Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm the proud owner of a 6week old doberman and was wondering the right time to get her ears cropped? Shes been to the Vet and everything checked out ok and she recieved her first set of shots! Also when is the best time to start training her to sit, stay, come and all the other good things we want them to do!! I live near memphis,tn so if anyone knows a good school to send her to or a good vet to get her ears cropped at I would very much appreciate it!!

·
Extraordimary
4,992 Posts
A 6 week old puppy should still be with its mom and littermates! This is so vital that some states have laws stipulating it - isn't yours one of them?

This is the time that puppy should be learning bite inhibition and other "rules" from mom and siblings.

Current vaccination protocols also say that mom's immunity is still protecting them at 6 weeks and shots are useless at this time. Recommendations are to receive first vax at 8 weeks.

Responsible breeders keep their puppies until the appropriate age and also take care of the cropping and aftercare so that owners like yourself aren't left to wonder where to go and what to do.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Welcome!

Ear Cropping is done around 8 weeks old and training can start today! Use treats and positive reinforcement...make it fun. You can get her into a puppy class as soon as her puppy shots give her some protection....not for around a month to six weeks. She is a little young to be away from mom...most of us on here got our pups after 8 weeks old, after they are cropped and the stitches are out. I got my Petey at 10 weeks old, he was with his siblings until only 2 days before I picked him up.

Good luck...this is a great place to learn a ton!

Carol

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I'm the proud owner of a 6week old doberman and was wondering the right time to get her ears cropped?
I don't think you will want to put a puppy that left their mother and littermates too soon through getting their ears cropped...something so ongoing and lots of work. Instead I would focus your attention on socialization and others probably know more about how you should be handling the situation....

I agree with Maryanddobes and Im sure alot of others will chime in on how 6 weeks is too young to go to their home and leave mom and littermates...and that a responsible reputable breeder would never allow that. They would also typically get their ears cropped before they go to their homes...

but if you cant have the person with the mother and other littermates keep your puppy for another 2 weeks then we are here to help with any questions regarding the development of your puppy. The advice you can recieve on this forum is nowhere near the importance of the puppy being with mom and littermates but atleast it's better than no help :)

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Mary is right about puppies needing their moms and litter mates at that age. It is soooo crucial to their development. It's disheartening to hear that there are irresponsible breeders out there that are allowing that to happen. I know that three weeks doesn't sound that it would be that important, but it is crucial to a pup. Another important benefit to purchasing your pup from a reputable breeder, they will make sure the cropping and a good portion of the posting time is done and over before the pups even go on to their new home.

All that aside, they can get cropped at about 8 weeks generally. Cropping is an art, many vets can crop, but not many crop well. So it can be work to find someone good. I don't know that area, so I can't offer advice on who is good near you.

The advice you can recieve on this forum is nowhere near the importance of the puppy being with mom and littermates but atleast it's better than no help
Very nicely said and very true!

We're not beating you up, don't take that way. But we are glad to have you here, there is a lot to learn from the forum. In addition, we love to see pics and hear stories as well :)

·
Supersized Warlock Alpha
6,923 Posts
I don't have a Doberman, but I got my Frankie at 6 weeks old. Granted, she's a mixed breed, the litter was not planned, and the mom husky had stopped feeding them... I agree that it is very young, and would not do it again. She had a very small bladder at that age, and it was harder to train her not to puppy bite. However, she housebroke very quickly (never once pooped in the house even as a pup), and she has, with of course a lot of work and conscious effort, become an AMAZING dog.

So, although I do agree that you likely got your pup early and 6 weeks is too young, you just have to commit yourself to do that much better of a job raising her! You'll have to have more patience with the puppy biting, and I think socialization with other dogs (when she's old enough) will be very important.

Photos? I believe it's a requirement to post puppy photos...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts