Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am bringing home my first puppy soon and would like some advice on how to raise a little boy Doberman. I am planning on keeping him outdoors in my newly remodeled outdoor kennel that is equipped with electricity and fans to combat the heat. I know that Dobermans need a lot of attention and keeping him outside isn't the preferred option but he really would have more room and due to allergies in the family it's necessary.

I do plan on spending lots of time with him as I am planning on training him myself. Any tips on Doberman specific training would be awesome! Especially potty training, since he is in a kennel i will have a "potty spot" for him and I'm not entirely sure how to train him to go in that specific spot. Ant tips are welcome!!

I also am planning on feeding him a raw diet. I have been researching it and I like the idea of feeding him as God created him to eat. Any helpful advice is appreciated!!

I also am wondering about ear cropping. The breeder crops tails and removes dewclaws but does not crop or neuter. Does anyone know any good vets in the Tampa, FL area that would do it correctly? My neighbor had her Pit Bull's ears done by some idiot who totally botched them all up so I'm kind of worried about finding a good one. How are they supposed to be done? I've never posted or wrapped ears before so help is GREATLY needed!!

Should I neuter? I know that it's recommended because of all the unwanted dogs in the world but what are the benefits to doing it versus keeping him intact?

Further down the road I would like to train him in Personal Protection and I have some people who can help me get him into doing photo shoots for ad campaigns.

I'm super excited about all the possibilities but right now I just need puppy advice!!! Thanks so much!!!

Registered
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I suggest using the search function to find a lot of "new puppy" advice already on the forum.

It is helpful to do this first, so that if you have any questions about what you have read or something specific to your situation, you can ask and get some good answers. 馃槂

The only advice I can give you right away is not to get the puppy. I don't know your situation and not sure who in your family has the allergies, but your Doberman puppy will not be happy outside, in a kennel, away from his family.

This is not meant to be rude or insensitive, just want you to know that this breed is not a breed to be left alone.

I'm sure you will train, give lots of attention etc., but honestly, in my opinion, it won't be enough.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do, and again, welcome.

Registered
Bluedobe, I agree 110%. Dogs are family members, not lawn orinaments. If you can't let your dog be apart of your family, and live in your house, then do not get one. I can't imagine someone leaving an 8 week old Doberman puppy outside 24/7. The poor thing would be terrified and traumatized.

Registered
There are breeds which are more independent that would be a far better choice than a Doberman. If allergies are too severe to allow your Doberman to be part of the family, then the likelihood of your dog growing up to be a healthy and sound dog emotionally are not good. The fact that your breeder does not crop ears and is willing to sell the pup to an outdoor home also means the breeding of the pup is suspect and I would worry that necessary health testing has not been done on the parents.

Please rethink your choice of breed and find a breed more suited to your situation.

Big Lil pup
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I suggest using the search function to find a lot of "new puppy" advice already on the forum.

It is helpful to do this first, so that if you have any questions about what you have read or something specific to your situation, you can ask and get some good answers. 馃槂

The only advice I can give you right away is not to get the puppy. I don't know your situation and not sure who in your family has the allergies, but your Doberman puppy will not be happy outside, in a kennel, away from his family.

This is not meant to be rude or insensitive, just want you to know that this breed is not a breed to be left alone.

I'm sure you will train, give lots of attention etc., but honestly, in my opinion, it won't be enough.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do, and again, welcome.
Also welcome.

Still, I could not agree with Bluedobie more emphatically. There is a time and place for outdoor kennels. I have relied on them on and off for years. But, their use should be restricted to well adjusted and trained dogs.

I cannot even imagine bringing home a puppy recently separated from his mom and litter mates and making him/her spend the night alone. Every puppy I have ever had spent its first nights in our bedroom (crated). We gradually moved them to their own area. To this day, my 11 month old comes down once or twice a night to check on us. He has his own room on a different floor. He walks around once, then goes back up to his crate. He would be very unhappy without that interaction.

Dobermans are extremely reliant on human interaction. BTW, a neglected dobe can end up being the "dog from hell". Please reconsider owning one until the time comes that you would treat him/her as you would a new child.

Thanks,

John Portland OR

Premium Member
Ditto all the above. My girl has an oudoor kennel that I use ONLY when I'm to be away for more than a few hours. She has never been destructive in the house - ever - but I worry about her having to pee if I'm gone for more than 3-4 hours (tho I know she would hold it!). However, she was introduced to the kennel after she was 8 months old, very short stints to start, she's comfortable in there, just sleeps in her house. BUT I would never ever leave her in there overnight!
If you want an "outside" dog, there are several other more independent breeds much more suited to this - please do your homework :)

Registered
I agree with everyone above and wanted to add that if your breeder doesn't require a crop and do it for you, then you should probably run away ASAP and find a reputable breeder, although a reputable breeder will not allow a Dobie to be kenneled outside. Health is a HUGE issue to this breed and health testing is important.

I don't think I mentioned it on this forum but it recently watched Dogs 101 on Dobes when I was bored and one of the first things they warned was of the health problems in this breed and to make sure you buy from a reputable breeder. Which I find interesting that even a generic source of knowledge would make that a high priority as well.

Registered
Just my 2 pennies. I just brought an 8wk old dobie home and I really lucked out he's awesome. That said he requires a lot of attention, and it seems like it helps that he's an inside/outside dog. I treat him like I treat my sons (with some exceptions of course). Making him a part of the family right off the bat has really helped him acclimatize to living with us a lot faster than I was expecting. So yeah seems like everyone is jumping up and down on you right now, but please for the health and wellbeing of your future pup listen to those with experience and rethink your situation.

Premium Member
Welcome to DT, have a question if you want to train him for personal protection how will he protect you if he is out side in a run with fans and all. ? Dog's need to be with their people all of the time so they can learn who maybe a good guy or a bad guy. That is also how the learn self confidence, how to have manners and learn to grow into a great dog. If he will be outside how will you house break him ? Not trying to give you a hard time just wondering is all. Never had a dog in a run before always in the house with me.

Registered
wow.

yeah, don't shove this puppy in an outdoor kennel. if you want a dog you can do that with, there are plenty of other breeds out there. and i can tell you now, the chances of finding an ethical, reputable breeder who will sell you a puppy to live in this situation is more than likely not possible.

Registered
Dobermans are, as far as I am aware, the only breed that was developed to protect an individual human being, rather than guarding livestock or property, etc. As such they need to be as close as possible (preferably ON their human :p ) to their people. And it's especially important in a family context, if there are more than one person living with the owner, because if they aren't properly socialized they can really become a one person dog and this could cause problems with your family members in the long run when they do interact with him.

My mother has asthma and severe allergies to certain animals, so we always knew it was going to be a coin toss with several measures taken to reduce the amount of allergens she's exposed to. (Nadia isn't allowed on her bed, I wipe down Nadia with a damp cloth when she comes in from outside, I brush Nadia outside or in my room only, etc. I'm also considering buying an extra air filter for the house, and I've read about various shampoos and/or home made solutions. Most of what triggers allergies is the dander, dander is mostly dead skin, so an other really important step in dealing is skin care).

I know it isn't what you want to hear and you're probably disappointed to hear it, I don't think a Dobe puppy is ideal for you in this situation. Heck, I don't think that a puppy, period is ideal for you, but at least if you chose a breed more adapted to kennel life you might have happier results. I would personally be hesitant to raise any kind of puppy in a kennel - If I were you, I would consider adopting an older pup or young adult dog, maybe as a rehome (from a breeder or otherwise) that themselves have dogs that are kennel raised. Some working sport breeders of certain breeds will have kennels, but it may take time to find someone because breeding and working sports (and/or showing) is incredibly time and money consuming, and in order for someone to have enough land/space to construct a high quality outdoor run and kennel, it does take a certain amount of money - it's rare breeders make money off breeding, it generally comes from an other source. So someone who makes a lot of money might not have time to have so many dogs that they need/want a kennel or outdoor run, and someone who doesn't make as much money may not have the opportunity to own more dogs or afford an ideal setup.

And some breeders, even with breeds who are more independent and do well in a kennel setting, just flat out refuse to see their babies go to a kennel life.

The other reason I don't think you should get this puppy is:
I'll echo what others have said regarding the breeder - if they dock the tail and remove the dewclaws but don't crop they are probably not reputable and/or might even be scamming you. In the US breeders sell their puppies with ears cropped as part of the purchase price and while some might be flexible and willing to let people keep floppy ears, it is not the default. So you may not even be getting a good quality pup with a stable temperament, let alone one suited to kennelling.

Out of curiosity, why the Doberman?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for your advice. I chose the Doberman because I love the breed. I am flexible if it's not the right type for my situation. Also I will clarify, it would NOT spend 24/7 in the kennel whatsoever. I would have it out with me a lot of the day especially since i have a job where it can accompany me. Really, it would only sleep in the kennel as opposed to a crate. Thanks again for your input.

Big Lil pup
"(preferably ON their human)"

OMG. Between stepping on me, laying on me, leaning on me, and worst of all, licking me like I am a human lollipop, there simply is NO escape! LOL At least with my youngest at 11 months, the needle teeth mauling is history....

Registered
If you love the breed then you have treat it with the respect it deserves. The Doberman is not an outdoor dog it's a Velcro dog meaning it wants to be with you. I couldn't imagine that tiny puppy sleeping outside ... How scary for the poor thing. They are weather sensitive and very alert. If you can't have him in the house due to allergies from a family member then you need to hold off on getting this dog. I have an 8 month old who is constantly by my side and when I say Velcro dog I mean it most of us can't go to the bathroom by ourselves. He sleeps in our room in his crate and is rarely left outside for any reason other then bathroom or if we are outside. I really think you need to take what everyone is saying into consideration and re think your decision for now. If I were you I would research this breed and find everything you need to know such as a good cropping vet etc that when the time is right you will have a good grasp on how to manage a rambunctious Doberman puppy ... They aren't your average dog.

Registered
I agree with everyone else here. It does not sound like your breeder is a reputable breeder, I will bet my first born that no health testing was done on the parents or if any testing was done at all it was probably just vWD and maybe Hips.

If you have allergy issues in the family and you are truly planning to be with the puppy/dog most of the day, then you will need to sleep in the kennel as well. You will carry hair, dander and other related dog junk into the house with you and spread it all over. If the dog will be in your vehicle that will make your vehicle off limits for the person or persons with allergy issues.

I don't think you situation is ideal for a Dobe, doesn't sound like anybody is going to be happy including the puppy.

I am sorry, it is difficult when you have these types of issues to consider.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts