Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I just put down my deposit on my new baby! He is due to come home mid jan at around 8 weeks old. I’m so excited I have been searching for collars and harnesses just to help me contain my excitement and be ready for his day to come home. What size should I go with? I’m guessing he will probably be around 10-15lbs? I want to get a collar and a harness, most likely a step in. I want to buy one that fits but can fit for hopefully a little bit. Help please! Also, I haven’t owned a puppy in 15yrs, I know they like to wait to neuter now. Should I wait about 2years to neuter for all the growth plates to be almost done?

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
This is going to sound like a weird answer but: ask the breeder! They'll be able to answer most of your new puppy questions. :)

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
He isn’t born yet, haha I’m just very impatient and have so many things in my cart waiting to purchase, lol. Maybe I should wait atleast until he is born 😂
I'd still ask! My breeder sent that information out, but they'll know what size collar you should buy.

·
Premium Member
9,059 Posts
I live in New York!
Thanks ! Now for the reason I wanted to know - I was hoping you lived in a warm weather state as we have had only 1 winter time puppy and it sure is different to raise a new one versus the summer puppies ! Ali girl was a winter pup , she was so smart ! I would say Ali - lets go out and potty - it was only like zero out , she would run to her pin and pee in it and then look at me like , No dad , I don't need to go out , lol You will need a good coat for him + if you have have the ears cropped -- boy you have to be careful not to get frost bite on them little ears - Wife made Ali a winter cap that covered her ears when we took her out . Just something to think about

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks ! Now for the reason I wanted to know - I was hoping you lived in a warm weather state as we have had only 1 winter time puppy and it sure is different to raise a new one versus the summer puppies ! Ali girl was a winter pup , she was so smart ! I would say Ali - lets go out and potty - it was only like zero out , she would run to her pin and pee in it and then look at me like , No dad , I don't need to go out , lol You will need a good coat for him + if you have have the ears cropped -- boy you have to be careful not to get frost bite on them little ears - Wife made Ali a winter cap that covered her ears when we took her out . Just something to think about
Yes my past dobermans certainly were not a fan of the cold! Potty training will definitely be difficult. I need to find some cropped ear hats!

·
Super Moderator
21,310 Posts
Depending on where you live, frostbite can be an issue for dogs. I use a snood for my dogs on the terribly cold days.

·
Super Moderator
21,310 Posts
It's basically a "tube" (often fleece) of fabric that covers a dog's ears.

Reactions: melbrod
1 - 12 of 12 Posts