Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone I just wanted to show some pics of my new addition to the family.We are going to pick him up next week.We are getting so excited

My Breeder has informed me that he is not pet quality and would like me to show him and atleast put a championship on him in Conformation,this will be something new to me as I have never done any thing like this before.But im up for the challenge.

View attachment 98

I have put a few more pics in my gallery of the father also.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
dobie lover said:
Hello everyone I just wanted to show some pics of my new addition to the family.We are going to pick him up next week.We are getting so excited

My Breeder has informed me that he is not pet quality and would like me to show him and atleast put a championship on him in Conformation,this will be something new to me as I have never done any thing like this before.But im up for the challenge.

View attachment 98

I have put a few more pics in my gallery of the father also.
The sire, Rayman, has been producing some really nice puppies. Is this a Wrath/Liberator litter? Who's the dam?

Very cute puppy..although the puppy I have now is black, I'm really partial to red, especially red males.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
new pup

Thanks Tracy & Murreydobe

Yes this this is the Wrath-liberators last litter

The dam is carmensweeps2.I will try to post a pic of her in my gallery

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
dobie lover said:
Yes this this is the Wrath-liberators last litter
Brian and Pat are really nice people, and have consistently produced good dogs for quite a few years. Thumbs up on your breeder choice!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
He's adorable. My first Doberman Max, left me with a soft spot in my heart for red males.
Congrats and good for you for picking a reputable breeder.

·
Registered
134 Posts
What a cute puppy! I've always wondered how they can tell if they're pet or show quality when they're that young. It seems like they change so much as they grow. Feel free to laugh at me if this is a stupid question!
Jen

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
dogs4jen said:
What a cute puppy! I've always wondered how they can tell if they're pet or show quality when they're that young. It seems like they change so much as they grow. Feel free to laugh at me if this is a stupid question!
Jen
Generally, litters are graded at about 8 weeks of age..its felt that puppies of that age will be close to the same proportions they'll have as adults..after 8 weeks, they can start going through some weird growth stages. You look for the same things you'd look for in an adult-correct angulation that's balanced front and rear, square, short backed, good transition of neck into shoulders, a good head, etc.

It's always an educated guess, with some breeders having more experience at litter grading, and more knowledge of the lines they're working with than others.

Some puppies are clearly pet quality right off the top-due to obvious flaws like poor angulation, toplines, tail sets, etc. Others may be borderline, and the breeder may keep them and grow them out for awhile to see what happens..although my experience has been that borderline puppies tend to grow up to be borderline adults more often than not.

Even if you have a puppy that looks like a good one at 8 weeks-good angles, well balanced, smooth, etc..you still don't know if they're going to have full and proper mouths at that age. You can xray mouths after about 10 weeks, looking for tooth buds. Or you can wait it out until the adult teeth erupt to find out.

Experienced breeders who are conservative and realistic about litter grading can usually can do a pretty good job of figuring out which are the legitimate show prospects in a litter.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Congrats on your new puppy, I bet you are so excited!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone

I am very excited, and have been waiting since mid december.But Pat has been keeping me in touch with everything that goes on.

This past week she had asked me what his recall name would be so that she can start using it before I picking him up.

Cant wait to meet them in person.I cannot say enough good things about them so far. :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello everyone

I picked up "Damien" on Friday morning, Melissa and I had such a great time meeting my Breeder I cannot say enough good things about them.

They did not want to let my Damien go, it was so sweet I could tell how passionate they were about this breed.When we brought him home the first thing I said to melissa was how great his recall was I could not believe it.

I took 2 roles of film this weekend so I will be sure to post some pics of him as soon as I get it developed. :)

ps. Murreydobe is your name Sheila??

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Great choice in a breeder. He is a gorgeous puppy. Can't wait to see more pix of the little guy. Those red boys are LOTS of fun <vbg> Enjoy your new puppy =)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts