Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

Im looking to pick up my blue female "Xena", in two weeks, shes the smallest of her litter but is a pistol :) However, shes has some bumps on her head and i felt a little on her side. The breeder did say that the bumps will be gone when we pick her up. Shes only 6wks at the moment. AKC and she's VWD clear.

Im aware of the type of care she will need to keep her health and coat prime. My question is, will these bumps come back?

I have also seen and kept in good hand of "Storm's Regime", I am definately taking it as guidance and will mention it to her vet.

Also any tips on how to keep her coat healthy as of now a lil pup?? I dont want to over expose her too much.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Could be puppy pimples, maybe from her diet? I changed my girls food and now at 5 months she has no more. Could also be an allergy to something, or bites, you will have to wait and see if they are itchy or just raised.

Fish oil is great, make sure it is 3&6, the best have added vitamin E as fish oil can deplete the body of vitamin E. Sardines twice a week as a treat, just in a can from the shops in spring water or olive oil are also great. Do not wash her much, if at all, if she gets dirty you can wipe her down with water or a diluted apple cider vinegar solution (helps with itchies also). Pretty simple stuff really :)

What food is she on at the breeders and did they recommend anything themselves?

Make sure you post lots of pics of your sweet new girl!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The breeder gauranteed that the bumps would be gone when I pick her up. It might be her food (she gets it from costco:confused:) her sister also has the bumps. I plan on keeping her on a good diet and supplements.

Because she's a blue, I hope the bumps won't flare up a problem later.

I will def post pics soon

·
Registered
91 Posts
The breeder gauranteed that the bumps would be gone when I pick her up. It might be her food (she gets it from costco:confused:) her sister also has the bumps. I plan on keeping her on a good diet and supplements.

Hera has them too, she is 13 wks. My friend Kate who has Diesel, Hera's half brother said they were puppy pimples. Some have dried up and gone away. The vet wasn't concerned about them when he saw her a week ago.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Has your breeder schooled you on the various skin/coat issues with blues?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've done a lot of research on blue dobies and how sensitive their coat can be. The breeder didnt mention too much advise about caring for a blue/fawn coat types. But it didnt bother me to ask about it at the moment. Ill have to ask her if her blues have any coat/skin issues. The parents (of Xena) were on site, but it was getting dark out at the moment.

To be honest as well, my in-laws male dobie Zeus (red), he has some coat issues. But I think if i help supplement him and Xena, his coat should start looking healthier. Ill be using some of the tips from "Storms Regime", which was a huge chunk of helpful information.

Nonetheless, Im sure its just puppy pimples. If it were something more serious (mange or whatnot), she wouldnt have been trying to look for future homes for them. Ive got a vet and everything set up. Just waiting for my girl to come home!!!:D

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought her through a breeder in my area. Ive looked and waited for a pup to adopt through a rescue but it's been years on waiting. This breeder seems to know her stuff (her family has been breeding for the last 40yrs). She also runs a dog daycare as well.

Xenas parents and their whole pack was onsite in their kennels. They all look very healthy and well tempered. Not one barked at me, but all were alert of my approach.

·
U got some splain' to do
244 Posts
They will clear up. I have a fawn girl and she had the same thing when she was a puppy. She's almost 9 months now and no signs of bumps. I also copied Storm's Regime. I feed her Taste of the Wild Bison and Venison, with treats of sardines. (not crazy about the smell) but she loves them.

Congratulations of your new bundle of joy. :D

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've done a lot of research on blue dobies and how sensitive their coat can be. The breeder didnt mention too much advise about caring for a blue/fawn coat types. But it didnt bother me to ask about it at the moment. Ill have to ask her if her blues have any coat/skin issues. The parents (of Xena) were on site, but it was getting dark out at the moment.

To be honest as well, my in-laws male dobie Zeus (red), he has some coat issues. But I think if i help supplement him and Xena, his coat should start looking healthier. Ill be using some of the tips from "Storms Regime", which was a huge chunk of helpful information.

Nonetheless, Im sure its just puppy pimples. If it were something more serious (mange or whatnot), she wouldnt have been trying to look for future homes for them. Ive got a vet and everything set up. Just waiting for my girl to come home!!!:D
I have also read Storm's Regime and if I recall, that was an older article. Things have changed and I believe so have attitudes toward the maintenance of blues and fawns. I wouldn't be that concerned about puppy pimples with any color other than blue. Unfortunately all to many "breeders" of that caliber if asked about coats, would not know, care or even realize what their placed puppies looked like upon maturity. I cannot begin ito magine that a breeder, placing blues and fawns isn't upfront about the potential hair loss of these colors. A coated blue is absolutely stunning, however, they are far and few between.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts