well for this purpose, but If you can't get unisolve, you can use mineral (baby) oil, or even in a real pinch, cooking oil. The trick is to get the tape really saturated before you try to remove it. With oils, you'll need to blot and clean the ear until there is no oil residue so that the tape will stick when you repost.

How to: Gently Remove Ear Posts | Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums (dobermantalk.com)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts