Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm bringing my new puppy home in two weeks and she will be my first puppy in many years, as I have three other dogs. I'm excited, it's a little red girl!

I have two crates for her from my other dobe - a vari kennel and a wire crate. I am planning on using the vari kennel in the living room where she will be during the day with my other dogs (also crated) and in the wire crate in the bedroom at night (with all of us).

While I do plan to be home from work a couple of extra days the first week what do you guys recommend for a potty set up? I have someone helping me let her out during the day, but won't have someone every hour. Do you think lining half the crate with newspapers or pee pads would work? What does everyone else do if they have to be away more than an hour or sleep all night? She will be 8 weeks, and I know she needs to go frequently for quite some time. I've re-arranged my work schedule to be home more, but there will be spans of 2-3 hours where she will be on her own (or so to speak) and I know that she won't make it two hours especially this young.

Thanks in advance.

·
Semper Fidelis
857 Posts
I am in a very similar situation, taking my 9 week old pup home in 2 weeks. I will be home the first 2 weeks and here's my plan (you may choose to take from it what you wish):

An 8 week old puppy will in no way be able to control her bladder so soon. I will be setting up an xpen with a crate extension for several weeks (perhaps months) with plastic and then a tarp over top of the flooring to ensure accidents do not damage the floor. The will be a paper area and the crate will be the designated sleeping area. I prefer this to leaving a young pup in a crate and giving it no choice but to eliminate there.

1 week at home full time with puppy in xpen when not supervised
2nd week at home but attending meetings at work with puppy in xpen when not supervised
3rd+4th week, back to work with 1.5 hrs to go home for lunch and a dog walker in the morning and afternoon.
5th week, vacation.
6th week and forward, slowly moving pee times to longer waits until eventually he can hold it between visits and eventually all day and be crated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I was thinking about the expen extension and actually was just talking on the phone with my breeder about it. I've got some really thick contractors plastic to use on the floor for lining. Right now, she said the puppies mainly pee and poo on the newspaper in the gated area and not in their half crate where they all pile together, so she thinks that will be a good transition for little Stella.

Good luck with your pup and thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts