Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Smoked bones of any kind are brittle and dry - perfect for splintering and causing major problems. The dog's gut can digest raw bones but hard brittle smoked bones are a veterinarian's best friend! No way I would use them or any other smoked bone.
What you said, big time. I suspect that there is a class action lawsuit coming next year involving smoked pork bones... bunch of dogs ending up with a pile of bone crumbles stuck in the intestinal tract... some lived, some did not.

I don't do any processed bones (sterilized or smoked)... no rawhide, no pig ears, no antlers. Fresh bones, bully sticks, dried trachea, maybe those Himalayan dried cheese things. Puzzle toys are also involving and time consuming. Kongs filled with good quality canned food or ground raw food and frozen.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! I've got a source for bully sticks and the Himalayan things (tried one last week, they actually do last for a really long time). I already don't do rawhide or pig ears... Where can I get dried trachea? Which fresh bones are the best to give him? I want to see if I can get them from a local butcher, but not sure what to ask for.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Hi,

I'm always looking for good prices on decent sized bully sticks. What is your source for those and what are the Himalayan things?

Thanks.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is a link to the Himalayan things. They're not cheap, but Koa has had the same one twice in the last week - probably a total of 2 hours - and it's only half gone. They're $16.99 on the site, but the little shop where I get Koa's food has them for $15.99.
Link: Himalayan Dog Chew - XLarge | Himalayan Dog Chews

These are the bullys I get (12" jumbo ones, braided don't last my guy as long). I get them from my store as well, she just agreed to give me a discount on them for buying them by the case - I'm trying to find somewhere online to purchase them, not sure the place in Clio, MI will sell other than wholesale.
Link: Bully Sticks

If you can't find someplace online to order them, here is the shop where I get my food, they might ship?
Link: Home

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Thanks! I've got a source for bully sticks and the Himalayan things (tried one last week, they actually do last for a really long time). I already don't do rawhide or pig ears... Where can I get dried trachea? Which fresh bones are the best to give him? I want to see if I can get them from a local butcher, but not sure what to ask for.
A lot of the companies which make bully sticks also offer dried trachea... I would speak to your store about getting some in for you (those were GREAT looking bully sticks, by the way! I may get some!). I would suggest either big beef knuckle bones or whole steer femurs from the butcher shop... you do NOT want these dragged around your house, so you will want to keep them outdoors in the summer and teach your dog to keep them on a towel or something for indoors.

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
This is a great time of year for FREE long lasting treats. If you have any hunter friends have them give you the deer legs. I'll let mine chew them for a short bit of time but keep an eye on them to throw away once they get the skin off and hoofs down quite a bit. They mostly chew the hoofs down and tear the fur off. They can spend hours on a deer leg. I always have a couple defrosted for a fresh treat and you can fit quite a few stacked up in a doubled up plastic grocery bag to fit neatly in the freezer.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is a great time of year for FREE long lasting treats. If you have any hunter friends have them give you the deer legs. I'll let mine chew them for a short bit of time but keep an eye on them to throw away once they get the skin off and hoofs down quite a bit. They mostly chew the hoofs down and tear the fur off. They can spend hours on a deer leg. I always have a couple defrosted for a fresh treat and you can fit quite a few stacked up in a doubled up plastic grocery bag to fit neatly in the freezer.
Good idea... Thx!

·
Mom of the Herd
238 Posts
Take the skin & fur off??? Oh sorry, I'm one of those people hunters hate (husband is X-hunter) I have deer feeds on our property and NO HUNTING everywhere.: LOL !!! I'm NOT putting a deer leg in my frig, I think I'll stick with store bought treats and chews. Don't all the hunters gang up on me, I understand the over population and why they have to be thined out. But I know FOR sure there will never be a LEG of any kind (maybe a chicken leg) in my frig, free or not...... Yuck !

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Take the skin & fur off??? Oh sorry, I'm one of those people hunters hate (husband is X-hunter) I have deer feeds on our property and NO HUNTING everywhere.: LOL !!! I'm NOT putting a deer leg in my frig, I think I'll stick with store bought treats and chews. Don't all the hunters gang up on me, I understand the over population and why they have to be thined out. But I know FOR sure there will never be a LEG of any kind (maybe a chicken leg) in my frig, free or not...... Yuck !
Feeding raw, you never know what you'll find in my refrigerator at any given time. I keep a drawer in my main fridge and a shelf and both drawers in my garage fridge just for raw products and my freezer outside is used for freezing the meat and "nasty stuff". You lose a lot of squeemishness after feeding raw for a while to keep cost down and learn a lot more about deer anatomy than anyone would typically care, 80 lbs of free red meat every couple weeks (and more if wanted) is worth a little squeemishness, not to mention, my dogs love it.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Double check to make sure anything you buy is not from China do not trust anything from there.Was reading on a package at Petsmart chicken breast dried almost bought them seemed they were made in the USA.Nope little print at the bottom on the back of the bag made in China. Now not sure if the package was made in China or the chicken but not taking chances I put it back.
I have a round de-hydrater anyone do their own chicken breast ??? would like to do one package for Christmas allot of dogs in my family.The de-hydrater was used so do not have allot of recipes with it.Thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts