Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just joined today and I'm not sure how to post pics yet since it keeps telling me I don't have permission to add to the gallery or update my avatar? But when I can post pics, I'd like to ask the forum users about my new puppy, Kiva. She is a rescue puppy as someone surrendered her saying that their apartment manager doesn't allow dobermans....but then why did they buy a doberman? Anyway, she's supposedly from a breeder (a terrible one I'm sure) as her tail looks docked too long with lick granuloma and they had her ears cropped WAY to early as she's maybe 7 weeks old. She only weighs 5.8lbs, and when I got her she weighed 4.2. Her first vet apt. is tomorrow so hopefully they will clear up some questions, but I thought I'd post her on the forum too. If anyone can tell me how to post a pic, I'd really appreciate it or if a moderator could give me access too, I'd like to post pics of her size and ears to get opinions on how old she is and if she's too small to be a full-size dobie.
Thanks!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
New Puppy Kiva

Ok, I finally figured out how to upload a photo of my pup. This is baby Kiva. She is a rescue puppy that someone surrendered saying that their apartment manager doesn't allow dobermans....but then why did they buy a doberman? Anyway, she's supposedly from a breeder (a terrible one I'm sure) as her tail looks docked too long with lick granuloma and they had her ears cropped WAY to early as she's maybe 7 weeks old. What vet in their right mind would crop her ears when she's this tiny!!! The person who gave her up said she was 7 weeks, but I'm thinking she's 5 weeks or a super runt because she is sooo tiny. She only weighs 5.5lbs, and when I got her 3 days ago she only weighed 4.2. Her first vet apt. is tomorrow so hopefully they will clear up some questions, but I thought I'd post her on the forum too. Has anyone seen a doberman runt this small? I'm hoping she'll become a full-size dobie, but she's so tiny right now that it's hard to imagine. And has anyone seen a poor babies ears cut so early, will they continue to grow normally even though they were cut this early?
Thanks!!!

·
Super Moderator
21,997 Posts
I could be wrong, but she doesn't look like a Doberman to me. Are you sure she isn't a Min Pin? Four pounds would be exceptionally small for a seven week old Doberman pup. I'm not sure it's even possible, actually. Seven weeks is actually about average for ear cropping, but again, she doesn't look Doberman to me.

Reactions: SoCalGirl

·
Super Moderator
21,997 Posts
OP, I've combined your two threads, since they are essentially the same.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's what I was afraid of that she may not be a doberman. But when I google a min-pin's average size and weight at 7 weeks they only weigh 1-2lbs. She is too clumsy to be any older than 7 weeks and is skinny. She doesn't have the loose floppy skin I usually see on baby dobermans, but I think she's much to big to be a pin pin. Also, she's gained over 1lb in 2.5 days. I do think that she's younger than 7 weeks personally and that she was taken away from the mama way too soon. She eats like there's no tomorrow which makes me think she wasn't getting fed properly before I had her. But even if she is 7 weeks now, her ears have already completely healed which I'm guessing takes a week or two, so that means they were cropped when she was 4 or 5 weeks old.
All opinions on her size and weight would be appreciated.
Has anyone else had a dobie this small that turned out to be big? Thanks!

I'm trying to insert a photo, but if you can't see it click this link or go to my gallery & it's my only photo.
http://www.dobermantalk.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=18979&catid=member&imageuser=22836

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
She looks like a Miniature Pinscher to me too. Regardless, do some reading on bite inhibition :]

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Hi there, I live in Oakland, too. I have a Doberman and my son has a min-pin. Your dog looks more like a min-pin to me. Very cute little pup.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just returned from the Vet & they think she's a pin-pin too. Oh well, she's still cute :)
But to those of you that have had min-pins as puppies, how much do they typically weigh at 7 weeks? She's 6lbs which seems very large for a 7 week old min-pin.
Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
I agree with everyone else. Does not look like a Dobe to me. I vote for Min Pin or Mix.
Welcome to the forum and good luck with your new pup!

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
6lbs is large for a pup. Average weight of an adult is 8-12 lbs, 10" to 12.5" in height at the shoulders. Perhaps she has a little something else mixed in her.

The breed club is a good source for more info on min-pins: MPCA | Home Page

Just returned from the Vet & they think she's a pin-pin too. Oh well, she's still cute :)
But to those of you that have had min-pins as puppies, how much do they typically weigh at 7 weeks? She's 6lbs which seems very large for a 7 week old min-pin.
Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't know a whole lot about these breeds being a new owner myself, but I do think she looks big for a min pin and small for a done, but what about a German pinscher? they are a more medium-sized dog? It is maybe just a possibility, and like I said I am no expert!

·
Registered
12 Posts
So i was researching, and I was wondering if she could be a German Pinscher? It sounds like they are a size between min pins and dobermans. But I am definitely no expert, just a thought :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts