Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned small dogs before but Sasha is my first large breed dog. I have always wanted a Doberman and I got my first one Christmas Eve.

I do have a few questions I'm hoping some of you can answer. She has learned sit, stay, come, and potty outside, however she seems to only listen to me. I have 2 kids age 7 and 8 and when they or my husband give her a command she just looks at them and continues what she is doing. She loves to play with them but for the most part won't obey them. How can I get her to listen to other members of my family?

She is not food agressive yet however she eats very fast whenever I feed her, like she hasen't eaten for days! I have taught her to sit and wait untill I tell her she can eat and she does. Any suggestions on avoiding food agression would be great. Also I feed her Natural Choice large breed puppy. Is that a good brand?

Next her skin seems to be dry. I have read that you can give them an egg or sardines to help with this but she is only 12 week old so will that upset her stomach and if not do you boil the egg or give it raw and how often.

Also any suggestions on housebreaking would be great! She knows what she is suppose to do outside and will even potty on command "potty outside" but sometimes we will be outside for 10 or 20 minutes or longer, she will do her business and then come inside and she will potty again in the house. Sometimes she will go to the door and others she will find a corner to potty in. I kennel her when we are not home and at night and she will also potty (mostly pee) in her kennel. I make sure to take her out before I put her in the kennel but when I get up in she pottyed. It's getting better but still having accidents.

Other then that she is a great puppy. Very friendly, very social, and very cute!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
I do have a few questions I'm hoping some of you can answer. She has learned sit, stay, come, and potty outside, however she seems to only listen to me. I have 2 kids age 7 and 8 and when they or my husband give her a command she just looks at them and continues what she is doing. She loves to play with them but for the most part won't obey them. How can I get her to listen to other members of my family?
First, welcome to DT.

You cannot get her to listen to other family members, the other family members must work with her. I am not fond of children giving commands, they tend to be inconsistent and rather poor trainers, as a rule. IMO the puppy should never be left unsupervised with your children. As for your husband, he needs to be involved in training. At only 12 weeks old, don't expect to much.

She is not food agressive yet however she eats very fast whenever I feed her, like she hasen't eaten for days! I have taught her to sit and wait untill I tell her she can eat and she does. Any suggestions on avoiding food agression would be great. Also I feed her Natural Choice large breed puppy. Is that a good brand?
Eating fast seems to be pretty typical with this breed. Making her wait is a good idea. If she is gulping/bolting her food you might want to consider feeding her from a bowl designed to slow them down. Anti-Gulp Feed Bowl

Nutro's Natural Choice is not what I would consider a good food. Check out the Dog Food Analysis site and go with something rated 4 stars or higher Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble

With a higher quality food her dry skin may resolve itself.

As for food aggression, many people will have many different ideas on how to keep a dog from being food aggressive. I periodically take food from my dog's bowls and feed it to them from my hand, with my hand near their bowl. Thus, they learn that a hand near their bowl does not mean their food will be taken away.

Also any suggestions on housebreaking would be great!
Since she is peeing in her crate, I would have her checked for a UTI, which is very common in female puppies. If she has an untreated UTI housebreaking is futile. As for housebreaking, the key is to never leave the puppy unattended or divert your attention from her when she is not crated. If necessary leash her to you. Take her out every 15-20 minutes, take her out first thing when she comes out of the crate, take her out after eating, after playing, after sleeping. Constantly take her out. Going out the same door is helpful.

Make sure any accidents inside the house are thoroughly cleaned with a good enzyme cleaner so no residual odor remains.

Good luck with your puppy. We would love to see more pictures.

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts
House breaking 101 :
If you take them out on about a 6 ft leash it helps keep them focused tell them go potty ,hurry up or what ever words you want to use just use the same words each time. Stand in one spot let them go all around you till they find the spot then Praise like it is the greatest thing you ever saw. If they do not go in about 20 minutes go back in and crate them or tie them to you them go back out in about 30 minutes.pups need to go out after naps,playing, eating & drinking 1st thing in the morning last thing at night depending on the age of the pup you may need to take them out at night too. Always use a pet urine enzyme to clean up all traces of urine or feces you can use a black light to find all traces. It takes about 3-6 months of contestant training to house break a pup the more accidents they have the longer it takes. Hang a bell on the door you go out you ring it until the pup gets the idea how to ring it yes sometimes they ring it to go look at a squirrel but its a phase they go though you just have to go though it with them. Do not forget to praise each time they go to reinforce the potty training. If you are consistent you will also have a pup/dog that will go potty on command comes in handy when it rains,snow, is icy, on a trip at night . People will think you are a amazing trainer too. Good Luck with your new baby.
Are you going out each time with him and making sure he goes and praising every time he goes I believe it is important to ask them if they need to go potty or what ever words you want to use same words each time though. When he is playing you might ask him if he needs to go like a little reminder. I still to this day ask mine if they want to go if they have been in the house awhile.If you hang bells on the door if you ring them each time when taking him out he will learn to ring the bells on his own. This system really works just have to be consistent with it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Check to see if her crate is too big for her. She should only be able to turn around. If necessary, section off the crate if metal. Not at all able to do that in a plastic crate. Just use a few sizes smaller.

During the day and night the first month, I penned Liberty inside a wire fence, crate door open, with plenty of water and her breakfast for the first month. She could pee and poop to her hearts content. It is not fair to a 12 week old puppy to crate all day as of course she will pee and poop as she has no control yet.

Liberty is now 18 weeks old and she is penned during the day and I come home (5 hours) and she usually does not pee or poop anymore but waits for me to come home. She plays in the yard for 20 minutes and back she goes in her pen until I get home. She may pee on a potty pad but that is it.

At night Liberty is now crated and she sleeps 8 hours before she needs to pee.

Just see what works best for her. You have to try a few times until you figure out what works but don't set her up to fail by leaving her all day in a crate...so not fair!

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
Welcome natasha0424 & Sasha.

Re:
She is not food aggressive yet, however she eats very fast
- our girl was to, but after 4 months...now free feeding really successfully
- with only 1 dog in the house, she learned that fighting litter mates for kibble wasn't needed (any longer)

Re:
Next her skin seems to be dry.
- not our case, with 4 to 5 star rated kibble & organic treats used
- please search here: http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

Re:
I kennel her when we are not home and at night and she will also potty (mostly pee) in her kennel.
- dobe in kennel at night, is NOT my idea of a good/best relationship
- my dog(s) will always sleep, in the master bed room
I can't FIX what I can't see, so I don't understand the "kennel night" approach / and owner wonder why puppy pee accident can happen ??
- our pups sleep on our bed & never an accident (over 3 decades) / average potty training time, has been 3 weeks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the great advice. I think her kennel was too big I put a divider in and she no long goes in it. But sleeping in the bed? I tried that 1 time for a nap and she woke up before me and pottyed in my bed. But that was when I first brought her home so maybe now she won't. I bought her a bell for the door and in 2 days she learned to ring the bell when she wants out. Great idea! Thanks again for all the great advice!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts